Is (Traveller) 2300 AD a new 'hot' game?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 am 

I'l, start in May gamemastering this great game (well, I don't like the mechanics, but I'll use the BRP sci fi rules  8) )and I noticed prices quite high for what I thought an obscure little game. Is that something 'seasonal' or was (Traveller) 2300 AD always a sought for line?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 pm 

I'd be interested to know which Traveller 2300/2300 AD books are fetching "high prices"?  I have all of them...picked them up a few years ago.  The only ones that I had problems getting cheaply, IIRC, were:

Invasion
Operation Overlord
Colonial Atlas

And I think the most I paid was for the Colonial Atlas ($20 IIRC).  The deck plans are probably a bit more uncommon but I got them all pretty cheap.  And for whatever reason Bayern took quite a while for me to find.  Never seemed to come up as much as the others.  Most of these I would think you should be able to pick up for under $10, except for the box sets obviously.

A few of the adventures are very well written.  Mission Arcturus and Bayern are both interesting reads IMO.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 am 

Well, the prices are high if you're purchasing a copy of Traveller: 2300, which happens to have nothing to do with Traveller yet is rare as hell. 2300AD is more affordable and much easier to play, as explained here. Supplements and adventures are a dime a dozen, and I got all of mine for $5 each new, years ago.

I have 2300AD, but always wanted to see what was different between the two games.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:41 am 

Traveller wrote:Well, the prices are high if you're purchasing a copy of Traveller: 2300, which happens to have nothing to do with Traveller yet is rare as hell. 2300AD is more affordable and much easier to play, as explained here. Supplements and adventures are a dime a dozen, and I got all of mine for $5 each new, years ago.

I have 2300AD, but always wanted to see what was different between the two games.

Well Nyotekundu is hovering around £ 7, not bad. Traveller 2300 rare as hell? Let me bid again  :P  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 am 

Well, this is really a sign of significant interest  8O

** expired eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:01 pm 

Alexander1968 wrote:Well, this is really a sign of significant interest  8O

That doesnt make a whole lot of sense, especially when I see prices like this:

And here is some additional proof that the majority of the 2300 AD line, while well written and interesting to read, isn't worth squat:

Much better prices here:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 pm 

Perhaps the fact all the auctions/listings you listed are in the Barbarian Steppes of the New Continent has something to do with the price?  :P

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:37 pm 

It would seem regardless of area, they are worth bo-diddly really though at that kind of price for so many books!  8O

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:00 am 

Alexander1968 wrote:Perhaps the fact all the auctions/listings you listed are in the Barbarian Steppes of the New Continent has something to do with the price?  :P

*grins*...wishful thinking.

Traveller: 2300 wasn't as well written as 2300AD was. The link I provided earlier explains the differences, but regardless, the system simply isn't a popular one, which is why you can find the supplements for a song and a dime. If I were to speculate on the lack of popularity, it likely has to do with the fact the game originally was labeled Traveller: 2300. Everyone expected it to be the Traveller ruleset with a new setting. When people didn't get what I think they expected, they became disappointed. At that point, relaunching the game with a new name and a host of supplements following it wouldn't have helped keep the game afloat IMO.