Archaeron Games System
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:07 pm 

Did anyone buy this new?  Does anyone know if the two modules and character sheets were originally sold separately or as a set?
Heroic Worlds lists the two modules separately but I bought them (used) as a set.

Error 404 - Not found

Error 404 - Not found

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:37 pm 

Heh, was trying to find info on this, and the third link on Google came back to this post :)

Anyone know about the Archaeron Games System? Details seem awfully skimpy online :(

Picked up the "Mages" book for $3 at a FLGS, figured it might be worth something to someone :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:46 am 

McDuff wrote:Did anyone buy this new?  Does anyone know if the two modules and character sheets were originally sold separately or as a set?

Heroic Worlds lists the two modules separately but I bought them (used) as a set.

Error 404 - Not found

Error 404 - Not found

Wow!  I thought these were supposed to be fantasy medieval role-playing games!  But that Warrior on the cover is packing some pretty heavy guns.   :twisted:

And, is that second publication titled Mage?  It looks like it ought to be titled, Enchanted Hairdresser.   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:09 pm 

*reads above post*

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:45 am 

I never quite understood what is this.

Archaeron game system is a fantasy RPG? Or are they just a set of combat rules and magic rules adaptable to any fantasy rpg?

I noticed that they were developed by Wilf Backhaus, does this mean that they are a "first attempt" to what would become later "Chivalry & Sorcery"?

In particular, i would like to have information about "Mage", because i'm seriously thinking about buying a copy. Does it contain a new spell and magic system? If so, it is worth using it? (i mean, i really hope this is something different from AD&D magic system, and i'd be happy if it contained some innovative or fascinating ideas or mechanics..)

Besides, i would never buy this if it was just a mere collection of spells and their effects..

Thanks in advance  :D

Last edited by vault keeper on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:59 am 

I forgot about this one too. :D
The world of OD&Desque games systems is a lot larger than you think.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 am 

They were both reviewed in "Different worlds" issue #28, which is one of the few issue of that magazine that i miss..

In the meantime, i reached my copy of "Heroic worlds", to find more information.

It says that Archaeron -Mage- is a "fantasy magic system with complex rules for spellcasting".

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:36 am 

I had the pleasure of proofreading an article on a variation to the D&D magic system for someone over on DF. I don't know if it was destined for publication in Footprints or one of the online pay for 'zines, but it was a very good piece of work. I'll need to go chase it down and find out where it was printed. It promised to be a most simple and playable variation to the Magic system I've read over the years. It'll be good to find out how well it went down.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 am 

[...] and my curiosity grew even bigger today when i read this sentence:

"The use of this magic system in an actual role-playing campaign seems pointless"

taken here:

index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?artic ... leid=14847

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 pm 

It is a whole magic system rather than just another spellbook.  It is a supplement for the "Archaeron Game System" but I don't know if this system was ever fully developed.  I tried contacting Wilf a number of times but never received a response.  I have never seen a copy of an AGS core book but a set of character sheets was produced.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 pm 

There is also the Challenge Game System from Tom Moldvay. He, more than most, should have had a valid opinion on the playability of D&D, and Clint Bigglestone is bound to have published a games system variant. And if you're looking at magic systems, you can't overlook Bonewitz.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:11 pm 

Bonewitz?

As for "Archaeron" - Mage-, reading "Heroic worlds", it says that it is similar to "Chivalry & Sorcery".

Anyway, i think i found my copy of DF 28, so i'm going to read the review and i'll let you know something more soon  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:49 pm 

Vault keeper wrote:Bonewitz?

The late P.E.I. Bonewits, author of Authentic Thaumaturgy.  Y'know, the guy with the large glasses and even larger pipe.  :)

. . . Isaac Bonewits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:19 am 

Please someone can help me find the Archaeron review contained in "Different worlds" issue #28? (it should be one or two pages long, i suppose)

index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?artic ... leid=14847

I have the review in "Space gamer" but it seems that the one in DF is far more exhaustive, long and complete.

if you can help me, please send me a PM

I'd be grateful, thanks in advance :D