MERP MIDDLE-EARTH ROLE PLAYING TOLKIEN LOTR MOVIE BOOKS GAME
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:43 pm 

OK....I know this is a D&D site, but MERP is what brought me here and between myalbinogorilla and Deadlord, I have taken some heat.  Here I ask for parley.  I am willing to be open with my sources of info and price evaluations.  I ask that on this thread, MERP only is discussed and that any member add what they think a book's value is, should be, and will be now that I am not bidding.  Also, we can discuss why certain books are or should be worth less or more.  Being the visitor, I will defer to anyone else to start.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:57 pm 

Well. . . as long as there is a MERP thread.

I have two maps that have been sitting on my shelves for quite some time.  Unfortunately, I am not familiar with MERP, but I know enough Tolkien to recognize his "language" with names.

Tough to scan a full-size map so I will give a quick description:

One map has the towns of Dunlostir and Calmirie - the other side has a cross section of a large stone tower (presumably Orthanc).

The other maps has the Usakan Bay and Koros Bay - towns include Sarul, The Ruin of Saven, Tanith and Korlan.

I will send out these maps free (in the U.S.) to anyone who wants them. . . preferably to someone who might need them for their collection.  But, if no one does feel free to claim it and resell it with "incompletes".

:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:03 pm 

btb-  I don't think they're MERP.

moron with money

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:06 pm 

I did someone internet searches on various names on the maps - they all came back with places in Middle-Earth.

What else would they be?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:11 pm 

You're right it's from Isengard and Northern Gondor.

moron with money

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:17 pm 

Here's a question. Why is Gorgoroth worth so much? It's not one of the better ones, but try finding it for a decent price.

What's the story on this one?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:21 pm 

Morgan?
Just kidding. I'm not sure, I haven't even looked at mine.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:46 pm 

I have no idea what anything is truly worth just what people are willing to pay.  As long as people are willing to spend $50 on that book, that's what it will be worth.

Personally, I believe that all ebay MERP items have been subjected to market manipulation by resellers long before I started tracking their individual values.  Why this was possible was partially due to the hysteria surrounding the LOTR movies.  On the whole though it's safe to assume that individual books that sell for higher dollars are less common than lower priced ones.  The less often an item comes up for auction the more money it will probably sell for. Supply, demand and all that shit.

moron with money

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:49 pm 

Ah...greed ...er....or so I have been told...er I mean agreed.  So far as I can see the following factors influence cost

1.  Original cover price
2.  Rarity
3. Evil content.  By this I mean anything with Sauron, Morgoth, Saruman, the Nine, their abodes, their items...etc...Heck, even the LOMEIII goes for much more than a LOME I or II or even the Valar and Maiar.
4.  Cover and inside artist/art.  Angus McBride's greatest are probably Gorgoroth and Lost Realm of Cardolan.  I really believe that is in part why they cost what they do.
5.  Number of pages.
6. Number of color maps
7. 2nd edition...they seem to cost more book per book, partly because they were published later and with more and better content and partly because they were published later and ICE was charging much more on the cover.
8.  The movies
9.  The movies
10. The movies
11.  Resellers...perhaps, but I do not believe to the degree that I am given credit.  
12.  Mike Chapman's charting of MERP sales on Ebay.  I almost forgot this part.  He had been watching them for some time before the movies were released and put them in a composite chart.  If you are not familiar with it, here is the new website:  Page not found | ICEWEBRING

Many people (including myself) give this much weight to their decision to bid.  In fact, it was what I used when I started buying for my own collection.  

Gorgoroth is a combo of the above.  It was one of the last that my cousin ran me through..and only the lower level series.  It is intense simply because of the closeness of the Eye and one of the Nazgul.  Plus, the demon/shadows are very nasty.   The cover art is awesome, showing threee Nazgul in their traditional armor and helms.  It is a 2nd Edition and larger book.  And it has the compiled stats of Sauron, The Mouth of Sauron, the Nazgul, Gothmog, and the military might of Gorgoroth.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:36 am 

What?  Do I have to pay someone to take my MERP maps?  I'm offering to cover shipping - what more do you want?

I can't bring myself to throw out anything that could be useful. . . come on Morgan - If you don't ask for them I'm just going to send them to your doorstep.

Once I find out where that is. . .  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:38 am 

That would definitely up its price. I agree, you see the same thing with the H series mods. Not rare by any stretch, but since they require demigod characters, they are popular, hence more $$.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:15 pm 

beyondthebreach,

I would happily take them. :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:23 pm 

I'll take them as well. I could actually use them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:23 pm 

Well, then give 'em to Deadlord!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:26 pm 

Well...it seems I am a bit late.  I could put the Isengard maps in the one I just listed...or give it to the winner as a surprise.  I am unfamiliar with the names of the second one, so I am unsure if I could use it.  As I responded third and have the least tenure aboard, I would not feel slighted if you gave it to one of the others.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:34 pm 

I'll take them as well. I could actually use them.

Okay Frank - I'll get them out to you.  I still have your address from something you bought from me several months ago.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:56 pm 

btb-  The second map is from The Court of Ardor in Southern Middle Earth.

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:00 pm 

I know. I desperately need that one. That is one of the mods I picked up earlier this year that the guy said included the map and guess what? Frankie takes it in the can for feedback.

Next