Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 111123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:52 am 

WOTC scored a home run with Magic, The Gathering.

Then, against the better judgement of some of the company's highest ranking people, they took on the Pokemon franchise and ended up printing and selling cards in the billions.

They struck it rich two times.

It was Magic and Pokemon, along with the licensing properties associated with D&D, that interested Hasbro and subsequently made everyone in the company a millionaire.  I doubt the people at Hasbro know anything about D&D other than its name value.

Huge influxes of money are great for a company, but they can be dangerous as well.  Money is finite, as are gold rush windfalls.  They can lead to arrogance and bad decisions that end up sinking everything.  

WOTC, for instance, opened a chain of mall stores across the country that had small chance of paying for themselves.  When Hasbro bought the company, they first used these stores as a way to dump crappy merchandise from their warehouses and them closed them down.

Hasbro also closed down WOTC's world headquarters building, which was like a funhouse for gamers in the Seattle University District.  (Although, I have to say that this money-loser was cool as hell, and it was exactly what I'd do if I had $500 million in my game company pocket.)

That is what happened at TSR in a somewhat different pattern.

TSR branched out into books, boardgames, science fiction RPG's, superhero RPG's, post-apocalyptic RPG's, multiple versions of Dungeons and Dragons, cartoons, movies, dice games, the Saga system RPG and dozens of other ill-advised ventures.  

This was part of a trend that also included behind the scenes mistakes like hiring way too many staff and paying for company cars, a new corporate building and all of the other trappings of big business that drain resources.

Sadly, their decline also included poor quality game materials for 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Unlike some others, I am not a WOTC hater.  I just think that WOTC is showing signs of senility.  This is most clear in their creation and handling of 4th Edition D&D, which has alienated a huge proportion of their core customers.  

The efforts of WOTC to build a cool, online empire were ludicrous (Gleemax!) and at least 10 years behind the technology online gamers have come to expect....so they fired their computer people, which was a good move, but should have been done two years earlier.

I hope WOTC recovers, puts out a stripped-down D&D 5th Edition and returns to the path of wisdom.  We'll see.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:19 am 

FormCritic wrote:Unlike some others, I am not a WOTC hater.

Um.. okay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 am 

Oh shit Mark I had all but forgotten "Gleemax".  I was at Gencon the year it debuted.  The general reaction was "WTF?" to the 100th power. Thanks for dredging up that painful image.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 pm 

Lost Shrine of Kasar-Khan (not the boxed version):

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:42 pm 

All kinds of awesome going on here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130578464978

(If/when the page gets yanked, I'll post a copy - too good to be missed!)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:All kinds of awesome going on here:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

(If/when the page gets yanked, I'll post a copy - too good to be missed!)

Hey Steve,

That was just awesome and great way to start the week. :)

How the heck do you find this stuff?

Best regards,

Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 am 

Hey everyone,

Seller has some great items up for grabs (JG, Role Aids, etc)

eBay listings

International shipping too. :)

Best regards,

Ronald

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:00 am 

rhynne wrote:Hey everyone,

Seller has some great items up for grabs (JG, Role Aids, etc)

eBay listings

International shipping too. :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Wonder what the BINs were before they were bid on.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Wonder what the BINs were before they were bid on.

Hey Jason,

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember that some of the items didn't have a BIN, just an opening bid.

The ones that I am pretty sure didn't have BIN's were:
Nanorien Stones
Beastmaker Mountain
Gen Con IX Dungeons
Inferno
First Fantasy Campaign
and
Wraith Overlord.

Best regards,
Ronald

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:33 am 

Some pretty impressive prices on small press stuff lately.

I bid $62 on this "Search for the Lost City" bit didn't win:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Was going to bid on this 1st print Melanda, but decided if I wanted to fork out the bucks I'd go for one with the dice (has anyone seen one with dice?). It went for $112

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330613125077 ... 136wt_1135

Was tempted to bid on this also. Casciano's 1977 'Book of the Dragons'

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Was going to bid on this 1st print Melanda, but decided if I wanted to fork out the bucks I'd go for one with the dice (has anyone seen one with dice?). It went for $112

I don't think Melanda ever came with dice.  Character generation doesn't even use them.  I think this is the 3rd copy of this one I have ever seen and none have had "dice".  None of the 2nd prints (which show up a few every year) have had dice either.  You might be thinking of Witch Hunt or something like that.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm 

Ending prices are really surprisingly high.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

Casciano I expected to go that high. That copy of Milanda is pretty rare, but I wouldn't have expected people to be willing to pay that much for it. Maybe $30-40 too expensive IMO.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Casciano I expected to go that high. That copy of Milanda is pretty rare, but I wouldn't have expected people to be willing to pay that much for it. Maybe $30-40 too expensive IMO.

Agreed, probably $30-40 high but it is the nicest of the 3 I have seen and is rare and I've been looking for a copy for 8+ years now.  The list of items I need is also getting shorter so I have been a bit more aggressive when they do show up.  I think all I need for Melanda is a 1st print Lake of Parity then it will be complete.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm 

Well, congradulations then. :D
What are the other things on that 'Want List'?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm 

Mars wrote:
Agreed, probably $30-40 high but it is the nicest of the 3 I have seen and is rare and I've been looking for a copy for 8+ years now.  The list of items I need is also getting shorter so I have been a bit more aggressive when they do show up.  I think all I need for Melanda is a 1st print Lake of Parity then it will be complete.
i noticed that he called it copy #90, and i was skeptical, so i looked at mine, and sure enough there was a little #80 in the upper left hand corner looking exactly the same. and iirc i got my copy directly from John Corradin about 18 years ago(and before anybody floods him with requests, this was a beautiful last copy that they had set aside, but we were old strat-o-matic baseball buddies, and they knew of my collection, so they helped me out). i'm assuming that the reason hermit from pluto is referencing dice is because the bible, aka heroic worlds, references dice. but the copy they gave me did not have any, nor did any of the other copies of the second edition that they had around....

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:46 pm 

rhynne wrote:
Hey Jason,

I'm not 100% sure, but I remember that some of the items didn't have a BIN, just an opening bid.

The ones that I am pretty sure didn't have BIN's were:
Nanorien Stones
Beastmaker Mountain
Gen Con IX Dungeons
Inferno
First Fantasy Campaign
and
Wraith Overlord.

Best regards,
Ronald

I was checking the completed auctions for this seller and there were some low priced BINs showing. Wondered if someone had tried to low ball these items with hopeful bids.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:53 pm 

Mars wrote:
I don't think Melanda ever came with dice.  Character generation doesn't even use them.  I think this is the 3rd copy of this one I have ever seen and none have had "dice".  None of the 2nd prints (which show up a few every year) have had dice either.  You might be thinking of Witch Hunt or something like that.

Mars is right, I have owned about a half dozen copies over the last 20 years, none have had dice.

Mike B.

EDIT:  I apologize, this was a 1st print, I have owned exactly one and it was given to me by the author(s) for helping to auction off some of their stuff on the old RPG marketplace on Usenet.  It didn't have dice, either.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 94 of 111123 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 109110111