New Troll Lord Games Sale
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:15 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
1)  All the others have failed.

2)  Troll Lord Games itself seems to be in disarray.

3)  Pathfinder.

1) Some companies have moved to 4e, others to other rule sets.  But to claim every company from the 3.x boon failed, I'd disagree.  product lines I'd even disagree as well (while I know some have discontinued these)

2) I've seen more an upswing in products, maybe less modules and more higher end products.  Even with the loss of Gygax's properties, the shift is not one of disarray but more focusing on what they can do.

3) While I'm all for Pathfinder/Paizo, I don't see them killing C&C.  Hell if anything it may help drive people away from 4e and back to anything 3.x related be it Pathfinder or C&C.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:35 pm 

Plaag wrote:
1) Some companies have moved to 4e, others to other rule sets.  But to claim every company from the 3.x boon failed, I'd disagree.  product lines I'd even disagree as well (while I know some have discontinued these)

2) I've seen more an upswing in products, maybe less modules and more higher end products.  Even with the loss of Gygax's properties, the shift is not one of disarray but more focusing on what they can do.

3) While I'm all for Pathfinder/Paizo, I don't see them killing C&C.  Hell if anything it may help drive people away from 4e and back to anything 3.x related be it Pathfinder or C&C.

ShaneG.

1)  Not failed companies.  Failed RPG's.  I mean RPG's other than D&D. (I know many will take exception to the word "fail," but I'm just saying my opinion.)

2)  From my point of view, whenever I have encountered the Troll Lords in the past year, they have stumbled badly.  My recent experience with two of their newest PDF products was just plain baffling.  The printing and shipping fiasco with Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works....yikes.  Loss of the Gygax licenses...ouch.  Old products that have been on sale at dump-off prices literally for years and are still around...not good.  New game edition promised but not appearing...oh boy.  Having been involved in a failing business, and having dealt with other failing businesses, I know the signs.  Individually those are bad signs.  Taken together, they are bad indeed.

3)  It isn't Pathfinder versus C&C.  It's "established niche market" versus "shrinking niche market."  It is "huge sales with big new launch" versus "Umm, when is that coming out?"  Paizo's product has market advantages over Troll Lord's product, plain and simple.

Here I am, tearing down Troll Lords...not what I meant to do.  :?   It's just the truth.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 pm 

Plaag wrote: 3) While I'm all for Pathfinder/Paizo, I don't see them killing C&C.  Hell if anything it may help drive people away from 4e and back to anything 3.x related be it Pathfinder or C&C.

As I have pointed out elsewhere ad nauseum, Wizard's of the Coast hurt themselves badly even before the launch of 4th Edition by forgetting their core market.

The continued survival of Paizo, combined with the power launch of Pathfinder, shows just how much damage WOTC did to themselves.

They still have a lot of money.  WOTC could still fix things with their core market and make a comeback with Dungeons and Dragons.  My first suggestion would be trying to reach the old mailer list for DUNGEON and DRAGON magazines.

....and I'm starting to worry about Goodman Games.  :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous