Brave Hafling Publishing to publish S&W: Whitebox
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:27 am 

Weren't you one of the ones that ordered in the first "offering" of it? I ordered much later, so I didn't expect to receive anything other than the 2nd print. But if you're in the original group they should somehow work something out with you.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:21 pm 

misterspock wrote:Weren't you one of the ones that ordered in the first "offering" of it? I ordered much later, so I didn't expect to receive anything other than the 2nd print. But if you're in the original group they should somehow work something out with you.

Yes I ordered a first,that is why I am a little angry.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:45 pm 

Let me try and clear this up because many folks were confused by it. The first printing of the WhiteBox RPG took place in 2008 I think and it was an 8.5" x 11" product.

The text of the WB booklets are all 2nd print. All boxed sets use the "2nd printing" of the WhiteBox RPG. We finished working on that text in December of 2009 and it was only formatted for digest size. Not a single boxed set using the WhiteBox RPG 1st print text.

The only real differences between the boxed sets is this:
The first 50 boxed sets had a different box (from my first box maker) than all the others. These boxes included b&w print wrap on the top and bottom pieces of the box.

Now the first 125 boxed sets sold had a pad of graph paper while the rest of them had either a pad or ten loose character sheets. In addition, the first 125 boxed sets also came with a pencil. Those are the only real differences in the boxed sets.

However, when I release more WB boxed sets in the fall, they will not have four booklets. Instead, WB will be broken down into just two booklets - a player's book and a referee's book.

But none of the boxed sets are the 1st printing of the WB.

Brave Halfling Publishing

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:41 am 

My mistake, Igues Iwil keepthe set now :oops:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:My mistake, Igues Iwil keepthe set now :oops:

Naw, I think I discussed each released batch of the boxed sets as "1st print run, "2nd print run" and such. I will have to be more precise with products descriptions next time.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:My mistake, Igues Iwil keepthe set now :oops:

Why don't you ask him where you can acquire a 1st print.  :wink:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:43 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:
Why don't you ask him where you can acquire a 1st print.  :wink:

Cause I have no idea. There are some folks who were upset that I did not use the original Pete Mullen cover used in the 1st print run of WB and I suspect they have their own, private lulu.com account where they let their friends order new, WB 1st print run books.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:50 pm 

Wanted to thank John on this forum, for taking care of me after I got a crushed box.
(No fault to him as the packing was fine.
The postal service had obviously crushed the package...)
He sent me a new box at no cost to me.
Now what to do with the crushed box... :?

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:27 pm 

Yes, technically the very first printing of the WB text was done through lulu as a perfect bound book. This means, from a collector standpoint, they would be very, very easy to counterfeit by actually duplicating the files and having lulu print them. So beware of that if you're creating a collection. These have a Pete Mullen illustration of giants throwing rocks at adventurers in a snowy area.

I think fewer than 100 of these were printed and sold. My estimate would be somewhere between 80 and 90. The last time I specifically checked it, the number was at 76, but that was still a couple of months before I licensed WB to BHP.

I have one of these first printing books, obviously, and if it really becomes a matter of interest for the collecting community I can bring it to the next RPGCon for someone to look at it and see if there are any identifying characteristics of that print run (lulu changing paper later, any flaws that wouldn't exist in a counterfeit, etc.). Since I still have the files uploaded at lulu, I could even run my own "counterfeit" for someone to check and see if there is a difference such as paper weight or something from the way it's printed.

The other issue is that lulu prints its softcovers on US printers for the USA, and in Europe for European customers. And they do it on different POD printers even in those areas. So it might actually be impossible to completely verify that something is a true first-printing copy.

Matt

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:36 pm 

Mythmere1 wrote:Yes, technically the very first printing of the WB text was done through lulu as a perfect bound book. This means, from a collector standpoint, they would be very, very easy to counterfeit by actually duplicating the files and having lulu print them. So beware of that if you're creating a collection. These have a Pete Mullen illustration of giants throwing rocks at adventurers in a snowy area.

