All 77 1st Edition Merp Books...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:22 pm 

Leonides020 wrote: I will say that the reason I retracted the bid on the 77 Lot was because the seller altered the description, and I wanted to check out what he had changed and talk to him.

No what Leo...your explanation does not hold much salt.  This is for several reasons (see the pasting from the actual auction page for correlation below):

1. I had bid on June 1.  You bid on  4.  You retracted on June 5.  Then turned around and sniped the auction on June 8 (by the by...I fully condone sniping..just not if you bid/retracted to find out the high and max bids/sniped).

2.  Your retraction states "Entered wrong bid amount ".  Sorry, but one of the explanation states something like "seller changed listing".

3. And most importantly:  The seller revised the listing on June 1 and according to the seller's page editted the title/subtitle!!!!  What did the seller say he/she changed by the way?

Date of Bid Bid Amount User ID
Jun-08-04 10:46:54 PDT  US $1,338.13  leonides020( 42)  
Jun-01-04 19:33:21 PDT  US $1,313.13  morgansurname( 634)  
Jun-02-04 16:31:40 PDT  US $1,069.99  ihugtrees( 4 )  
Jun-02-04 16:28:52 PDT  US $1,011.00  ihugtrees( 4 )  

Bidders: You can retract your bid under certain circumstances only.
Sellers: See how to cancel bids if you need to.  

Bid retraction and cancellation history  
Date of Bid and Retraction Action / Explanation User ID
Bid: Jun-04-04 19:37:16 PDT
Retraction: Jun-05-04 11:44:16 PDT  Retraction: US $1,338.13
Explanation: Entered wrong bid amount  leonides020( 42)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:09 pm 

For example:

Ents of Fangorn runs $15-$20 typically. Your price would be $39.99.
Ardor? Umbar? The ones that Palechimp and I have been looking for? They usually go anywhere from $50-$80. You have them from $100 up.
Keep in mind, I cannot factor in auction prices wherein you were a bidder (which amounts to nearly every MERP auction) since you inflated a price that probably would have been considerably less.
Gorillaman, agree or disagree? He is a better source for MERP pricing than myself, though I am no slouch.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:34 pm 

You guys are very paranoid! Ah, well. Obviously there is little I can do to appease your thirst for blood.  :?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:59 pm 

Don't sweat it, I've been the subject of several witch hunts. The dogs must feed.........
One thing is true, though. eGay will close an account for too many retractions.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:15 pm 

Leonides020 wrote:You guys are very paranoid! Ah, well. Obviously there is little I can do to appease your thirst for blood.  :?

Have it your way. I don't appreciate the way you handled my auctions. Let's see what eBay thinks of it.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:15 pm 

deadman-  Personally I would have never ever paid that much for that MERP lot.  As some of you know I am friends with leo.  He is known for youthful exuberance and he just started collecting this stuff.  I truly believe that he is just learning the ebay system and forums such as this will help him to become a better, more ethical, ebayer in the future.  Retracting bids is not a good move and he will learn this or be banned.

The 77 item lot he bought is about $500 more than I would have paid (including shipping.)  If he is smart, he will resell almost the entire lot and make most or all of his money back and, if there is any, spend the profit  more wisely in the future.  The key to collecting on a budget is patience and never paying market value or over on anything.   If you buy a large lot, make sure it's at a significant discount.  In my opinion this lot, at this price, is way overpriced.  If I tried to resell it I would be lucky to turn a decent profit.  For a $1600 outlay, you should be getting a sure home run.

You guys who feel burned by leo's retracted bids, rest assured, he is actually a really good guy.  Mentor him and teach him the error of his ways with patience and respect.  He will learn, accept criticism and one day be an asset to the collecting community.  Attack hime and you may drive him to the dark side!  I think we can all agree we don't want another collector from the dark side.  Right Frank!?   :twisted:

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:33 pm 

You know, I think I might have to revise my opinion. The appeal is to get the collection in one fell swoop. Personally I'd prefer that, but you do have a point, most of the items there can be had for less than the $18 each figure.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:43 pm 

I edited my previous post for you Frank!

