Tunnels & Trolls fakes
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:22 am 

yep...got the spam just the other day.  This guy is like a bad penny...

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 am 

Ran across this auction.  Seller list most of the books as published by Outlaw Press.  Should I assume that these products are in violation of copyrights?

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:45 pm 

And he's back!!!

Scamwatch: James L Shipman II And Outlaw Press - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:58 pm 

Badmike wrote in Tunnels & Trolls fakes:And he's back!!!

I felt dirty bidding on the True West RPG offered by Tadashie (authored by Shipman) even though it might be a legit photocopy.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:33 pm 

Heh.

What I love about this place is I can be about member for three years and still feel like a gatecrasher. These old threads that highlight your experiences with scammers, ebay cranks and other niche nerd nemeses simply reinforce that feeling.

That being said, I shared this story on FB this morning and it has been my most commented on and shared post ever (Why, oh why not a link to the webstore?). His brazenness strikes a nerve apparently, but can he honestly be doing this for the money? Or is this some strange case of revenge fantasy? Mental Instability?

I am at a loss. Interesting post though.

Zach

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:07 pm 

He offers enough stuff that people who don't know his story would buy from him and think its legit.  A number of the items he has obtained the okay from authors to publish and sell (unknown to me whether the new artwork used is legit or not).  But he basically has continued on since 2009 so he must be doing well enough.  Not all of the copied images have been replaced though - his Outlaw Games logo is a character taken from The Realm comic.

I wonder what percent of his business is legit (50/50)?

It reminds me of an older story about an online business that sold eye glasses - they would basically screw over about 10% of their customers (take their money, refuse to send product, swear and threaten them if they called to complain, etc).  They were so bad that they had lots of cases on the better business bureau and lots of websites had threads complaining about them.  Since all of these credible websites had links to the glass seller, they ranked no 1 in Google search and made large profits (until ultimately exposed but this was the case that prompted Google to alter how their search engine ranked links).

Previous