All 77 1st Edition Merp Books...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:57 pm 

So should we all do a group hug now?

(Somehow I think this group is more the circle jerk type!)

moron with money

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:01 pm 

Circle Jerk?  Now you're talking!  I know I'm not involved in any of this MERP stuff, but you can count me in!  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:24 pm 

Zander (and the others), how about this as a little token of peace: When I receive the "major haul" (as you put it :)) I'll have a about 16 or so 1st edition modules I don't need (most of them with maps and in good to mint condition). How about if I give you guys first dibs on them, for a fair price? :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:36 am 

Hey, what happened to the guy who advocated buying them in the first place?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:14 am 

That's what the "(and the others)" was for. However, it should be noted that you later withdrew you support, convincing me that this was actually all a conspriacy on your part!!! ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:19 am 

Nah, never withdrew support, was just reconsidering.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:30 pm 

Morgan, Morgan, Morgan.........
$20 for Shelob's Lair with a $30 BIN? What has changed? Alas, poor Morgan, I knew him well..........

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:29 am 

Deadlord...

Wrong thread.  If you recall...this thread was going in the wrong direction.  It was regarding Leo's purchase.

Please see the other thread.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:08 am 

myalbinogorilla wrote:For a $1600 outlay, you should be getting a sure home run.

Hey 19hand....thought I could best reach you here....

1.  Regarding the quote above and Leo's purchase:  Please clarify how much you believe the lot is worth without shipping and if purchased individually.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:42 am 

I too use a mix of Mike Chapman's price index and a chart I developed from watching sales of all MERP items over the last year.  I also factor in the fact that for most of my items I don't start my auctions with as high of starting bids as you do and since your sales make up a significant percentage of my sales chart I usually knock anywhere from $5 to $15 per module off my estimated worth of an item.

I usually only bid on an item for resale purposes if I think I can make at least a %50 profit, ie seriously undervalued lots or singles.  This is my version of ethical reselling.  (I also back off auctions that are being bid on by acaeum mebers who are active on this board, unless it's way underpriced :) )  

In the case of leo's lot I would probably anticipate being able to make anywhere from $1500 to $2200 off of it at resale (after all the fees were deducted)  Not a sure thing %50 profit IMO.  With that much money going out I would have probably wanted more than %50 profit as I would be jeopardizing my marriage which is more than I care to risk on this hobby ( I too have a real job)  If I though I could easily sell the lot for $2500 or more, I buy her a dozen roses and she forgives me once the proceeds roll in and she buys jewelry.

moron with money

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:16 am 

LOL!!! You crack me up!  I think highly of you myalbinogorilla...19 hand...I am truly sorry that we had words before.  You are very kind/honest/and a great mediator..ever think of joining the UN?....er...nevermid...they are not what they once were.

At any rate, I also suspect that Deadlord respects you.  I understand the fact that both of you had issue with my former ethics regarding buying at the prices I bought (see...here is the only place you and I differ myalbinogorilla...you sought for 50% profit, while I simply decided that I would break even at the worst...I was looking to gain less...in the course, I guess I may have had a warped view and inadvertently maniupulated the market as you both have pointed out....sorry).  However regarding my chosen sale prices Deadlord...it seems that myalbinogorilla..19hand acutally grades the prices higher than I do!!!  I calculated the Leo lot at $1840 at resale price on Ebay for the books without considering the board games or shipping....He states a price of "1500 to $2200 off of it at resale (after all the fees were deducted) " .  Figuring that Ebay/Paypal take about what combined???...10-12%...looks like his figuring for the lot was about the same on average as I calculated.....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:26 am 

Leonides020 wrote:My my, you're a suspicious bunch. Heh. I'm not going to "explain myself" to anybody except to say everything I did was legal, so an email to eBay would be pretty pointless. I will say that the reason I retracted the bid on the 77 Lot was because the seller altered the description, and I wanted to check out what he had changed and talk to him.

