MERP MIDDLE-EARTH ROLE PLAYING TOLKIEN LOTR MOVIE BOOKS GAME
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:15 pm 

That's the first run.  The 1986 update had artwork from Angus McBride of the true Fellowship.  Later editions have black covers.  It is worth $10 or so on Ebay.  More or less depending on the condiiton and the market.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:26 am 

Hi all,

What is the best site out there for determining complete contents for MERP items?  I have a big collection coming in and I want to be able to describe them as complete or not, with or without maps, etc.  Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:03 pm 

Try http://asp.merp.com/?mid=81. It's the archived version of the old MERP product catalogue. All of the books are listed with their page counts, map inserts (if any), etc.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:20 pm 

Thank you, that's very helpful.  Now to slog through this pile of cool stuff ...
8)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:42 pm 

Oh, while we are on the subject - the Middle Earth Campaign and Adventure Guidebook was printed (apparently) in 1982 and 1983 - but I also have a copy of a 1990 printing with 8 extra pages.  It can't be the 2nd edition Guide as that apparently as 64 pages.  Does anyone know what happened?

I use the Page not found | ICEWEBRING for indexing.

AND, am still looking for a very few (well, 4 actually) items to finish my complete Mint MERP collection, if they are in genuinely MINT/NM condition then I am happy to pay top dollar (as you Imperialists say :)...)  

I am fed up with picking up so-called 'mint' versions (esp. off newbie sellers) only to find that they are tired and creased and have rusty staples.  Has anyone else noticed that all the good quality stuff has disappeared in recent years (or have the grading terms become devalued)???

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:16 pm 

red_bus wrote:Oh, while we are on the subject - the Middle Earth Campaign and Adventure Guidebook was printed (apparently) in 1982 and 1983 - but I also have a copy of a 1990 printing with 8 extra pages.  It can't be the 2nd edition Guide as that apparently as 64 pages.  Does anyone know what happened?

I use the Page not found | ICEWEBRING for indexing.

I can't answer your question but let me add to your confusion  :)

I have in my possession (at least until the auction's over) a 1982 printing of the Campaign and Adventure Guidebook that I originally bought when it first came out. The book only has 16 pages, as opposed to the 25 pages that the icewebring site gives. The front page lists the stock # as ME2100, instead of ME 2200, while the back page, where the credits are given, lists the book as stock # as ME2200. MERP.com's site lists the maps only as ME 2100, and indeed this stock can also be found on the maps themselves.

If you would like to see a scan of the item the auction's URL is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

I am fed up with picking up so-called 'mint' versions (esp. off newbie sellers) only to find that they are tired and creased and have rusty staples.  Has anyone else noticed that all the good quality stuff has disappeared in recent years (or have the grading terms become devalued)???

Perhaps they don't really know how to grade an item? "....Hmmmmm, all the pages are there and it's intact so it MUST be in mint condition!...."  :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:37 pm 

red_bus wrote:

There is no question that quality has declined. I started buying on ebay around 1999/2000. I finally had a source to finish up (still not done) my 1st Edition AD&D/Basic D&D collection without depending on conventions. I bought quite of few single items, then started buying larger lots and reselling items I did not need. I even bought lots that I knew I could sell separately for huge bucks to fuel my collecting. The quality of modules in particular was much better than today. Near mint meant near mint, not just ok and barely good.

That was four years ago. I took a break for about three years as life got busy. Now I am back and quality is much more  a concern. As an example, I was looking to get a nicer copy of B6 Veiled Society (mine was excellent, but not mint). It took me almost nine months of watching ebay to find one at a reasonable price (still about $15)!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:42 pm 

Is there any online guide to pricing MERP items?  Unfortunately the Mike Chapman site appears to be gone.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:27 am 

there is no online pricing guide that is current - the mike chapman mirror sites just have his old information (dates 2002 i think).  i keep a track myself and there have been changes - ardor has been probably supplanted by the 2nd edition dol guldur now as the most expensive item (there have been a load of ardors up on ebay in the last 6 months)... lake town regularly gets $75+, the shire goes high as well.  the quality i think has dropped - i found it a lot easier to get m/nm copies a couple of years ago.  the market is more variable now - stuff that you wouldn't think was expensive goes for a lot more than you think, but then (before you get excited) stuff which is rare sells cheap.  perhaps a bit like the D&D market in microcosm?

sorry i couldn't be the bearer of more helpful news.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:31 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:I have in my possession (at least until the auction's over) a 1982 printing of the Campaign and Adventure Guidebook that I originally bought when it first came out. The book only has 16 pages, as opposed to the 25 pages that the icewebring site gives. The front page lists the stock # as ME2100, instead of ME 2200, while the back page, where the credits are given, lists the book as stock # as ME2200. MERP.com's site lists the maps only as ME 2100, and indeed this stock can also be found on the maps themselves.

If you would like to see a scan of the item the auction's URL is at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

I have the exact same book as you describe.  16 pages, and folded map with grid.  A bit of a tale is involved as to how I got it.  It seems that the FLGS I went to had seperated the map and the book.  The map had no price on it, so I got that for free figuring that I could find a use for it.  In a completely different corner of the used section, I find the guidebook with a price tag of $1.00.  So I went up and bought it and have been a happy camper.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:43 am 

Here's another odd little bit of trivia (with a little conjecture on my part). MERP.com lists two versions of the map, 2100 (flat) and 2100A (folded).

http://asp.merp.com/products.html#ref

This is actually a bit misleading, since both versions are folded. The difference is that the 2100A is folded to look like a roadmap (I saw it when it first came out). I suspect that both versions will have the 2100 stock# on them, as I cannot see ICE making a whole new print run of maps just to add the letter "A" to the end of a stock number :)

Previous