[S&W] Black Blade to publish S&W and Knockspell
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:18 am 

PRESS RELEASE

Black Blade Publishing to become Exclusive Publisher of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rules and Knockspell Magazine

October 27, 2009 -- Mythmere Games, developer and publisher of the ENnie-award winning Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game, is pleased to announce an exclusive agreement with Black Blade Publishing to publish the Swords & Wizardry Core Rules and Knockspell magazine, and to lead the charge to get Swords & Wizardry into retail distribution. The first print releases under this agreement will be a softcover version of the 124-page Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook and Knockspell #3.

Working with Studio 2 Publishing as its distribution partner, Black Blade Publishing expects the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook to start hitting the shelves of brick and mortar game stores by February of 2010. In addition, the in-print version of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook will be available for purchase directly from Black Blade Publishing or through select retailers by late-October, 2009.

Electronic copies of the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook will be available immediately directly from Black Blade Publishing, and will be available very soon directly from Studio 2 Publishing, DrivethruRPG, RPGNow and YourGamesNow.

Print versions of Knockspell #3 are available for purchase directly from Black Blade Publishing, and issue #4 may be distributed to stores around February of 2010, at the same time as the core rules.

Electronic copies of Knockspell #3 are now available from Black Blade Publishing, and will be available very soon directly from Studio 2 Publishing, DrivethruRPG, RPGNow or YourGamesNow.

"The Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game is about a lot more than a return to the way these games used to be played. Swords & Wizardry unapologetically throws off 30 years of re-imagining and so-called ‘fixing' of the original rules, returning to the wonder and mystery of "free-form" fantasy gaming without complicated rules and long rulebooks.  Black Blade Publishing is very excited to be publishing the key Swords & Wizardry titles from Mythmere Games. The quality of new products being introduced in the old school gaming community is amazing, and we are really excited to be a part of it." -- Jon Hershberger, co-founder of Black Blade Publishing

Founded in 2008 by Matthew J. Finch, Mythmere Games is best known for the Swords & Wizardry fantasy role-playing game, the award-winning retro-clone of the original 1974 edition of the world's most popular fantasy game. For additional information, visit www.swordsandwizardry.com

Formed in 2009 by Jon Hershberger and Allan Grohe, Black Blade Publishing will begin publishing the Swords & Wizardry Core Rulebook in October 2009 under license from Mythmere Games. For additional information, visit www.black-blade-publishing.com

Studio 2 Publishing has been serving the games hobby industry since 2004, serving game designers and publishers as a sales and marketing organization as well as providing fulfillment and inventory management services. For additional information, visit www.studio2publishing.com

Last edited by tacojohn4547 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 am 

Beginning Tuesday, October 27, and for the next week, all S&W pdfs available thru the Black Blade Publishing online store will be discounted 10% off.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 am 

were the first 2 printed as a POD through LULU? Will this then be different.. ie a a set print run?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 am 

Hi Brette,

Knockspell #1 & #2 were available on a POD basis thru Lulu. Knockspell #3 is being printed (this week, in fact!) by a full service printer on digital POD equipment. It is a set print run, and will be reprinted with little or no distinguishing graphic elements (ie, no "First Printing", no "Second Printing" indications) as often as needed to meet the demand for the magazine.

Allan and I reviewed and approved the proofs, and I have to tell you that the cover art turned out fantastic! This is a really outstanding issue, one that Matt and the Knockspell team (of volunteers) have a lot to be proud of!

We've discussed with Matt (Knockspell editor and creator of S&W) the possibility of running some print copies of the first two issues of Knockspell to have on hand for sale and for convention sales. I think that we'll do that over time (that is, we'll migrate those Lulu versions to the Black Blade site over time), printing small batches as demand dictates and time allows.  

If you've followed the development of the S&W project, or if you've checked out the Black Blade online store since the update, you'll likely be aware that there is a pretty solid product offering supporting this S&W marketing push. I think we'll also see those Lulu print products gradually migrate over to the Black Blade site as demand and time allows.

Thanks!

Jon

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:20 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote: For additional information, visit www.black-blade-publishing.com.

Don't know if was just me, but that link didn't work.  (bad host or some such).  Anyhoo, I went to http://black-blade-publishing.com/ and that worked great.  Order put in!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 am 

Jon, it would probably be a good idea to edit your Acaeum profile to add the WWW link to any of your posts.
Make it easier for people trying to jump to the Black Blade site.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 am 

lucyjoyce wrote:
Don't know if was just me, but that link didn't work.  (bad host or some such).  Anyhoo, I went to http://black-blade-publishing.com/ and that worked great.  Order put in!

That's because of the . at the end of the sentence - it got pulled into the URL as well.

Will Knockspell 3 and other items be available through Noble Knight, per your recent announcement with regard to DCC7?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Beginning Tuesday, October 27, and for the next week, all S&W pdfs available thru the Black Blade Publishing online store will be discounted 10% off.

Congrats to Black Blade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome news and I think it is a fantastic expansion for both Black Blade and S & W. A natural fit.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:48 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:

Sorry about that "." at the end. I've fixed it and now it works. And thank you for the order!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Jon, it would probably be a good idea to edit your Acaeum profile to add the WWW link to any of your posts.
Make it easier for people trying to jump to the Black Blade site.

Thank you for the tip! It is done!   :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:57 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:

Will Knockspell 3 and other items be available through Noble Knight, per your recent announcement with regard to DCC7?

Yes they will. They should have their first order in a few weeks. Initially, Noble Knight will be getting copies of the S&W Core Rules, Knockspell #3, and Spire of Iron and Crystal. As we migrate the other print books off of Lulu and over to the Black Blade site, I think (and expect) that NKG will want to carry at least a few copies of most of the titles.

Aaron has always carried the AD&D DCC's that Goodman Games put out, and he's fully behind the Black Blade DCC product line.  I believe that in time Aaron will become an integral retail partner with us for both the AD&D products and the Swords & Wizardry product line.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 pm 

bbarsh wrote:
Congrats to Black Blade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome news and I think it is a fantastic expansion for both Black Blade and S & W. A natural fit.

Thanks Bill. We think it's a really good fit for Black Blade and Swords & Wizardry, too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 am 

tacojohn4547 wrote:Yes they will. They should have their first order in a few weeks. Initially, Noble Knight will be getting copies of the S&W Core Rules, Knockspell #3, and Spire of Iron and Crystal.

Great.  I ask only because it's easier to combine the shipping with other goodies.  But now that you carry more items, maybe ordering direct will make more sense!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:08 pm 

Congratulations to Black Blade!!!  :D  :D  :D

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.