Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:01 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I am not a miniatures collector, but this lot seems interesting. Some (including the most risque miniature I have ever seen) the Seller says were bought in the TSR shops when it was in Gary Gygax's house.

eBay listings

Not the most risque miniature I have ever seen.  American Eagles in Ballard used to stock others.  They date from a way less politically correct time.

I have been looking for the notation where the seller claims to have bought them at Gygax's house.  I can't find it.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:29 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Not the most risque miniature I have ever seen.
I have been looking for the notation where the seller claims to have bought them at Gygax's house.  I can't find it.

Must've been distracted? ;)

=>

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

(nsfw?)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Last edited by faro on Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 pm 

FormCritic wrote:...I have been looking for the notation where the seller claims to have bought them at Gygax's house.  I can't find it.

This figure was purchased at the old TSR [Dungeon and Dragons] shop in Lake Geneva, WI when it was still located in Gary Gygax's house on Williams Street in the mid 1970's.  My dad was a long time toy soldier collector and traditional wargamer and Gygax often asked his advice and bounced ideas off him when we were in his store.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:35 pm 

I'm still not seeing it.   :scratch:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:41 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I'm still not seeing it.   :scratch:

Down; below the pics. :)

===

Minot - Thane Tostig

Stretching Rack, Operator & Victim

#TT23 & TT23

Condition:  Near Mint.  I see no damage to this figure.  The photos don't do these figures justice, they are beautifully painted.

Size: 25mm

Material: Metal [Pewter]

Date: 1977

Details:  It was primed to protect the metal and then painted with the finest flat paints available.

This figure was purchased at the old TSR [Dungeon and Dragons] shop in Lake Geneva, WI when it was still located in Gary Gygax's house on Williams Street in the mid 1970's.  My dad was a long time toy soldier collector and traditional wargamer and Gygax often asked his advice and bounced ideas off him when we were in his store.

>>CLICK HERE to view similar Fantasy Figures<<

About the Company: Designed by Barry Minot in the late seventies, these were interesting, if somewhat small even for 25mm, ranges. As a source of dungeon artifacts, they were great.

Made in England.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:15 pm 

faro wrote:Either the previous buyer reneged on the auction or the seller has a whole stack and can't be bothered to photograph each one. ;)

Apparently the latter, as it turns out I know the buyer and he says he got it.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
Apparently the latter, as it turns out I know the buyer and he says he got it.

Was it truely mint in shrink?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:18 am 

Seller has a number of nice Cthulhu items:

eBay listings

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Was it truely mint in shrink?

Haven't seen it, but I'm told it was in shrink/bag/whatever that is in that picture.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:34 am 

Hey everyone,

Seller has some Tekumel books.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thought some of you might find it of interest.

Best regards,

Ronald

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:40 am 

Hey everyone,

I thought this was interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-Tolkein-Middle- ... 0747702088

The Middle Earth books in the lot are not anything special.

What caught my eye was The Mines of Keridav.

Is anyone here familiar with that book?

Best regards,

Ronald

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 am 

It is the 2nd module from Phoenix Game (after Lost Abbey of Calthonwey). And it is the 1st print of this module, then reprinted by Gamelords (another cover art). I prefer this Bob Charrette cover art. Nice little module. Can be played with any FRPG since stats are generic.
Definitely worth picking one!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:42 am 

The problem with the Gamelords reprint of Keridav is that they xeroxed the brown maps and they look blocky and black, look ugly and are hard to read. The cover aret of the Gamelords Keridav and Caeldo are great. It's just that the content is let down by poor printing and bad typesetting. Still, it was a long time ago and people didn't understand these things back then.

In those days you could use the justification that you can lower the quality in order to reduce price and make a product viable for the gamer. Nowadays with a level playing field there is no excuse for publishing tripe when the next guy is publishing something like LotFP or Slumbering Tsar with the same tools and print outlet.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 am 

I am wondering if it exists different prints of each version.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:34 am 

rhynne wrote:Hey everyone,

I thought this was interesting:

The Middle Earth books in the lot are not anything special.
What caught my eye was The Mines of Keridav.

Is anyone here familiar with that book?

Best regards,
Ronald

I was lucky to find a 1st Print copy of Mines of Keridav on e-Bay a few weeks ago.

I (sort of) figured out what it was right away as I already had a copy of the Gamelords 2nd print of that adventure.

I thought it HAD to be an earlier print (before Gamelords) and once I got it, I saw that I was right.

I bought another module from the same seller that I had been searching for, for a long time.

The Demon Pits of Caeldo

The two adventures tie into one another with encounters, NPCs, scenarios and tie ins that make them easy to use together and they can be inserted into almost any Fantasy campaign setting.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:59 am 

The Mines of Keridav is not too difficult to find and usual sells fairly cheap (even the Phoenix version) - often $10 or under.  The tougher one to get is the first Phoenix module "The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey".  It is hard to find and in excellent shape would normally approach $100.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

I thought Demon Pits of Caeldo were as common as white boxes. NKG have been selling them for years and don't seem to be running out of stock. Gamelords probably hove box loads too.

The Phoenix Keridav is certainly a much superior product to the Gamelords offering. Thankfully Caeldo doesn't suffer from such poor and unreadable mapwork. I suspect Keridav was printed in a hurry with no thought given to the user or the quality of the product. That seemed to end that product line with them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:25 pm 

One (possibly) interesting bit of triva...via Conan Lloyd, son of Kerry Lloyd...

Keridav is a contraction of Kerry and Dave...the two authors of the module.

(OK...back to the relevant discussion)

PreviousNext
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Page 76 of 111123 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 109110111