I think fewer than 100 of these were printed and sold. My estimate would be somewhere between 80 and 90. The last time I specifically checked it, the number was at 76, but that was still a couple of months before I licensed WB to BHP.

Well I'll be damned. I actually have one of these. I had no idea so few were printed and sold.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:34 am 

Hi,

my box arrived to me today, in the UK.

I don't mind about the wait, but I don't like being lied to about it.

I did email them asking about it, and was assured by John Adams on 18th May that it had shipped that day.

Parcel clearly said 3rd June on the postmark.

Coincidentally, 3rd June was when I emailed again, asking for a tracking number.

Bad form.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am 

The same for me. He said that the boxes have been shipped on may, but the postmark say June the 3rd.

Additionnaly,  the top of one box is crushed :(

What should be a complete content of the 2nd print run? The 2 sets I received are not the same :/ Only one pencil, only 7 sheets in the pad in one, and 10 in the other, etc. I read that there would be the Vile Worm.... module and a pencil in it.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:26 am 

Hi,

my 2 boxed sets are different.

One has a Vile Worm scenario and a map in, the other doesnt.

Cheers,
malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

my 2 boxed sets are different.

One has a Vile Worm scenario and a map in, the other doesnt.

Cheers,
malc

My two box sets contents are also not the same.
And I got both sets at the same time in the same package.
The reasons for this was explaned to me when I contacted John about one of the boxes having been crushed in the package during shipping.
He sent me another box to replace the crushed one.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Well I'll be damned. I actually have one of these. I had no idea so few were printed and sold.

The vast majority of the buzz about Swords & Wizardry came from the Core Rules - WB was a very niche product until Coleston published boxed sets of it. The .. say ... first 50 sales came very fast, and then sales tailed off quickly. Part of that is because WB had a very aggressive errata thread, while the Core Rules basically had only very small tweaks between the first and second versions. People held off buying WB because they knew the web fan-base wanted a fair number of changes.

If these things are actually going to be collectible, I can look through the sales on Lulu and find out what the real number is. It will take a while since they report month by month with no running total, but it can be done.

(The reason the book's original print numbers are so small is because the pdf is free - once there was a box, that equation changed).

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:21 pm 

Mythmere1 wrote:
The vast majority of the buzz about Swords & Wizardry came from the Core Rules - WB was a very niche product until Coleston published boxed sets of it. The .. say ... first 50 sales came very fast, and then sales tailed off quickly. Part of that is because WB had a very aggressive errata thread, while the Core Rules basically had only very small tweaks between the first and second versions. People held off buying WB because they knew the web fan-base wanted a fair number of changes.

If these things are actually going to be collectible, I can look through the sales on Lulu and find out what the real number is. It will take a while since they report month by month with no running total, but it can be done.

(The reason the book's original print numbers are so small is because the pdf is free - once there was a box, that equation changed).

I see. I purchased the original WB rulebook solely for the cover art, which I think is totally bitchin', LOL. I have zero interest in OD&D or S&W. To the best of my recollection I've never even cracked the book open, so the scads of errata wasn't a problem for me--I never knew it was an issue until just now.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:57 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
My two box sets contents are also not the same.
And I got both sets at the same time in the same package.
The reasons for this was explaned to me when I contacted John about one of the boxes having been crushed in the package during shipping.
He sent me another box to replace the crushed one.

Thanks!

I contacted John and he said that this print run does not have pencil in it. But the sheet pad is incomplete. He didn't give any information about the module however.

Anyway, he offered to ship other boxes to replace the crushed one as well.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 pm 

I included a free module with each order (no matter how many boxed sets were ordered) as my way of trying to make up for it taking so long to ship.

I sent RPGNOW.com coupons (check your spam filter) to lokiwookie and lawrenson since they clearly weren't shipped when I told them they were.

PreviousNext