Pre-d20 Kingdoms of Kalamar help needed
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am 

I bought most of these books probably 5 or so years ago.  At the time, there were a couple copies floating around I wouldn't say that any of them were plentiful.  It took a little while for a couple of them to show up on Ebay.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:41 pm 

A complete answer from DSK:  http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/showthread.php?p=913645

So, pretty much as we had surmised.

Text, if you don't want to click...

Given the interest from the other thread, I thought I'd save some time and let you know what's what.

The first printing was supposed to be 2000 copies. The maps were done first (2000 of each poster map -- 1000 pairs folded and 1000 flat). We only had 500 covers available and began selling it at origins 1994 in San Jose Ca. The dark grey heavy stock cover, 2 books (Sourcebook of the Sovereign Lands and Mythos of the Divine and Worldly) packed in a plastic bag with two maps and a hex grid overlay (alternatively, at the con, one could purchase the maps flat and rolled in a cylinder instead to avoid the creases). Only a few of those went through distribution, most were sold that summer direct at Origins and then GenCon.

That fall we printed ~5000 boxes (the burnt orange cover of the ranger facing off against the stone giant) and another 4000 or so maps. We also re-did the layout and reprinted the books (still 2 volumes), this time with a less expensive sepia cover. This was the boxed-set.

Around 1996-7 we began selling the books individually, but they didn't have a color cover so we printed a 2-sided 11x17 poster with a cover for each book and shrinkwrapped it over each volume. This allowed us to sell them individually for a cheaper entry point than the $30 boxed set. The Sourcebook of the Sovereign lands had the maps with it.

A couple of years later (2000-1) we revamped the books, added in a city book that Lloyd Brown submitted (this became integrated into the main text) and some other features to make the 3.0 hard back campaign setting D&D book. By then we were sold out of the originals (other than a few copies of overflow that didn't match -- we had extra Vol 1s and not enough Vol 2s to make matched sets any more).

After 4.0 D&D came out we made the 4.0 PDF product (which, of course, incorporated the Atlas).

Personally, I'm most looking forward to the next version...

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 am 

My second-printing copy of Sourcebook of the Sovereign Lands does, in fact, have a cover sheet--artwork of a couple of armored knights fighting, with a product list and KoDT panel on the inside.

And, yes, it's kinda flimsy; the book itself is cherry, but the cover sheet has some corner damage at this point.  :/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 pm 

Hmm, thought this was settled, but this is the box set with 1st print books, instead of 2nd.  I guess some must have been left over to be used in the boxes... maybe?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 am 

I think its a frankenstein too.  The modules were released a fair bit later so wouldn't have come in the box with the 1st print books.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:14 pm 

But (in theory) if Kenzer had extra 1st print books laying around, and threw some in boxes when they were assembling them, would that be a Frankenstein?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:18 pm 

No I wouldn't call that a Frankenstein but this box is missing the maps and the modules in the box are from a later period so most likely none of these books originally came in the box.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:45 pm 

Says it has maps.  May be able to see one in the lower corner of the second picture (still in the box).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 pm 

Hmm.  Quite possible then - makes me want to crack open my shrink box to check it :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:19 am 

Mars wrote:Hmm.  Quite possible then - makes me want to crack open my shrink box to check it :)

Zip it!!! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 am 

Mars wrote:Hmm.  Quite possible then - makes me want to crack open my shrink box to check it :)

Every box of this I've seen in person has had the 2nd print books.  So I think it's more anomaly than print run difference.  So more like a 1st+ or 2nd- in the notation around here.

I don't see this as a big deal, just thought it was a little interesting. (And I hadn't threadbumped in a while...)

Maybe I'll bump the thread over at Kenzer and see if any light can be shed.

EDIT for update from Kenzer forum:

David_S_Kenzer wrote:I think we may have put some grey books into the boxes, yes.  BTW, the grey  books have pretty nice (expensive) paper covers compared to the brownish ones.

So there you go.  As I guessed.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:59 am 

I won this boxed set and received it today. And it is a different print.
The box itself is the same as the 2nd print. However, maps included do not have the mention on bottom: "The kingdom of Kalamar is produced blah blah blah". The bottom is blank. So at least two different prints for the map, which leads to 2 different prints for the boxed set. BTW, the greyish books have been included in the 1st print of the boxed set.

I have a sheet reproducing the back of the box, but with "Welcome Friend, to a riveting realm of high fantasy" on top of the sheet (which is not written on box). And no hex sheet is included.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm 

Apologies in advance, closest Kenzer thread I could find on short notice.

Anyone have a D20/D&D-licensed # 1114 The Dark Secret of Death Isle from around 2002.  I can't find an image anywhere and am not sure it was released?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 pm 

I have 1100-1107, 1109-1113 and 1115, but no 1108 or 1114. I have never heard of Death Isle.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 am 

Thanks stratochamp!  That'll keep the Wanted list nice and tidy. Cheers :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:36 am 

Hi Stratochamp & Thunderdave,

Here is what I could find on the titles you were inquiring about:

List of KoK titles, including those that were cancelled: TSR Dungeons & Dragons Archive: Kingdoms of Kalamar

It appears that "Dark Secret of Death Isle" should be listed as cancelled as well, based upon this forum thread:
What happened to KEN 1114 Kalamar: The Dark Secret of Death Isle?

Hope that helps ... if you guys are looking for other Kenzer & Co. stuff, they have decent online store: Kenzer & Company
Although it is tough to see all of the titles, as they are indexed on separate pages.

Thank you - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:38 am 

Definitely wasn't published.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 am 

There was/is some more titles available at LuLu.
Eventually, I'll get them scanned and up on the wiki.

Edit - It's D20 stuff on LuLu.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

PreviousNext