Fanzine discussion thread - 2009 and beyond
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 am 

I have been looking back through some of the old Fanzine discussion threads. There hasn't been a general one for a while, so I thought I would start a new one and link the old ones here.

Here are three oldies: D&D Fanzines, Fanzines and Obscure but rare RPG magazines

In addition there are threads discussing:

The Apprentice
The Oracle
The Beholder
The Beholder: History
The Wanderer
Encounter
Imazine
Alarums and Excursions
The Wizard

So just thought I would start a new general one rather than creating a string of obscurely named threads.

I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know many issues of 'News from Bree' were there?
I asked this question before but can't find the answer anymore
How many issues of 'The Adventurer'? and 'Fantasy Chronicles'?

Has anyone heard of an RPG mag called Aslan?

Edit: I took off the link to the Imagine thread as per the comment below, I think a link to the two main fanzine research / collation efforts will also be useful here at the top of the thread:

http://www.arielarchives.com/Brett/Magazines/index.html
http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/index.php?c=17

Last edited by HermitFromPluto on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:38 am 

I believe there were 11 Adventurers, purely based on the fact I havent seen one from12 onwards.
I have 3 to 11 myself which should be off to ebay soon unless anyone would want them here?
I recently received a couple of Alarums but I'd have to check the copies as they are at home, again up for sale soon.
Would Imagine qualify as a fanzine? If so, dont forget GMPublications, by many of the same people. :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:25 am 

Imagine is not a fanzine, neither are the GMPs or Tortured Souls!
Inazine is a fanzine though (with a 'z') and so is Tortured Souls (Without the exclamation mark at the end). Tortured Souls (as opposed to Tortured Souls! the magazine) fan for only two issues. There is also a copy of Imazine that is also an issue of Dragonlords, a collaboration of one issue. Don't forget Players Assocaistion News, Players Association Broadsheet, Bohenian Earspoon, Owl & Weasel, Dragonloerds, to name but a few of the UK D&D fanzines.

Brette is the resident Guru in this area, although I suspect other quieter members have sizeable inventory and knowledge should they choose to share.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:How many issues of 'The Adventurer'? and 'Fantasy Chronicles'?

One good resource to check these things is Brett's Ariel Archives website:

http://www.arielarchives.com/Brett/Magazines/index.html

Or if it isn't listed there, download Brett's collection Excel file:

http://www.arielarchives.com/brett/Brett.xls

Then check the Magazines tab of the Excel file and he has some comments about the fanzines,etc.

For New from Bree, Brett has issue #23 so at least that many and it looks like they had a size change between issues 20-21.  

Fantasy Chronicles was only 9 issues and Adventurer was 11.

Yes, I have heard of Aslan and remember seeing an issue or two sold around last August.  A quick check of the Brett.xls file shows at least 13 issues with also an issue 13.1 and 13.2.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 am 

Cool. Thanks. I know your ToT and I see Brette's site are probably the best resources on Magazines / Fanzines.  I know quite little actually. Just thought I would try to collate some of the info. here - tends to get lost in the threads.

That's a really nice list Brett has put together!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 am 

ashmire13 wrote:I believe there were 11 Adventurers, purely based on the fact I havent seen one from12 onwards.
I have 3 to 11 myself which should be off to ebay soon unless anyone would want them here?
I recently received a couple of Alarums but I'd have to check the copies as they are at home, again up for sale soon.
Would Imagine qualify as a fanzine? If so, dont forget GMPublications, by many of the same people. :)

I have Adventurer #1 to 7, so I would be most interested in #8 to 11! - that would complete my set.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:43 pm 

PM sent...  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm 

How many issues of The Scroll were there? (I see you list 13 with a question mark Brett). Were these all in the same format?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:How many issues of The Scroll were there? (I see you list 13 with a question mark Brett). Were these all in the same format?

I think there are only 12 issues.  I am missing the first two but the rest are all the same format (letter sized).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:46 pm 

I think the confusion on number of issues (12 or 13) comes from the magazine posted here:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/tot_fanzines/scroll.htm

I remember the auction for the magazine but don't remember who bought it.  But in any case, I don't think "Scroll" by "Wonderworld Press" is related to "The Scroll" by "Sage Lore".  I haven't been able to find out much about this other magazine though.  I thought they might be related to Wonderworld of Synnibarr fame but it doesn't seem so.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:That's a really nice list Brett has put together!

And other people;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:49 am 

Mars wrote:I think the confusion on number of issues (12 or 13) comes from the magazine posted here:

I remember the auction for the magazine but don't remember who bought it.  But in any case, I don't think "Scroll" by "Wonderworld Press" is related to "The Scroll" by "Sage Lore".  I haven't been able to find out much about this other magazine though.  I thought they might be related to Wonderworld of Synnibarr fame but it doesn't seem so.

I think that it changed who was putting it out, I do believe the first 12 were done by one company and issue 13 by another.. I think they are related though... I do have the issue 13..

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:00 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I Does anyone know many issues of 'News from Bree' were there?
I asked this question before but can't find the answer anymore
How many issues of 'The Adventurer'? and 'Fantasy Chronicles'?

sorry all from memory..

I think there were only issues 18-23 of News from Bree.. I have the feeling it was called something else before that..

Adventurer.. I had believed there was 11 issues, but I do thik that recently there was an issue 13 sold on ebay.. after I think I have the set I don't tend to follow the auctions much, just skim over them .. so this one my be back to a question mark until I can confirm what it was that sold...

Fantasy Chronicles was 9 issues, just be aware that (I think) most of them come with a poster in the middle of the magazine and a lot of the time these are missing...

I take it the Aslan comment was because of the one for sale in ebay.au? from memory I bought my coppies from the editor..

Last edited by beasterbrook on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 am 

Thanks for all that info.

Yes, I snapped up the Aslan on ebay.au. It came with that other mag "Real Life Role-playing". Interesting little fanzine. Do you know much about it?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:09 am 

no more than usual.. I think I have Andrew Rilstone contact details around somewhere..

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:46 am 

It would be interesting to contact him to ask about it, but I would not want to do that if you have done so already.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 am 

Mars wrote:I think the confusion on number of issues (12 or 13) comes from the magazine posted here:

Thanks for that info. I must admit to having trouble navigating on ToT. I do always check there prior to asking questions here as I don't want to waste people's time with obvious questions. I checked up your thread on The Scroll here:

http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/vi ... 356052791b

but found it empty. Am I going to the wrong part of the site?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:25 am 

I just started zipping around on T&T and noticed that I must be a moron (not for the first time) as I seem to have a navigation issue also.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next