Dreadmire
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:09 am 

Does it still have the voodoo stuff? I remember suggesting some stuff along those lines to the author... might even have some of the pre-pub manuscript still.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:57 am 

serleran wrote:Does it still have the voodoo stuff? I remember suggesting some stuff along those lines to the author... might even have some of the pre-pub manuscript still.

See that's why its a good book - because Serl was a editor on it :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:47 pm 

Good book, don't trust what the author says online though (I've only been aware of him from when he dealt with Necromancer Games). I'm sure this book was changed since the incident and I know who was editing the book then for Necromancer Games, so trust their eye.
Other then all that, take the book as is.  It's what you're buying anyway, not the history behind it.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:26 am 

See that's why its a good book - because Serl was a editor on it.

Oh no, not an editor, really. Just someone who was given some of sections of material to look at to get a "feel" for what it was about, since no one else was seemingly asking for a preview at the time. What I got was interesting, but I thought it could use a little added spice in a few areas, and so said so. I don't know what happened after that, or before it, other than what transpired on the NG boards every time the book (or author) was mentioned and have no stake in it myself, so was more curious than anything -- I am glad people like the book. Buying something and feeling you wasted your money is a horrible thing. Unless you like paper kindling.

And, I would not say anything is good just because I was somehow partially involved. I have had the honor of being involved in some pretty spectacular things, but that is inconsequential to me (or better said as not being a result of me)... but, you're playing, and I like the ego stroke. ;)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:16 am 

I'd pay 10bucks for a copy,  but shipping via ebay is twice that

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:58 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

for those that may still be interested!  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:51 pm 

Well those last two went very, very quickly... (I had an offer pending!  :lol: )

I'm taking a guess at who scored them both...??  :wink:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm 

Turns out the UK distributor for WoTC and most of the major US RPG exports, Esvidium, have pulled out of 3/3.5E and d20, and liquidated their entire stock. They will now only be dealing in 4E and Pathfinder. These are liquidated wholesaler stock.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 pm 

I'd have bought one, but I thought the P&P took the piss really. Guess thats a chance gone now though.. :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:17 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:I'd have bought one, but I thought the P&P took the piss really. Guess thats a chance gone now though.. :roll:

What does this mean?   :?  Could you translate this from British to English?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
What does this mean?   :?  Could you translate this from British to English?

:)  I would have a purchased a copy, however I thought that the postage and packaging charges were excessive for such an item. So I thought I may buy a copy via the 'make an offer' to reduce the overall cost.
Unfortunately the two remaining copies were bought before my offer was accepted, so it would appear that my opportunity to get a copy at the moment, has passed.
:)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 am 

ashmire13 wrote:
:)  I would have a purchased a copy, however I thought that the postage and packaging charges were excessive for such an item. So I thought I may buy a copy via the 'make an offer' to reduce the overall cost.
Unfortunately the two remaining copies were bought before my offer was accepted, so it would appear that my opportunity to get a copy at the moment, has passed.
:)

I thought that at £3.20 to ship a 220+ page hardback book within the UK, the P&P was very good. I couldn't ship it for that price.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:46 am 

Really? I've sent heavy items and would have expected that to be around £2(ish). Not much, I know, but I just balk at ebay and the postage charges making up for the insertion fees etc.

Oh well, my loss.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:39 pm 

I never gave Randy a hard time but I recognized he was a bit loopy. Sadly, the posted picture of him naked at the coke machine is burned in my brain forever. However, he still took a lot of crap and I wanted to reward him for his mental fortitude, so I bought a copy directly from him when it was released. He signed it (this was more for him than me) and I read it cover to cover. It is extremely silly in places, and very imaginative in others. Randy clear drew heavily from his Louisiana environment.

If you're a D&D 3.5 fan you will find something you like.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:48 pm 

For good or bad, I think this is one destined to maintain a reasonable price and rise over the years. For those who can pick stock up at the $6-8 mark, this may be a good earner. It has a neiche market appeal, but deals specifically with an environment that is not tackled anywhere in RPG history (with the possible exception of parts of Garden of the Plantmaster, and Gateway to the Sunken Lands). I'm picking up stock of this and expect a 100% return in 12 months. For good or bad, writing style, souce material, and dubious authorship/plagerism accusations aside, this book has a solid base as source material and is known now to the wider collector and player communities. I think this is a solid investment at current prices.

Not one to build a campaign on, but a good basis if you're talented enough to build your own campaign world and want some foundation blocks. Pick from it what you want for your campaign swamp/jungle, but don't buy into Randy's campaign environ.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:42 pm 

I think the issues of plagerism and IP came up when Randy made an online attempt to tie Dreadmire to one of the swamps of Greyhawk. This created an IP infringment and Necromancer dropped the whole thing before it got out of hand. It's a bit of a shame because those who disliked Randy were the ones who brought it to the attention of WotC and Necromancer games. Silly behavior all around but Randy was the one to lose the most in the incident.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:49 am 

Haven't seen a good (well written) review of this anywhere.
Seems as though Acaeum brought this out of obscurity.
The PDF release is horrific quality, so should be avoided.
Randy himself appears to be a bit nutz. Maybe it's the image he wants to potray.
Wonder how many hardbacks was him minimum order. 500 units? 1000 Units? Don't see there being more than 1000 copies worldwide, and don't see there ever being a reprint. But could be of moderate value at some time. A good investment given the current sub-$10 price tag.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:42 am 

Icar wrote:Sadly, the posted picture of him naked at the coke machine is burned in my brain forever.

8O ????  Thereby hangs a tale.....

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

PreviousNext