Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm 

Yes, 1000. Flat. NG stated so many times.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:41 pm 

serleran wrote:Yes, 1000. Flat. NG stated so many times.

You mean the wilderlands boxed set or RaR? Wonder how many they still have on hand of either?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:51 pm 

Both, as I recall.

If I could access their forums, I could probably pull up a link to the statement, as I remember them being asked (in relation to how many made) and the answer was 1000 for Wilderlands (and also that they paid like $5k just to get the rights to use the Frazetta.)

Not sure they have any copes of either of them, except maybe personal copies. I know when Wilderlands sold at GenCon, when it debuted, it was a hot item and was pretty hard to get because it sold out quick -- they had to get more shipped in which is where mine came from.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:02 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Mars you've been coming out with some bizarre price quotes recently. When did the wilderlands boxed set ever commonly sell for $20-40 on ebay? Not in the last 4 or 5 years at least.

Maybe I am losing my mind or in a time bubble.  Let me check...

I remember the Wilderlands boxed sets were still in a cheap state when this was posted on Dragonsfoot:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 9&p=678974

That post/thread was a little less than 1.5 years ago.  At that point, I think the store was selling them off the shelf for $50 which was comparable to what they were selling for on Ebay.  I bought my copy the summer before that for $40 (it was open) and I believe Egg_of_Coot bought one for $25-$30 a bit before that.  Most of the sets on Ebay around this time sold for under $50.

The $100+ range for Wilderlands has only been happening for the last year and a bit.  It had the same production number as RAR but doesn't seem to have sold nearly as well and just isn't in the same demand.

For a lot of these items, I really don't think they will hold their value too well.  It could be that D&D 4e is such garbage that more people want to continue with 3.5 and get these items or maybe it is the Necro Games collectors holding up the prices.  But it is easy to see how for some of these "collectibles" that a flooding of the market with 10 copies just decimates the price.  DCC35 is a prime example of that.  Has the market recovered on that one yet?  When was the last Castle Zagyg that sold for over $200?

Anyone know (or have an idea) of how many copies of City of Brass were produced?  Were only 1000 of these produced as well?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:19 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Mars you've been coming out with some bizarre price quotes recently.

What other price quotes do you think have been bizarre?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 pm 

Here's a thread from about a year and a couple months ago:

viewtopic.php?p=128377

Wilderlands wasn't even initially mentioned as a collectible.  And at that time it was regularly selling for around cover price.  1.5-2 years ago it was usually around half cover price but starting to climb.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:54 pm 

Mars wrote:
Maybe I am losing my mind or in a time bubble.  Let me check...

I remember the Wilderlands boxed sets were still in a cheap state when this was posted on Dragonsfoot:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 9&p=678974

That post/thread was a little less than 1.5 years ago.  At that point, I think the store was selling them off the shelf for $50 which was comparable to what they were selling for on Ebay.  I bought my copy the summer before that for $40 (it was open) and I believe Egg_of_Coot bought one for $25-$30 a bit before that.  Most of the sets on Ebay around this time sold for under $50.

The $100+ range for Wilderlands has only been happening for the last year and a bit.  It had the same production number as RAR but doesn't seem to have sold nearly as well and just isn't in the same demand.

For a lot of these items, I really don't think they will hold their value too well.  It could be that D&D 4e is such garbage that more people want to continue with 3.5 and get these items or maybe it is the Necro Games collectors holding up the prices.  But it is easy to see how for some of these "collectibles" that a flooding of the market with 10 copies just decimates the price.  DCC35 is a prime example of that.  Has the market recovered on that one yet?  When was the last Castle Zagyg that sold for over $200?

Anyone know (or have an idea) of how many copies of City of Brass were produced?  Were only 1000 of these produced as well?

Mars mostly I think you post selective collectors prices and for the other part you post collectors wish list prices. A wise collector knows that with patience they can get almost anything cheap just by waiting for the next one. Unfortunately your price quotes do not take into account what a seller can get by selling with patience.

The wilderlands boxed sets were rare as hens teeth before the recent swing to higher prices.  You were able to scarf up a cheap copy because you are an experienced collector/reseller. You quote two sales in how many years?

You are an experienced collactor. You contact publishers, authors and old retailers, then buy up their stock utilizing your experience and knowledge. The only thing I see as objectionable is when you quote ridiculous prices.

Yes, wait and you will see daystar west and wee warriors items pulled out of back rooms for a couple of dollars. Wait and you will see someone find a real treasure. It happens, but it doesn't represent a reasonable retail value for those items, and honestly neither do most of the price quotes I've seen you pull out of the air in the last few months.

