LuLu order arrived today
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:37 pm 

These people really know how to pack items. I almost hate to open these things, they are sealed onto a backing board like art prints.

Picked up Fight On! 1 &2 , Stonehell Dungeons and Supplement VI the Majestic Wilderlands (went for the brown booklet version). They look fantastic, but it will take me some time to go through them (especially as the semster started today and Im trying to get a mentoring/ study group project off the ground).

EDIT: Please add any suggestions here for further LuLu items to try out.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:43 pm 

The economy OSRIC hardcover?  That would be my suggestion  :D   I've bought a number of things on Lulu and haven't been disappointed yet (except for the shipping costs but what the heck.)  Got the items you just order and love each and every one.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:49 pm 

simrion wrote:The economy OSRIC hardcover?  That would be my suggestion  :D   I've bought a number of things on Lulu and haven't been disappointed yet (except for the shipping costs but what the heck.)  Got the items you just order and love each and every one.

I have AD&D and all I play is 1st edition with house rules. Isn't the Osric hardcover a rulesystem book based on AD&D?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:38 pm 

I can't complain about their shipping at all.  I have heard serious complaints from people in Canada and Europe but I guess that is to be expected.  I purchased 3 books just a couple of weeks ago and spent $7.98 on shipping.  Yeah, it seems a bit high since it isnt priority mail but as Jason mentioned, they pack it really well.  I've probably purchased about 10 or 12 items off of Lulu so far and nothing has come crumpled, scratched, dinged, etc.

And when I accidentally chose perfect bound instead of saddle-stitched on Knockspell #2, they shipped the other items (Majestic Wilderlands & Stonehell) separately since the copy of Knockspell apparently wasnt ready.  They shipped Knockspell a few days later and didnt charge any additional shipping.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:These people really know how to pack items. I almost hate to open these things, they are sealed onto a backing board like art prints.

Picked up Fight On! 1 &2 , Stonehell Dungeons and Supplement VI the Majestic Wilderlands (went for the brown booklet version). They look fantastic, but it will take me some time to go through them (especially as the semster started today and Im trying to get a mentoring/ study group project off the ground).

EDIT: Please add any suggestions here for further LuLu items to try out.

I picked up a copy of Labyrinth Lord last year and I have to agree that their packing was damn near bomb proof.  It put to rest any reservations I had about the cost of shipping the item.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:05 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I have AD&D and all I play is 1st edition with house rules. Isn't the Osric hardcover a rulesystem book based on AD&D?

I believe so, & as such is the most daring of all D&D clones, since it doesn't really fall under the OGL, & doesn't otherwise have a deal with WotC like HackMaster did.

I used to argue about this all the time on D&D newsgroups back in the 1990s, before the OGL. You can't copyright game mechanics, so it should be legal to do what OSRIC is doing. But despite this, TSR had effectively limited D&D-based material.

There was a lawyer named Aaron Pound who would argue the other side, that D&D game mechanics could be restricted. Then when the OGL debuted, a WotC VP named Ryan Dancey hit the newsgroup to argue the new party line - essentially the same point, that without the OGL, D&D game mechanics could be restricted by the copyright holders.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 pm 

Got my remaining order yesterday and have to agree with everyone about the packing.  They do a great job.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:58 am 

hmm.. just look at what I have left to collect for 1st and 2nd ed ( :) ).. I was wondering if yuo could get things like the freely released Birthright stuff (ie http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/br/br-regency.htm) printed at Lulu?/ Just would like to get a "nicely" professionally printed product? is this possiable?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 pm 

Use coupon code CABIN to save 20% off any order.  Offer good through 1/18 (max savings $50).

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 pm 

So you picked up anything interesting recently, Jason? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 pm 

grodog wrote:So you picked up anything interesting recently, Jason? :D

What I am looking at so far is Knockspell #1 & #2 and Fight On! #3,4 & 5

Any suggestions?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 am 

I've heard a lot of good things about Savage Swords of Athanor:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... or/7857720

I ordered a copy last week but havent received it yet.

Mutant Future also gets high praise:

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... 29/2562623

Simplified version of Gamma World from what I read.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:20 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:What I am looking at so far is Knockspell #1 & #2 and Fight On! #3,4 & 5

I got my Fight On! #3 in the mail yesterday.  It is the first one I have ordered and I decided on it instead of the others simply because of it's Judges Guild content.  While reading through it I was absolutely blown away by all of the great stuff in there.  Rob Conley's Wild North addition to the Wilderlands, James Mishler's County of Haghill article, and the fifth circle of Hell from Geoff Dale were particularly enjoyable.  The only real complaint for me is the layout of the articles.  I think Knockspell is a bit cleaner looking and easier on the eyes while reading.  Fight On! #3 was $10 and is 150 pages.  Knockspell #2 is only 86 pages while being a dollar more.  Both seem to have a good amount of artwork mixed in with the articles and advertisements.

I will definitely have to pick up the other issues of Fight On!.  I will continue to pick up Knockspell as well, but I wonder about the page count and price differences.  I dont know anything about publishing but maybe a few other people can fill me in.  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 pm 

Keep in mind that Knockspell uses a much smaller typeface than Fight On, so a page-count comparison isn't an accurate gauge of word count. My guess is that 64 pages of Knockspell is about the same word count as 80-90 pages of Fight On.

Mainly it's about the way print-on-demand works versus the way regular printing works. Originally, we were using lulu.com to print and fulfill Knockspell in the same way that Fight On does, but there were lots of glitches in the system. Lulu kept changing their shipping rates, failed on several orders in Europe, and definitely tacks on surcharges to their shipping rates. They also hit a point when their customer service department seemed almost to shut down and stop responding to people who got mis-printed copies of things (they might have gotten their shit together again - I don't know).

By working with Black Blade instead of lulu, we keep the shipping costs to customers down, but we have to pay closer attention to up-front cost, since we have to fund the print run before we sell the copies -- hence keeping the page count down by using a smaller font.

Matt

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 pm 

Was there a review someplace for Stonehell Dungeon?

What I first thought was this product wouldn't be that good just by looking at it, but I can say what I've read so far I like a lot.  The maps could be better, but the short descriptive style written in this product is great.  now I can see why it has been recommended.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm 

Plaag wrote:Was there a review someplace for Stonehell Dungeon?

What I first thought was this product wouldn't be that good just by looking at it, but I can say what I've read so far I like a lot.  The maps could be better, but the short descriptive style written in this product is great.  now I can see why it has been recommended.

ShaneG.

The only reviews I have seen for Stonehell are on the various role-playing blogs.

Looks like there is a pretty decent Lulu discount going on right now.  15% off your book order using the code VALBOOK.  Good through 2/14.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:29 pm 

Plaag wrote:Was there a review someplace for Stonehell Dungeon?

ShaneG.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 38&t=40522

Short review on DF

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 am 

has anyone bought from lulu in the UK? do they ship at a good price?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Next