I

Hey all...thought it would be interesting, so I contacted the seller of Leo' lot.  The seller and I have conversed at length before...she is a very decent nice person.  I wanted to see how honest Leo really is, so I asked her  a few questions.  The English is a little broken, but very sincere and kind:  What do you all think?
Dear rolfebus,

Congrats on the auction...I heard you settled with the high bidder at $1400. I am curious...what was revised on the auction page and had he/she (the high bidder) contacted you to ask what had changed? I ask this because he/she had placed a bid on the auction, retracted it, then sniped it at the last moment. He/she states it was retracted because of the listing revision, but it was revised on June 1 and he had bid on June4, retracted on June 5, the sniped on June 8. Looks to me like the first bid was a probe to find what my high/max bid was and then later bid again. Please reply. Best regards to you and yours.

Thank you,
morgansurname

DEAR MORGANSURNAME
Thanks for the interest I know you had it from the beginning and remember it well I wanted to send you a email saying
great 1313,13 with the question why not 1414,14 what is also a nice number and I was hoping than we would agree......
but it is terrible after closer seems everyone regrets..... got the winner and two others short after I got more or less already
a agreement with the highest bidder.......Yes I must admid I was also angry that he withdrawn his fist bid and I demaned
hem to read the instruction of e bay if you do you have to re enter the right amount what he did not at that time.....
I was then at that time  still not worried as I read on my list 18 bidders are following the auction so I was thing for sure I sell well waiting a good surprise (2500 remember incl 2nd merp by the why more or less the same price i paid for them )
  ............... that why I was at first very  disappointed ...........
You understand.......... I still had your more or less offer and bid in my pocket and as I wrote you I understand your situation very well and can agree with it........
I do not know of any revised entry I made only I think half houre after entry I think I saw some English mistakes which
i corrected but nothing serious i believe.....oje sorry yes now I remenber I took the maps 2008 of the list as they will not fit in the boxes and to mail seperate is crazy....sorry....
I got nice contact with a few bidders one I feel most sorry for now as he wrote me a long e mail explaining how to play te games as I wrote I do not know how etc ,..... still looks to me to complecated finding a rolemaster or and stories ...??????
but his service provider brookdown just half houre befor and for sure he wanted to bid more paying also less mailing for belgium
I have of course still the the second set and I feel but that is always after you know best your offer i better accepted in the first place
as I see lot of intereste still belive it is cheap but the buyers are students and young people with i feel some cash flow problems
I collected them as an addition to my tolkien collection but felt that if others can play with it better than standig in my bookselfs
Still I have not received the payment I hope he will do quickly otherwise .......what ?
I just started selling a little on ebay looks to me I have to do the ebay learning study to get the system better........but I will never become as good as you are for sure you look very professional me amateur.........
Can you tell me how and what you would have done reading you e mail below professialy I mean ?? I m confused......
Now still feeling sad that we could not find the middle road together............
thanks very much for you follow up and  I hope I explain the hole lot send me your phone number I call you and we talk it over if you want......
well "good" godfather wishing you well and healtheness.with thanks of yours....
a dutch ebay friend
Jan boom

P.S.
I see on the paypal meno below never pay with Western Union ??
Do you know it was the old bidpay was it not ?
I still can use it i think I  did not do  for a long time as paypal is easy for me ??
but I wonder ...... You know anything about it ????

Jan,

More questions and answers:

1.  Did the winner ever contact you after he withdrew the bid?  In other words, did he withdraw the bid and then email you to ask you what had changed on  your listing (what was revised)?

2.  Give yourself credit...you did a fine job on the listing.  It generated a lot of interest.  You also evidently handled the email end of things well.

3.  Regarding the email below....what the bidder did was wrong.  He is being reported to Ebay by another seller.  It appeared as though he put a bid in just to test the waters so to speak, and find my max bid.  Then bought it at the last moment.   I am not upset that I did not win, I am upset because he is a cheat.

4.  I am unsure about the W.U. question.  It has been around for a long time and is still in use.  Bidpay is something different I believe.  I am also unsure what exactly Paypal offers in line of insurance.  You have to pay extra to get something extra.  I think you have to pay upfront to get coverage from Paypal.  It seems like a ploy by Ebay/Paypal to keep people from using their competitor's services.