Take Gnats sale of necro's CSIO a couple of weeks ago. It went for half of what similar copies had just sold for and ones that sold afterwards. It happens, but you look at a reasonable time period, and what prices these items are available for, and you compare worth with the buying power of the dollar.

Value quotes here need to be seperated between a collector looking for quick cash and a quick turnover, and a seller looking to get a reasonable price with a little patience.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:17 pm 

serleran wrote:Both, as I recall.

If I could access their forums, I could probably pull up a link to the statement, as I remember them being asked (in relation to how many made) and the answer was 1000 for Wilderlands (and also that they paid like $5k just to get the rights to use the Frazetta.)

According to this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=7548&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=wilderlands&start=40

....there were 2000 of the Wilderlands box sets printed.  So someone has their numbers mixed up.  Not saying it's you....just saying its someone.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:18 pm 

I've no problem being wrong, and very well could be. I just know the print run was larger than 500.

[edit]

OK, just did a quick search through the NG forums, of what I could, and it seems the 2500 quote comes up more often in reference to the Wilderlands box. So, I'm going to retract that 1000 number and go with Plaag and say it was 2500. That's a sight more than 500.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:07 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote: The only thing I see as objectionable is when you quote ridiculous prices.

Again, an example of any of these prices I have quoted that you question would be appreciated - if you want some clarification.  I don't think I quote anything that would be considered a "ridiculous price".  If anything my quotes are general prices of things and are normally qualified with statements such as "most copies go unnoticed and can be had for cheap, etc".  I think my quotes are 99.9% of the time bang on but it all depends on the item.

If you are going to give real quotes, you need to take into consideration all the prices, not just the highest one that has happened in the last year.  If you are asking about selling prices vs buying prices then those are 2 very different things.  Again, someone asking about a buy price today is very different from someone who is going to buy over a few month period.  Similarly for selling, I generally give a price where it may take a bit of time (a top end price) or a get rid of it today price or a sell it in a lot price.  There are lots of factors that influence price.

Just a hint though - Wilderlands boxed set has never been "rare as hens teeth".  Waiting a month or at most two for a copy to show up on Ebay is not what I would consider rare - maybe uncommon.  2 years ago these regularly sold for $20-$50.  A year ago, they finally made it to cover price, and now they are selling for more than that.  So far, this year, we have seen 5+ of them sold some higher some lower.  The recent one may be the lowest of the bunch but it still contributes to the quote - you can't just dismiss it.

Same thing with Gnats CSIO.  It was a fair auction, even publicized well but sold low.  That shows where the lower bound on the price should be.  It also shows that if you are a bit of a patient buyer you can get it for that price or pay more if you want it now.

and a seller looking to get a reasonable price with a little patience.

I think this is the crux of it - a reasonable price.  When people ask for a quote (generally buying), I will quote then a reasonable price - taking into consideration both high and low prices.  I generally find that you shoot more for the topmost end or higher price and dismiss anything that sells low.  Giving someone a high quote with the hope that it may sell (but most likely not) in a year or two is not reasonable imo.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:12 pm 

Yeah I do track the Necromancer Games Judges Guild items so the prices are about right - not on my computer so couldn't check what's the past year or so been going for these.  As for the print #'s, I got those directly from Bill Webb when I asked, Players/Caverns are 2500, CSIO/Wilderlands Box Set 2000, since the Player's book at the time did not sell out they printed less of the Box set (which was expensive but they wanted the cover art as it is) and CSIO was hardback.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Imagine-Magazine-Is ... 439fa55a3c

Anyone looking for a full run of Imagine (hefty price)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:31 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

No Special Edition included!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 pm 

I take it two copies of #28 doesn't make up for that? :)

Seems way high to me without a seriously hefty "best offer" reduction...

Checking back, I hadn't spotted that the first two dozen Polys went for over $10 each on  
: a bit better than might've been expected at present, IMO, even with mailing covers?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:36 am 

&

from the same seller.. Isn't it always the way, wait ages for one and then loads pop up within weeks of each other...  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:

Having watched individual sales & group sales of these, even a full 30 mag set would only be worth around £60 ($80?) tops. If you shopped and waited to get a few here and there, you'd probably get change out of that even.

I've (from a rough memory) only seen the Special Edition go out for sale once in the last 2-3 years and it was around £15 (?) IIRC  :?

I think I'd pay that now for a copy if I could get one...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:00 am 

Remember to check all the pull-outs. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:44 am 

faro wrote:Remember to check all the pull-outs. :)

I watched 10 pull-out mods for for £2.00 just this weekend, with free P&P...  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 22 of 111123 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 109110111