Difference Between Editions of the Blood Wars CCG
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 am 

I've been getting back into playing the Blood Wars CCG, and I'm just now realizing that there are 3 editions of the main game.  From the limited pool that I've seen, the cards appear to be identical (with the exception of the Roman numeral indicating the edition).  If there are any Blood Wars players on this board, would you please let me know what the general differences are between the 3 editions (if any difference at all)?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:32 pm 

Not 3 editions but actually there was the Basic game and 3 different card expansions.  

Each expansion a contains additional powers and stuff to add more variety to the game.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in Difference Between Editions of the Blood Wars CCG:Not 3 editions but actually there was the Basic game and 3 different card expansions.  

Each expansion a contains additional powers and stuff to add more variety to the game.

Outside of the 3 Escalation sets, there were also 3 "editions" of the base game.  I know it's confusing - but that's what I'm trying to get to  the bottom of.  Some fan sites call them prints, others refer to them as editions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:54 pm 

The 'editions' of the base game are just different print runs of the starter decks. You can tell on the starter deck box:
    -first edition coded 1128
    -second edition coded 1128B and shows a II in roman numerals on both the boxes and the cards
    -third edition should be coded 1128C (don't have any 3rd cards or boxes myself) and should show a III on box and cards,
The cards and art are all the same for these (300 cards).

Then there are the 3 series of expansion packs - all of these only have 1 printrun, so no II or III on the cards:
    -Rebels and reinforcements (299 cards out of the base set, plus 33 new chase cards and one ultra rare the Lady of Pain). The card from the base set not included is Bladeling Hero which is only found in starter decks.
    -Factols and factions (134 cards)
    -Powers and proxies (134 cards).

If you need a list of cards, more info or would like to trade just let me know.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm 

Fulnitus wrote in Difference Between Editions of the Blood Wars CCG:The 'editions' of the base game are just different print runs of the starter decks. You can tell on the starter deck box:
    -first edition coded 1128
    -second edition coded 1128B and shows a II in roman numerals on both the boxes and the cards
    -third edition should be coded 1128C (don't have any 3rd cards or boxes myself) and should show a III on box and cards,
The cards and art are all the same for these (300 cards).

Then there are the 3 series of expansion packs - all of these only have 1 printrun, so no II or III on the cards:
    -Rebels and reinforcements (299 cards out of the base set, plus 33 new chase cards and one ultra rare the Lady of Pain). The card from the base set not included is Bladeling Hero which is only found in starter decks.
    -Factols and factions (134 cards)
    -Powers and proxies (134 cards).

If you need a list of cards, more info or would like to trade just let me know.

Welcome to the Acaeum, Fulnitus.  Thank you so much for the information - this helps tremendously.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:15 am 

Thanks for the welcome!

If you want to start playing the game again I would recommend tracking down a copy of the warlord's tactical manual (TSR 1140) if you don't have it already. The rules are better explained than in the starter deck booklet, it contains optional rules (also for 2-player games - similar to those presented in Dragon 227) and strategies. It also corrects some balance issues. It contains pictures of all the cards in the game and also has more info on card distribution and the like.

Also, I forgot to mention 1 release in my list above, the guardian Molydeus promo (1 card, available only at gencon in 1995)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:48 am 

Apologies if i raise the question again,   is there any online check list of all the cards of this game? I found several lists but never complete...
Thanks and ciaoo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:21 am 

Hello aia,

All cards except the guardian molydeus promo card were listed in Dragon magazine (115 - base set plus rebels and reinforcements chase cards, 118 - factols and factions expansion, 221 - powers and proxies expansion). The warlord's tactical manual also contains a complete overview.

If you don't feel like looking those up you can pm me your e-mail address and I'll send you an excel file with a complete card list.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:47 pm 

you can see upgrade from base set to II edition

For time I did not find any modification between the second and the third edition

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:43 pm 

Fulnitus wrote in Difference Between Editions of the Blood Wars CCG:Hello aia,

If you don't feel like looking those up you can pm me your e-mail address and I'll send you an excel file with a complete card list.

I published a pretty good spreadsheet on BoardGameGeek. Blood Wars download section.