MERP MIDDLE-EARTH ROLE PLAYING TOLKIEN LOTR MOVIE BOOKS GAME
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:02 pm 

OUCH!  No wonder I did not recognize it!  Crap..that Ardor map is probably worth up to $50 on Ebay...and without me bidding on it!!!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:23 pm 

Yeah. . . well I made the offer and Mr. Deadlord does need it for his collection. . .

I just hope he remembers that he owes me one.   :twisted:

( A lot of good shit's been coming your way lately, hasn't it Frank? ) :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:46 am 

I will remember. In fact, I'll sell that extra Ardor and split it with you. Morgan, what does Ardor go for, around $300 or so?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:43 am 

Deadlord.

Sigh...Court of Ardor averages $100.  As stated, It had gone for as much as $300.  Typically, the map and the book are worth about $25 and $75 repsectively.  The maps are of course more rare than the books.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:53 pm 

Hello to all the MERP fans. Just curious, is there a site similar to the Acaeum where you can discuss your hobby? I am not trying to come across as an ass but isn't this a D&D/TSR collector site?  :)

Happy collecting,
Burntwire

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:58 pm 

Hi Burntwire.  I have posted many times on this site - maybe you think I should post elsewhere as I buy MERP as well as D&D (and other games)?

No I doubt you are an ass but that is the kind of post an unfriendly ass would make.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:25 pm 

burntwire wrote:Hello to all the MERP fans. Just curious, is there a site similar to the Acaeum where you can discuss your hobby? I am not trying to come across as an ass but isn't this a D&D/TSR collector site?  :)

Happy collecting,
Burntwire

I haven't found one.  MERP internet sites are pathetic and stagnant (as are most D&D sites for that matter! )  Unfortunately this is the only messageboard with even the faintest of pulses.

It also bares mentioning that most MERP collectors are D&D collectors too.  Isn't MERP what D&D left on the table when they decided not to pay the Tolkien estate for JRR's ideas?  

I think of MERP as non-TSR D&D material of the highest quality.  Every book begins with an instructional on how to use MERP items with other gaming systems, ie. D&D.  I don't really see the harm with a few MERP threads but if the admins want us to stop I'll respect their decision.  Though I expect that all these MERP conversations will die a natural death very shortly as we get things off our chests after being silent on this stuff for so long.

moron with money

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:32 pm 

I don't think this board is threatened by a few MERP threads.  I collect MERP, D&D and Cthulhu.  On the latter, yog-sothoth.com (which is a truly fabulous site) has a very active message board but little activity on collecting.  

You could set something up on MERP - but look there are only half a dozen people posting on this - I doubt there is the interest (someone please prove me wrong)...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:33 pm 

Gotta say...MERP is what brought me here (for better or worse...here I am).  I only found out about this site from red_bus after I was mentioned as a valid reseller of MERP a couple of years ago.  I have read the forum and used the info to better myself since.  This includes the other areas such as the mold info...grading...D&D prices...etc.  It was what got me interested in collecting TSR/WOC products again...and now....it is what has caused me to end my reselling (soon as its all gone Deadlord) practices and sell off my other gaming stuff....full circle almost.  Course, the recent attacks by Deadlord is what caused me to join in the fray.

Also, I have looked into other MERP forums and they are either private or stale.  LOTR has some and the books/movies more.  Decipher's game sucks.  And well....here I am in the middle.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:34 pm 

Thanks myalbinogorilla. I don't collect MERP and was unaware that there were no good sites. Red_bus, I wasn't trying to tell you to quit posting on the Acaeum, I just figured there was a similar site for MERP collectors.

Happy collecting,
Shawn

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:50 pm 

thanks - and no worries Shawn nor offence taken.  There aren't may of us out there I think, so it is a bit of a minority pursuit.

which of course reminds me - I need about three MERP items to make a mint set - anyone wanna trade????

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:59 pm 

red_bus wrote:thanks - and no worries Shawn nor offence taken.  There aren't may of us out there I think, so it is a bit of a minority pursuit.

which of course reminds me - I need about three MERP items to make a mint set - anyone wanna trade????

Hey...what do you need...if I have it, I will pull it and give it to you...You were great as a buyer and as I think a friend for a time.  Think of it as a payment on my debt of gratitude.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:02 pm 

I just saw Hands of the Healer go for $71. I lost by $1! Blast!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:32 pm 

I believe that we all can now understand and appreciate where each of us is coming from regarding the pricing of MERP items (although whether we agree with each other in totallity is another matter).  Therefore, I changed the title of this thread.  It is my hope that all matters regarding MERP be added to this post rather than elsewhere.  This would be helpful to keep the Acaeum from being cluttered with MERP info (since it is truly a D&D site), but will also allow members to discuss MERP in a single thread (since we all know there is not another really good place to do so...also...there seems to be some overlap of MERP collecting with D&D as of late).  Perhaps it would be wise to make the thread a sticky thread so that others do not add additional MERP postings and make the site more cluttered?  Anyone  have some input?

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:26 am 

Morgansurname wrote:
there seems to be some overlap of MERP collecting with D&D as of late). Perhaps it would be wise to make the thread a sticky thread so that others do not add additional MERP postings and make the site more cluttered?

I agree. . . but I wonder whether the thread should encompass a variety of non- Dungeons & Dragons RPG's?  There's a lot of cross-over collecting that extends well beyond MERP and D&D.  We can discount a lot of the modern games, but RPG's such as Rolemaster, Tunnels & Trolls, Chivalry & Sorcery, Tekumel, Warhammer & a variety of others would all seem to fit the profile.

Again, not to clutter up or take away from this being a D&D site, but all of the above have close ties to Dungeons & Dragons.  Most of us played (or utilized in some way) at least a few of those games and still seek them for their collection.  References and queries about the above surface occasionally in other threads, so having a separate "sticky" that addresses "other RPG's" wouldn't be too off the wall.  I don't see that it would detract from this being a pure D&D site - though, I don't know that the desire to post to such a thread would be very high.

Others collect a lot more than I and may have more relevant input. :?:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:13 am 

I'd love to discuss other RPG's.
Breach, the maps came! Thanks a million. I'll have a present out for you in a day or two.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:50 pm 

me too - i love collecting cthulhu but cannot in all honesty claim that it is any way related to D&D.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:47 am 

While we are talking about MERP stuff, I am (as noted elsewhere) selling off some old stuff and I have a copy of what appears to be the first printing of the Middle Earth Role Playing system published in 1984.  Is there somewhere I could look for information to verify that this is a first printing and maybe get a clue as to value?

According to other sites, this is the book which preceeded the '1st edition' MERP rulebook published in 1986 - i.e. it was the first MERP publication as far as I can determine.

Carl

PreviousNext