Bad form or ... ?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:58 pm 

There's some stuff in there for everyone I suspect. For example, I know I'd be interested in The Traveller Adventure, his copy of Traveller: 2300, his Dangerous Journeys material, and his copy of DC Heroes. That said, I've got some questions and comments.

The FASA Traveller adventures are rather difficult to come across. Same thing with the Gamelords and Paranoia Press Traveller stuff.

Your copy of the Traveller Book, is it hardcover or softcover? If hardcover, is the dustjacket present and intact? This will affect the value.

Book 5: High Guard: is it a revised edition (notation in the book regarding pages 17-53 being changed)? Versions without the revision notice are more valuable.

Regarding your copy of Supplement 5: Lightning Class Cruisers, where is the Azhanti High Lightning game that goes with it? Supplement 5, with the exception of the first ten copies (usually numbered, a standard GDW practice), was never released separately.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:22 pm 

Well now...

The Traveller Book (hardcover) is one of the things that I have that's in the worst condition... the dust jacket is worn on the corners and the upper left corner of the front is torn  :(

High Guard unfortunantely has the notation of pages 17-52 being changed, so it's a 2nd printing I suppose.

Supplement 5... wow, I forgot that I had Azahnti High Lightning. I went into the garage and dug up a box that had that it (in *very* good shape) in it as well as the Yaquinto games "Shooting Stars", "Wings" (definitely keeping that one, I loved it) and "The Beastlord" along with a few other titles that won't have any interest here (Strat-O-Matic Football, etc.). I went ahead and put that booklet into the AHL box since that appears to be where it belongs.

I can send photos/scans to anyone if they are interested in seeing the condition of something(s) before I get around to being able to post.

Is there any place or places that anyone can recommend to help me guesstimate prices on these things? I've poked around a little, but in many (most) instances I can't find anything. Oftentimes posts on E-Bay of similar items being were long gone, the auctions having ended. Until a few months ago I had *no* clue that any of this stuff had any value whatsoever. I was keeping ahold of it just because I could (until we finished our basement and thus I lost most of my storage space  :?)

Again, thanks for the assists and the interest,
Neal

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:49 pm 

However you do have the dust jacket, which will help tremendously when you offer it. From the sounds of it, your dust jacket is actually in better condition than mine. 99% of all hardcover copies of The Traveller Book that I've seen on Ebay are missing the dust jacket. So, get thy arse to a library and see if the librarian has any book jacket covers for the dust jacket. From personal experience, the dust jacket cover will help prevent further damage to the dust jacket.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 pm 

I posted photos/scans of some items on Flickr. Based simply on the exterior condition that you can see, could someone give me an idea of the grade that I should give some of them based on the Acaeum rating guidelines? Then I can base my other items off of what you all guesstimate for the ones you posted on. Just assume that the interior is spotless and I can adjust my ratings accordingly when I post them based on your observations/recommendations. Just search for the user nokoon and the only photos/scans I have up there are the games that I've sent up.

I appreciate the help. I'm having a heck of a time finding prices for this stuff. I did find prices for some of the items on Wayne's Books (http://www.waynesbooks.com/Runequest.html). Now I don't know whether the prices there are high, low, representative...? Trollpak for example was $159.99 through Amazon. Mine's in very good shape and I'm thinking that it's not in worse condition that the one he's offering. But his price might be unrealistic, I have no clue. Whatever advice that anyone can give is appreciated. Not having paid attention to this over a period of time I have no clue what is reasonable and what is not.

Thanks,
Neal

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 am 

waynesbooks is a mixed bag - some of his prices are high, some are reasonable.  Overall, I think he's not bad.

For price comparisons, I would look at:

waynesbooks.net

nobleknight.com

dragonstrove.com

amazon.com

ebay.com

rpgmarketplace.com

Only ebay will show you what something ACTUALLY sold for, which is much more important than what someone THINKGS they can sell it for.  

(tangent:  I just bought a two year old non-rpg book for $20; the LOWEST used price on amazon is $1500.  Do they know something or are they nuts?  I'm betting on nuts...)

Take what you find and look at the range.  That will get you close for estimates.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Only ebay will show you what something ACTUALLY sold for, which is much more important than what someone THINKGS they can sell it for.  

I'll definitely second that thought. It doesn't matter what Amazon sellers think or even Ebay store sellers THINK they can sell something for....look at the completed auctions. Those will show you what someone actually paid for the item(s). As with all my posts...just my 2 cents

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:44 am 

How much are you looking to get out of the whole pile?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:33 am 

A few items I'd be interested in as well!

Previous