Jorune Questions
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:19 pm 

I was always intrigued by the Skyrealms Publishing ads in Dragon magazine back in the day, but never got around to picking up the Jorune boxed set when it was in-print. My interest was reawakened recently by the couple of Jorune auctions on eBay (though I didn't bid on them), and I started doing some research on the web.

Before long I was really intrigued (read "totally sucked in") and ordered the '85 set from Wayne's World. I haven't felt this way about a "new" game since I bought my first AD&D hardcover back in 1980... I'm so pumped I can barely stand it, both as a gamer and a collector. I find the rules surprisingly straightforward, and though they diverge quite a bit from the run of the mill offering (no hit points?), not as off-putting as I expected. The artwork is just F'ing incredible, which combined with the ingenious basic premise and rich background makes the setting really come alive for me.

Admittedly I'm displaying the fanaticism of the newly converted, but I don't think my enthusiasm will wane anytime soon. So, I have a few questions that I'm hoping people more familiar with the game can help me with:

2nd edition:
1) I have already acquired the 2nd edition boxed set and all 9 issues of White Wolf (8 - 16) with 2nd ed. SoJ material in them. I have Companion Jorune: Ardoth and CJ: Burdoth on the way. Earth-Tec Jorune seems to be the only remaining "published" 2nd edition "must have" item. Is it any good from a gaming perspective, or just superfluous fluff? How much do these normally go for?

2) Clearly I'll be trying to pick up "Shanthas of Jorune ... and a Ramian" and "Playing the Iscin Races". I'm guessing these go in the $100 - $200 range on eBay if/when they come up. Do you guys ever see auctions for these? If so, roughly how often?

1st edition:
1) I get the impression that the 1st edition "core" book is a lot different than the 2nd edition, and not necessarily in a good way. I'm sure it would be interesting from a historical and game development standpoint, though. Are these as ridiculously rare as they seem to be? Any thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

2) Basically, same question about "Maustin Caji". Is the recent eBay auction ($137, I believe?) about what I should expect to pay? Do they appear more often than once in a blue moon?

3rd edition:
1) Is it the clusterf*&( it seems to be?

2) If "yes" to #1, is there enough new artwork by Teves in the main book to make it worth the $15 - $20 despite that fact?

3) Do the other supplements for 3rd ed. have any redeeming qualities whatsoever? I'm getting the impression not so much.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh! Also, do the posters, t-shirts, or corastin masks EVER come up on eBay? I'd love a poster, especially.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 pm 

this old thread talks about Journe etc..
2nd ed
1) there have been quite a few Earth-tec book up lately.. approx $50 .. maybe less

2) I haven't seen up for auctions.. but i haven't been looking that hard..

1st ed

1) Yes rare, seen couple.. last one went for a nice BIN.. I was not in the right place at the right time

2)no they don't, I should have bid more;)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:31 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:2) Basically, same question about "Maustin Caji". Is the recent eBay auction ($137, I believe?) about what I should expect to pay? Do they appear more often than once in a blue moon?

I'd half-expected $200+ but the market's weak at present. ;)
=> viewtopic.php?p=108108#108108

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:32 pm 

(crossed posts whilst finding that old link)

beasterbrook wrote:2)no they don't, I should have bid more;)

:lol:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 pm 

I forgot to even post it..LOL..

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:18 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:EDIT: Oh! Also, do the posters, t-shirts, or corastin masks EVER come up on eBay? I'd love a poster, especially.

Bill (stratochamp) would probably have one of those, too. ;)
Mentioned on the mini-poster/flier but don't have the full sized poster(s) here. The postcard's almost large enough to frame, mind you. *jk*

aside: mask also mentioned on that old thread, above... another case of "not seen, since", though.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 pm 

Bitchin'. Thanks for the link to the old thread, guys.