All the best

THANKS
1. No , only as I already told you he would bid again and follow up and after I read his payment history principel good payment
but i was afraid only small amounts ?? never the less with my other options i waitend to see waht
2 thanks you again I try to be serois kand and whatever like to have a little contact with the sellers and the buyers
to see if i can help with anthing.......
3 yes maybe you righr cheat i mean......but I m NAIF and STUPID I never was thing of that and in fact I m
(I remember when i still was working i sacked someone because of bad behaufiers as i found out at ones
but never was thinking it would happend it was already going on for 2 yeras befor i felt something wrong......)
4 yes that is it compiteter i think so too.

WELL I A MEMBER OF MANY TOLKIEN SOCIETIES AND I HOPE WHEN I SPEAK MEMBERS AND THEY INTERESTED
I KNOW MANY OF THEM READ FOR SURE I WILL DIRECT THEM TO TOU MY FRIEND MERP-GODFAHTER  
VIA EBAY OF YOUR EBAY SHOP........(no commission hahaha good)

GOOD HEALTH AND HAPPENESS
TILL WE MEET AGAIN
ANY PROBLEM WITH A DUTCH CUSTUMER TELL ME I SORT IT OUT FOR YOU......

JAN

Hmmmm....looks like Leo never mailed Jan to ask anything.  In fact, Jan contacted him to find out what was up with the retraction....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:02 pm 

Hahahaha!

She called morgansurname the MERP Godfather!!!  

That is about the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Look out leo you may get an offer you can't refuse soon!

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:24 pm 

Hurry up, or I'll make her an offer she can't refuse.
Leo, I'd probably consider buying it if you do not. I still need many MERP mods, and if the wife complains I can just beat her.
Myalbinogorilla is probably the MOST ethical person here. I have seen him back off auctions before, including ones I was bidding on. He is 100% rock solid in my book.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:17 pm 

Heh. Yes, Jan is a very nice person. Morgan may be the MERP Godfather, but she now refers to me as the "MERP King of Boston." ;)

Very charming, and a very nice lady! I already paid the moola and was informed that the boxes are on their way across the Atlantic. :)

I also recieved a very pleasant letter from eBay informing me that I should't use bid retraction so much in such a short time... thanks fellas. ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:49 pm 

Leonides020 wrote:Heh. Yes, Jan is a very nice person. Morgan may be the MERP Godfather, but she now refers to me as the "MERP King of Boston." ;)

Very charming, and a very nice lady! I already paid the moola and was informed that the boxes are on their way across the Atlantic. :)

I also recieved a very pleasant letter from eBay informing me that I should't use bid retraction so much in such a short time... thanks fellas. ;)

Glad you were civil to her....but now you have us wondering...were you lying to her in this latest mail she sent me or to the forum when you said you retracted the bid because the seller had revised the item and you wanted to contact him to talk...also...you never contacted her until after the sale.... :(  :o  :?  8O  :roll:  :!:  :?: ROBERT
I JUST GOT THIS SHORT REPLEY FROM THE HIGHEST BIDDER

The retraction thing was a misunderstanding. I seriously put in the wrong big amount!

JUST HOPE THAT HE MEANS IT TO ME ANYWHY HIS WAS NICE AND PLEASANT
NO COMPLAIN THERI AND PAID QUICKLY ........

JAN

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:00 pm 

I didn't lie in either. The official reason I put down was that I bid too high, which I did, but I also so that she revised the listing. I didn't know what she revised so I was going to ask. Before I got a chance she emailed me first (like 4 hours later) and we spoke a bit. Further, after the final bid I never contacted her. She contacted me and asked if I'd like to go ahead with the sale even though it didn't meet the reserve amount.

Robert, no offense, but I think you have far too much time on your hands.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:54 pm 

Agreed, this thread should die a quick and quiet death. Who cares what happened? Not I............

PreviousNext