Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 111123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 109110111
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:02 am 

Actually, I tried. But my friends wasn't interested in. The game is more fitted to be used as a supplement for CoC.

The supplement is pretty hard to find.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 pm 

(aside) heracleides is back to selling some modern forged copies of Traveller 'zines again; alongside the originals in a few cases! :)

Thankfully the Signal GKs that went for $1,650ish appeared to be genuine vs. the few original copies here...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:27 pm 

faro wrote:(aside) heracleides is back to selling some modern forged copies of Traveller 'zines again; alongside the originals in a few cases! :)

Kind of a last minute bubble burster eh?  Which are the forgeries and I would be interested in knowing how to tell?  Especially since there have been quite a few serious collectors buying this stuff already.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:34 pm 

I am surprised the traveller collectors haven't been jumping all over this guy, but then I have been surprised at the reaction to forgeries and breaches of copyright in a lot of non-D&D communities. I think protection of IP and the feeling of contempt towards the sale of fakes is peculiar to D&D collectors, and stronger on this forum than on other D&D forums.

It appears to be seen as morally acceptable to sell 'reproductions' in a lot of games genres.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:36 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Kind of a last minute bubble burster eh?  Which are the forgeries and I would be interested in knowing how to tell?

The most obvious are those with wrong covers (they've sold fake copies of The Wanderer already... followed by the genuine ones a long time later), wrong size, or inkjet banding on early 1980s 'zines - such as the Miser's Hoard just finishing;

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

More difficult to tell for sure on some of the others (especially the manuscripts?) and I know they do have many genuine items, too.

mbassoc2003 wrote:I am surprised the traveller collectors haven't been jumping all over this guy, but then I have been surprised at the reaction to forgeries and breaches of copyright in a lot of non-D&D communities.

From those buyers I'd been in contact with many months back via the seller's feedback list (after they ignored my inquiries, then blocked me, eBay took no action, then made all their listings private), quite a few were well aware they were buying illegal copies at a few bucks a time. A different ballgame, perhaps, when listing fake Alien Stars immediately after the early originals sold for up to $89 each.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm 

faro wrote:or inkjet banding on early 1980s 'zines - such as the Miser's Hoard just finishing;

:lol:

That was the only one of those in that batch that I was bidding on.  Wasn't too buggered that I didnt win as I dont normally go for fanzines.  Thought it looked interesting though.

I'm not all that serious about this seller's auctions mainly because of the fact he/she privatises bidder's identities.  More than a few of these past auctions have gone for quite a bit more than expected which makes one think that there is the possibility of shilling taking place.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sheesh!  8O

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm 

That much for deck plans?

And I thought $80 for the Battletech blueprints was high.
Is it due to very few being printed?

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 pm 

Scathaigh wrote:That much for deck plans?

And I thought $80 for the Battletech blueprints was high.
Is it due to very few being printed?

The fact is that I consider myself a pretty ardent Traveller collector and there  is a lot of stuff that you just don't see very often.  The biggest problem being that when you search for Traveller on Ebay, most often it's the same depressing items over and over again.  This is probably because of the way that Traveller was published.  GDW produced tons of items like TSR did, but unlike TSR they did a lot of licensing and so these "small press" items were both prolific and rare.  There were a lot of companies that produced Traveller, but not very many were successful.  These items also seem to be getting much rarer quickly.

MT

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 pm 

faro wrote:(aside) heracleides is back to selling some modern forged copies of Traveller 'zines again; alongside the originals in a few cases! :)

Thankfully the Signal GKs that went for $1,650ish appeared to be genuine vs. the few original copies here...

Way too bright of a cover.  Other problems...the black borders on the magazine titles went all the way to the edge, not ending before it on both sides.  I would guess same problems with the Parasec.

Sadly if these don't go crazy I might bid on a couple just because the rarity is such, even a copy would be okay just so I could see the material inside.  It might be my only chance.

MT

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 pm 

macteets wrote:The fact is that I consider myself a pretty ardent Traveller collector and there  is a lot of stuff that you just don't see very often.

That is because heracleides has all of it in his garage.  :lol:  

I know a handful of Acaeum people have bought from this particular seller and thus should have a name.  Anyone recognize the name and know if the seller worked for any of these small press outfits BITD?

macteets wrote:These items also seem to be getting much rarer quickly.

The handful of items from the last go round of auctions that I was watching (and unsuccessfully bidding on) were so rare that I honestly say that I have only seen one or two on Ebay in the last five years.  It would be interesting to see some of these rarities and unpublished works find their way onto RPGNow or Lulu or even compiled onto a CD like Far Future Enterprises did a few years ago with a lot of the more common Traveller items.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:The handful of items from the last go round of auctions that I was watching (and unsuccessfully bidding on) were so rare that I honestly say that I have only seen one or two on Ebay in the last five years.  It would be interesting to see some of these rarities and unpublished works find their way onto RPGNow or Lulu or even compiled onto a CD like Far Future Enterprises did a few years ago with a lot of the more common Traveller items.

I had the same problem, lots of interest...not enough money. :D

MT

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I know a handful of Acaeum people have bought from this particular seller and thus should have a name.  Anyone recognize the name and know if the seller worked for any of these small press outfits BITD?

His name is Jerry Sanders. But I am not sure he is the Mayor of San Diego...

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:28 am 

I find it interesting that these KNOWN to be fake Traveller items are not being reported at all, even though this seller has repeatedly listed copies known to be fakes.
Yet other items are reported within moments of being listed.

Some members here appear to be chosey about what they report....  :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:

As for the silliest auction price thread... some auctions are not reported even if they are insane...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:I find it interesting that these KNOWN to be fake Traveller items are not being reported at all, even though this seller has repeatedly listed copies known to be fakes.
Yet other items are reported within moments of being listed.

Exactly how do you know that they werent reported?  Based on what Faro stated here:
From those buyers I'd been in contact with many months back via the seller's feedback list (after they ignored my inquiries, then blocked me, eBay took no action, then made all their listings private), quite a few were well aware they were buying illegal copies at a few bucks a time.

I expect that at least he reported them as being illegal copies.  Unfortunately, there isnt a lot of information out there to easily discern what is a copy and what is not.  And not everyone posts in the "report sellers that infringe copyrights" thread when they find something, especially if they arent 100% sure if its a fake.

Unless of course you think there are people that are reporting something as fradulent just so they can try and get a good deal on it.  That would be a pretty difficult claim to prove....especially since bidder identities are hidden for this particular seller and thus items won wont show up in a buyer's purchased list.  And looking at feedback wont show the item either, just a private listing.

But that isnt what you are suggesting are you?  8O

lokiwookie wrote:As for the silliest auction price thread... some auctions are not reported even if they are insane...

What's the point?  Some people just won't listen to reason.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:05 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:

As for the silliest auction price thread... some auctions are not reported even if they are insane...

I say we lynch the handsome Devil. As Evil as he is charming, I've been told.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:09 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
I say we lynch the handsome Devil. As Evil as he is charming, I've been told.

"Everyone should be put to the question.
If they survive, they can join the ranks.
If not, the wolves feast.

The gods will sort out the mess, afterwards.
And we have our fulfillment."

~Scathaigh~
~Lord Nobody~

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:24 pm 

Scathaigh wrote:
"Everyone should be put to the question.
If they survive, they can join the ranks.
If not, the wolves feast.

The gods will sort out the mess, afterwards.
And we have our fulfillment."

"Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit."

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 102 of 111123 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 109110111