Thanks for posting the photo, too. Does anyone happen to know which artwork is on the full-size poster? Is it the same as the postcard?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:06 pm 

I'm assuming its the one posted above from faro's lucky BIN...   :P

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:25 pm 

[OT] *g* You're making it sound like $200 was "cheap", Brette. ^^ OK, maybe a fraction, perhaps, given the extras but "within limits".
The seller definitely knew what they were parting with - and rather reluctant to be doing so I thought - plus there are a couple of (probably printer) faults with the book: not unusual for small-press items, though.

I did miss the 2nd DG which Kynan BIN'd the same day (IIRC).  ;)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00 am 

faro wrote:[OT] *g* You're making it sound like $200 was "cheap", Brette. ^^ OK, maybe a fraction, perhaps, given the extras but "within limits".
The seller definitely knew what they were parting with - and rather reluctant to be doing so I thought - plus there are a couple of (probably printer) faults with the book: not unusual for small-press items, though.

I did miss the 2nd DG which Kynan BIN'd the same day (IIRC).  ;)

I seem to remeber a $100..

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:45 am 

*g* Wishful thinking, sorry...

Had been hunting for a /long/ time and if I hadn't hit the BIN, someone else would have.

d.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 am 

got that right;)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:19 am 

beasterbrook wrote:I'm assuming its the one posted above from faro's lucky BIN...   :P

I believe that's just the flyer faro referred to. And since it says Coming Soon: Posters on it, I suspect the poster is either just much bigger or different. My impression was that it consisted of the cover art for either 1st or 2nd edition.

Cool stuff, in any case.

I take it no one has any comments on the game systems, themselves?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:23 am 

faro wrote:[OT] *g* You're making it sound like $200 was "cheap", Brette. ^^ OK, maybe a fraction, perhaps, given the extras but "within limits".

$200 seems about right to me. I think I would have been willing to BiN it even if it were a bit more than that, especially considering the nice condition and extras. Good for you!

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 pm 

faro wrote:
I'd half-expected $200+ but the market's weak at present. ;)
=> viewtopic.php?p=108108#108108

I picked that up for a friend -  
** expired eBay auction **
who is traveling beyond the scope of the interweb at the moment.

So they got a good deal?

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:07 pm 

I agree with faro, I had expected it to go for more as well.. the market is weak.. the high priced items are being cut back thats for sure.. its what its worth on the day that is what ebay is (or supposed) to be about

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:37 pm 

faro wrote:Bill (stratochamp) would probably have one of those, too. ;)
Mentioned on the mini-poster/flier but don't have the full sized poster(s) here. The postcard's almost large enough to frame, mind you. *jk*

[ Image ]

aside: mask also mentioned on that old thread, above... another case of "not seen, since", though.
actually i don't have the mask or t-shirts. with few exceptions (the tom wham owned bolotomus i bought at gencon this year) i only have pen & paper items. no dragon dice, no miniatures, no ccgs, no masks, etc. i should have given Malc a stronger run for his money on the 10th anniv. chess set. my other regret from years ago was not bidding on rob kuntz's dice; i could have reunited them with his brown box...

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:09 pm 

Howdy all. I am lucyjoyce's friend and winner of the Maustin Caji. I was really surprised to get it for $137. I think my words to lucyjoyce were 'put in a bid of $220 for me ... it may go for as much as $500, but we may be lucky.'

That item was on my top five 'to buy' list. I got interested in Jorune about three or four years ago and have been scanning ebay with messaging to my email for 'jorune' and 'maustin caji' for all that time and that is the first Maustin Caji that I had ever seen in all those years. The only other one I know about is muadra's who bought a 1st edition and maustin caji together for $500 through Amazon.

Faro is very lucky to find that bin - if i had seen it, I would definitely have snapped it up as well.

Re; your unanswered question about Earth-Tec. It is essentially a supplement that describes the lost technologies of the original earth civilisation including power sources, robotics and bio-technology. As it is an important part of the Jorune world, I think it is an important supplement.

I have been a fringe member of a die hard jorune group on yahoo for a number of years now. There have been a number of efforts over the years to develop a fourth edition, basing the rules on other systems.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/jorune/

You can read through the lengthy records of discussions in that group. I agree with the view that rather than constantly discussing new rules, what would boost Jorune is to greatly develop the world setting.