Seren Ironhand:  more info sought!
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:38 am 

nn wrote:Damn, Lost out on a "Seren Ironhand"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5907836240

Never seen one before - how rare are they? And Is it any good ?

Wowza!  That sounds cool.  Tom Moldvay is one of my favorite designers, and (drumroll please) he's the most likely culprit for creating "Treasures of the Dragon Queen" and my Ahabian quest for this module! :D

I also am unfamiliar with this module.  Anyone in the know care to spill the beans about it?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:12 am 

This is what AfterGlow's site said:

"These releases are using the Challenges Game System which is just another derivate of D&D, so there should be no trouble using them. Thanks to James Sinks for the titles.

CH 1 - The Morandir Company
CH 2 - Seren Ironhand - Tom Moldvay module from 1986. 34 pages plus player handout. James Sinks wrote that it was the best adventure he has ever seen, so I take this as a recommendation.
CH 3 - The Mountain King
Only CH 2 "Seren Ironhand" ever was printed and released, there are no copies around of CH-1 and CH-3, so don't bother to look for them. Just why Challenges International only released the second part of a trilogy is not known, and unless you find the author there is not anything else to learn."

Other than that, my Google search turned up nothing.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:12 am 

dzubak wrote:Thanks to James Sinks for the titles.

When I get the module I'll take a look through it and let all of you know more about it.  The funny thing is I thought I already had this module but couldn't find it in my inventory papers anywhere.   :?
I've always liked Tom Moldvay since Slave Pits of the Undercity.  The A series is probably my favorite (it's so hard to choose from the classics, though).  

And does anyone know whatever happened to James Sinks?  He used to be one of the most active members of frp.marketplace in the late 90's and even started the Yahoo! mailing list for DnD collectors.  And then he just disappeared.  He was a darn nice guy, too.  I hate to think the worst... anyone know?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:37 am 

If you end up with a spare, dathon, I'll happily trade for your less-nice copy :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:28 pm 

Or me! (actually a photocopy/scan will do fine)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:22 pm 

Evil scanner/copier DEMON BE GONE!

(nn, we typically frown mightily on those that scan or copy items they don't own... tends to make collecting just another 'warez' hoarding thing)

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:23 pm 

Im Chaotic Evil.

But seriously Dathon, do post a review...at 50$ its got to be fantastic for me to want to buy it.

What would you swap your other copy for?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:48 am 

William---

Have you rec'd this gem yet?  Any first impressions? :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:03 am 

Frank, IIRC you beat me to the last one of these to hit eBay:  have you had a chance to digest it yet??

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:46 am 

I wasn't all that impressed, after the hype. I'll give more detail tomorrow, when I paw thru it again.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:00 pm 

Hey, you can chime in too, William :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:00 pm 

grodog wrote:Hey, you can chime in too, William :D

I haven't had a chance to look through it much yet.  I just received 70 pounds of MERP that I have to go through as well.   :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:19 pm 

Perhaps someone can share some thoughts on this module as the holiday weekends round to a close?   Pretty please? :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:16 am 

I didn't like it, I am going by memory here, but the basics of it was-

You have to track down these river pirates. That was what struck me initially as cool. But the river cuts through a mountain, and all the encounters are off of cave dungeons that open along the river while it is in the mountain.

The river pirates are in one of the dungeon, a bunch of drow, along with some mix breeds like dark elf trolls.

Another dungeon is the home of the cat people, who are the lords of all cats. That reference is unexplained.

It was similar to the Caves of Chaos from B2, but with less caves and more bizarre creatures.

There is a reference to a comic that was supposed to be published along with the series, an NPC is mentioned who's story was supposed to be in the comic. I assume the comic was never released.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:32 pm 

Well, at long last I finally broke down and paid too much money for a copy of Seren Ironhand (you're evil, Ian ;) ).  

I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through it so far, but here are some first impressions:

• my copy came with a player handout, a "Royal Commisssion To Undertake Pirate Eradication" on parchment-like paper, with color stamps for the royal seal and the court scribe
  • the intro mentions that "The three adventure modules are also related to the fantasy graphic novel: Morandir: the Crown of Corlann.  Like the first and third Challenges module, this also doesn't seem to exist (no results found via google, Amazon, or ABE)
  • the adventure looks quite interesting, and I'll dig in for more detail later

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:53 pm 

Sorry for the necromancy, but having read through this recently too I wanted to add (which you may know by now) that:

grodog wrote in Seren Ironhand:  more info sought!:Well, at long last I finally broke down and paid too much money for a copy of Seren Ironhand (you're evil, Ian ;) ).  

I haven't had a chance to do more than flip through it so far, but here are some first impressions:

• my copy came with a player handout, a "Royal Commisssion To Undertake Pirate Eradication" on parchment-like paper, with color stamps for the royal seal and the court scribe
  • the intro mentions that "The three adventure modules are also related to the fantasy graphic novel: Morandir: the Crown of Corlann.  Like the first and third Challenges module, this also doesn't seem to exist (no results found via google, Amazon, or ABE)
  • the adventure looks quite interesting, and I'll dig in for more detail later

Seren Ironhand was the only one published, and (it looks like) the only one written. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:58 pm 

I do believe that Grodog has been working on bringing us CH1 and CH3 but I'm not sure if he has prepub editions of these or author notes or if they are his own creation.

Challenges Tom Moldavy

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:03 pm 

Mars wrote in Seren Ironhand:  more info sought!:I do believe that Grodog has been working on bringing us CH1 and CH3 but I'm not sure if he has prepub editions of these or author notes or if they are his own creation.

Challenges Tom Moldavy

No, I have complete typed manuscripts for CH1 and CH3 from Moldvay.  Still need that clone spell, though ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Next