Dreadmire
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:03 am 

FormCritic wrote:My favorite beastie in Dreadmire is that aquatic rhino.  Is that cool or what?

Who goes rafting in that swamp?

The Cajun-like halfings :)

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:07 am 

Bet yah there's some good eating on that rhino. :D

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:09 am 

Dungeonmania just told me they had a guy come into their store and buy out all their copies of Dreadmire at $4 a pop. That said, they still have two copies listed on eBay at $4.99, and a newbie seller from Baton Rouge has just popped up on the scene selling the same product at $4.99 with the exact same description, layout and pictures. Go figure.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:59 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Dungeonmania just told me they had a guy come into their store and buy out all their copies of Dreadmire at $4 a pop. That said, they still have two copies listed on eBay at $4.99, and a newbie seller from Baton Rouge has just popped up on the scene selling the same product at $4.99 with the exact same description, layout and pictures. Go figure.

I offered to buy multiple copies at $8 from them a while back but they weren't interested in getting back to me.  I eventually ended up buying 2 copies from Ebay.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:22 am 

They sold me six copies at $4 a pop. They packed and shipped them and they arrived in mint condition. Not a ding on them, I was quite amazed given the weight of the box. At that price, and knowing they survive international shipping, I'd take abother dozen, but they won't sell me any more, claiming someone bought the rest of their stock. At the time I made my purchase, they had 30+ copies.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:57 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Dungeonmania just told me they had a guy come into their store and buy out all their copies of Dreadmire at $4 a pop. That said, they still have two copies listed on eBay at $4.99, and a newbie seller from Baton Rouge has just popped up on the scene selling the same product at $4.99 with the exact same description, layout and pictures. Go figure.

I guess now is the time to get one off of Ebay if you have not yet.

A copy of the Dreadmire novel is also on sale.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:07 am 

FormCritic wrote:A copy of the Dreadmire novel is also on sale.

The auction description for that book says that it is a second printing.  Does Dreadmire have any printing information in it, or all of them from the same printing?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 am 

There are two printings of the novel with two completely different covers. I have no idea which is which.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:46 am 

The Dreadmire 'Bonus Material' doesn't seem to be on their website or forum anymore, but it is still available as a free PDF from RPGNow and RPGDrivethru.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm 

Having had my copy for a couple of days now, I think this is a great sourcebook and will be staying with my 1st ed book collection.
Thanks for the link above, I was gutted when the bonus material wasnt available, so I'll grab that tomorrow  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm 

It's a fun book.  Lots to look at...some stuff to chuckle about (aquatic rhino being my favorite).

The whole idea of bayou halflings.  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:52 am 

It's a great sourcebook, but relatively few DMs are comfortable with wilderness adventure, and even fewer are willing to concentrate on a single adventuring environ, swampland being one of the more difficultm but maybe not as difficult to DM as the open seas.

So this is a neiche market book for DMs who are looking to DM swampland. As such it'll probably always remain an obscurity, because, it requires a DM who wished to both write their own adventures and have wilderness adventures that impact greatly on their adventure writing. It's no use to someone cracking out dungeons on graphpaper that are "a days hike from Localtown".

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:51 am 

swamp scenarios can actually be really good fun. i wing a lot of stuff like that and dont use rules, and follow the common sense approach to it.

actually one of my favorite swamp sections was at the beginning of DL1! i actually enjoyed that adventure - the rest totally sucked, but that one, i had a lot of fun with and the party spent more time adventuring around in the swamps, then they did in the actual "dungeon" section, which i also changed slightly to a swampish sort of effect. it worked very well and everyone enjoyed it.

this sounds like a really good book. i must have a looksee myself.

best
Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:10 pm 

Just noticed this is still on ebay for $4.99.

Still a fun sourcebook if you can pick it up cheap, but there may have been too many printed for it to ever become collectible.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:58 pm 

There has only been 1 over here in the UK recently, so maybe more rare here?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:21 am 

These are underpriced for the value you get from this book. At the moment they are so cheap I'd suggest every DM add a copy to their bookshelves. Purely as source material, it's an absolute goldmine for bayou, swamp and marshlands environs. Print run must have run into many thousands, so the author must have thrown a decent amount of cash behind printing up stock. He's probably still sitting on a garage full of them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:13 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:These are underpriced for the value you get from this book. At the moment they are so cheap I'd suggest every DM add a copy to their bookshelves. Purely as source material, it's an absolute goldmine for bayou, swamp and marshlands environs. Print run must have run into many thousands, so the author must have thrown a decent amount of cash behind printing up stock. He's probably still sitting on a garage full of them.

Agree that it's a lot of value for the price.  I purchased mine for $8.49 including shipping:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

It arrived quickly and in excellent shape.  I was particularly impressed that it had interesting quotes at the bottom of every page and included three short adventures.  I look forward to reading more of it in the future.  Thanks to everyone who advocated for the book.   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:57 am 

You got both a piece of D20 history and a very nice game book.

PreviousNext