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:25 pm 

I knew I liked you for a reason. Hey those 5 MERPS I got with Tammie were gem mint. What a streak. Angmar, Umbar, Ardor, North Mirk and another, can't remember the name.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:30 pm 

Youthful exuberence! Well.. maybe a little.  :oops:

I do apologize if I offended you guys through the bid retractions, that was not my intent.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:31 pm 

1.  Re: Leo
The interaction that I had with him showed great quality, desire to do the right thing, and courtesy.  In the end, we came to a mutual agreement and compromise.  Although I at first was skeptical, I accepted his explanation in earnest, until the post from zander.  That made me question the possiblity that he was a shady character.  Still, I have not reported him to Ebay.  Given the above recent post, I will watch his activity with interest.  By the way...last night he had only 5 retractions, including the one for the lot...today he has nine.  Are the other four all from zander?  Are there other sellers out there that feel cheated?

2.  Re: myalbinogorilla
Having spoken/written to you before, I know you to be fair and honest.  I give your advice much weight.  

3.  Re:  Deadlord
You still have not sited your sources.  So far as the Ents go, it had gone for $20 on average (this you can verify on Mike C.'s site) until the Two Towers opened.  It has gone for $30 on average since.  That is what I start all of my Ents at...$30...not your quote.  The BIN is a different story.  If I have changed things much, I cannot say.  But know that other than in lots, I have not been the high bidder on many of this particular title.  So far as Ardor and Umbar, they respectively sold on average for $125 and $100 before the movies were released.  They had sold for as much as $350 and $200 before then as well.  This is also much before I began my buying for my personal use and way before I started selling.  I have noted that their value is dwindling as I have been the high bidder for perhaps a dozen Umbars and five Ardors this year.  But before that, I could not touch them.  They are known to be the rarest of MERP titles and even scarce with the maps....I wonder why so many have surfaced lately however....

Re: MERP....

I really think that this particular thread is going the wrong way.  Mostly the fault is my own.  Frank...I will start a new thread regarding MERP (even though I know this site to be a D&D site...but where else is there?).
Care to cross words/ideas/numbers?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:35 pm 

On another note really related to this thread, Leo also backed out of a transaction in 08/03 and received a neutral hit.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:16 pm 

Two of the retractions were on my auctions. I wouldn't have minded had he been honest, which I don't feel he was.

I'm always up for seeing someone win a major haul, and that $1.4K MERP lot fits the description. I would have been happy to support his quest and wouldn't have minded the retractions - had he just explained it to me. But he didn't, and that bugged me.

And the "youthful exuberance" he showed on here didn't help either. Sorry Leo, but next time, don't p*ss in someone's face and tell them it's raining...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:22 pm 

Well, I apologized for offending you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:34 pm 

Wow, 6 of us on at the same time. Prolly a record for a non-special event night.
I don't deal merely in statistics when I decide on a price. Demand and prior pricing is all fine and dandy, but I also factor in useability, desireability and resale value. That applies to ALL RPG items I deal with. I've never to my knowledge overcharged someone for any item I sold/traded. If I was to sell my Ardor, I'd ask $80 or so. And it is MINT. I'm not interested in putting the screws to some poor working slob who collects and uses RPG stuff just to add a few bucks to my wallet. We work to earn money to support our collecting.
That does not mean that if you realize a profit from selling something, that it is a crime. It's the market manipulation and denial of items to the common market that is an issue.
I believe that if you look at auctions where you were not a bidder, you'll see that the average price for Fangorn is...........$17 or so. MERP items are just not that rare, with some exceptions. They do not deserve to command $40 each, they are far too common for that. Just because a few individuals HAVE to have an item does not mean it's value is what they are willing to pay, it means they are fucking idiots. You see it all the time, people buying A series modules for $30 each, etc. It does NOT mean that A1 is worth $30.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:55 pm 

Leonides020 wrote:Well, I apologized for offending you.

True, you did. For that, I respect you. Most people wouldn't bother facing the issue and you did.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:57 pm 

So should we all do a group hug now?

(Somehow I think this group is more the circle jerk type!)

moron with money

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:01 pm 

Circle Jerk?  Now you're talking!  I know I'm not involved in any of this MERP stuff, but you can count me in!  :D

PreviousNext