Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 44 of 111123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:26 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Some Outlaw press and others recently published T&T items

"SPECIAL PRINT 1985 " from outlaw press

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and the others
eBay listings

Keep in mind that Outlaw Press is run by a dishonorable man.  When he can print and re-print whatever he wants whenever he wants, any value attached to Outlaw Press items is questionable.

I don't remember where that Acaeum thread is, but here is a page with an excellent summary of Outlaw Press' activities:

. . . http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/2010/08/13 ... evil-acts/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:37 pm 

True!

It is just for one who want to read some T&T recent books for cheap. I don't think prices would be high on these ones.

Never saw the PLAYER'S COMPANION and the TRIVIAL DEATH before (this last one is "copyright 1985" apparently, but looks to be a reprint too)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:36 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:any value attached to Outlaw Press items is questionable.
Y'know, I just realized that I have a vague memory of a Jimmy Shipman from early RPGA days, 1980s. No clear recollections, but problems, nothing good. A wannabe author praps (who didn't have what it took). :/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:44 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:Keep in mind that Outlaw Press is run by a dishonorable man.  When he can print and re-print whatever he wants whenever he wants, any value attached to Outlaw Press items is questionable.

I don't remember where that Acaeum thread is, but here is a page with an excellent summary of Outlaw Press' activities:

. . . http://mxyzplk.wordpress.com/2010/08/13 ... evil-acts/

Regardless, community behavior is somewhat contradictory in the manner in which different people are treated. And there's more than a hint that "status" plays a part in that, sadly.

James, for example, had the full support of Ken St. Andre barely a year before regardless of known copyright violations, rumblings from Rick Loomis, etc., because he deemed that bringing products back into print and encouraging/producing new material was a positive that far outweighed those negatives. It was only right at the last minute that Ken ditched James, hard...
So, now James is a total outcast (and, to be honest, I can see why he might be more than a little bit aggrieved at the manner in which he's been treated) whereas I don't recall seeing (m)any people critiquing Ken for fully encouraging James for a several years. Strange, that.

Meanwhile, in the blue corner, "we" are more than happy to do business with fraudsters like Pete Kerestan who deliberately sold RPG-related fakes as genuine items where he never had any permission from anyone for doing so. If James is "a dishonorable man", where does that put Pete?

Add to which, I could mention those community members who share illegal copies of commercially-produced RPG-related material and even run boards for that purpose...

===

Anyhow; more-or-less on-topic, there's a new reprint of Monsters! Monsters! from FBI (apparently) now on sale at NKG for reasonable money.
(And if that /is/ the book cover, I'll just have to presume the deal with the (c) owner for the art wasn't just a one-off BITD ;)).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:45 am 

faro wrote:Regardless, community behavior is somewhat contradictory in the manner in which different people are treated. And there's more than a hint that "status" plays a part in that, sadly.

James, for example, had the full support of Ken St. Andre barely a year before regardless of known copyright violations, rumblings from Rick Loomis, etc., because he deemed that bringing products back into print and encouraging/producing new material was a positive that far outweighed those negatives. It was only right at the last minute that Ken ditched James, hard...
So, now James is a total outcast (and, to be honest, I can see why he might be more than a little bit aggrieved at the manner in which he's been treated) whereas I don't recall seeing (m)any people critiquing Ken for fully encouraging James for a several years. Strange, that.

Meanwhile, in the blue corner, "we" are more than happy to do business with fraudsters like Pete Kerestan who deliberately sold RPG-related fakes as genuine items where he never had any permission from anyone for doing so. If James is "a dishonorable man", where does that put Pete?

Add to which, I could mention those community members who share illegal copies of commercially-produced RPG-related material and even run boards for that purpose...

===

Anyhow; more-or-less on-topic, there's a new reprint of Monsters! Monsters! from FBI (apparently) now on sale at NKG for reasonable money.
(And if that /is/ the book cover, I'll just have to presume the deal with the (c) owner for the art wasn't just a one-off BITD ;)).

Because Shipman blatantly used dozens of artists work without their permission and I have never seen any proof that St. Andre new about this. Hell, almost no one realized this was going on till some guy in South America spotted it and was originally blasted by a bunch of people supporting Shipman till it all started coming out.

Saying that other people are just as bad doesn't change the fact that Shipman deserves all the shit he is getting.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:08 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:Because Shipman blatantly used dozens of artists work without their permission and I have never seen any proof that St. Andre new about this.

I don't make a habit of dropping personal emails onto public fora but take it from me Ken knew what was going on in general /long/ in advance and still approved of the work done by James. He might not have known every single last detail of every piece of artwork but (c) violations are (c) violations whether text or art.

JasonZavoda wrote:Saying that other people are just as bad doesn't change the fact that Shipman deserves all the shit he is getting.

"Worse", from the above example.
Nope, not saying that; just that there are double standards in spades on the general topic of (c) theft from the community as a whole.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:43 am 

faro wrote:If James is "a dishonorable man", where does that put Pete?

Yes, the two cases are similar.

Since the scandal broke in late 2009, James has impersonated Ken St. Andre in e-mails and edited the T&T Wikipedia article.  People treat him as a pariah, but he keeps making things worse for himself.  The first thing to do when stuck at the bottom of a hole is to stop digging.

If James would come clean, settle with artists, and stop doing such acts, then the pitchfork mob would go away.  If Ken St. Andre forgave him, then he could start over with official and legal versions of his products (legal artwork, official approval reinstated, etc.).  Yeah, all of that is unlikely, but he needs to mend fences if he wants to come back to the RPG neighborhood.

Meanwhile, in the blue corner, "we" are more than happy to do business with fraudsters like Pete Kerestan who deliberately sold RPG-related fakes as genuine items where he never had any permission from anyone for doing so.

Pete was an illegal recaster; I don't know if he's still recasting, legally or illegally.  If no one has complained since that spate of complaints, then he has stopped selling illegal recasts.  I honestly had forgotten about him and bought some legitimate minis from him in 2009 or 2010.  The other auctions that I saw appeared genuine.

Our hypocrisy is does not make James any less or more wrong.  We'll all meet in the Eighth Circle anyway.  :)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:14 pm 

RaR! $100 starting bid

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:17 pm 

And from the same seller as the RaR! A wilderlands boxed set $100 starting bid

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:22 pm 

Necromancer CSIO ending SOON! $50 starting bid and now bidders yet. Not the lowest price I've seen recently but not ridiculous either.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:03 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/BARDS-GATE-D-D-3-5- ... 2eaf8c4a09

Necromancer Bard's Gate $10 bin

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 pm 

Looks complete with maps.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:22 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Necromancer Bard's Gate $10 bin

I couldn't pass that one up...waited to long on the last one of these that was reasonable, lol.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:38 pm 

SoulCatcher78 wrote:
I couldn't pass that one up...waited to long on the last one of these that was reasonable, lol.

Bard's Gate is also mentioned quite a bit in the Slumbering Tsar book. I believe it is suppossed to be the closest city. Other than that I see Necromancer books getting harder to find at bargain prices. 224 page hardcover with map for $10 + shipping.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:45 pm 

Another $10 bin for Bard's gate. (same seller)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:40 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:We'll all meet in the Eighth Circle anyway.  :)

At least we'll all be in good company then.   8)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm 

Fluffy Quest $20 bin

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:08 pm 

The author is selling is own copies too

(he already sold several one, including the rarer white cover edition)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 44 of 111123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 109110111