All 77 1st Edition Merp Books...
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:25 pm 

On eBay one of the guys was selling all 77 1st edition Merp books. He's offering it to me now for $1400. You guys have way more experience then I do, so do you think this is a good deal? All are in perfect condition with their maps and everything. They've been sitting on his bookshelf.

Here's the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I've been collecting them individually for about 2 months now, but the quality is often a crap-shoot, and with shipping & handling charges...

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:27 pm 

At 18 a book? I'd do it, then sell me your doubles at a cheap price for giving such good advice.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:21 pm 

Hehe. Alright, sounds good to me. :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:35 pm 

Me too!
Seriously, I'd be happy to pick up your extras if I need them. I know whitemonkey needs one as well, not sure which one though

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:03 pm 

Cool. I'll let you know which ones I have doubles of!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:56 pm 

Ahem.....Hi.

Not that I know much about MERP, but my little calculator came up with a total of $1840 for the books plus the four board games (they were highly variable when I came up with my chart based on Mike Chapman's site on the Victoria Cross webpage).  So at $1400.00 plus $200 s/h you got the lot at a reduction of $240 and the four boxed sets.  Of course, my prices have been highly and hotly debated as of late!  Thus, you probably got them at market value or so based on the opinions of the Acaeum webgroup.  Nice lot however nonetheless.  Plus, you saved hours of bidding!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:20 am 

On eBay one of the guys was selling all 77 1st edition Merp books. He's offering it to me now for $1400.

Ah, now I see. This must be why you just withdrew your bids on two of my MERP auctions without any explanation.

Maybe you'd like to offer me first dibs on one or two of the doubles in return?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:19 am 

Hmmm...you have a point zander.

In fact, he had used a BIN on one of mine (Weathertop) a few weeks ago, sent me an email stating that it was an accident (he was talking to a friend on a phone and somehow did not notice the big BIN sign and the fact that you do not have to put a price in to BIN...he stated he tried to bid $24.99 when the BIN was $39.99).  After I let him off the hook, he proceeded to bid on another Weathertop before I could even relist mine to give him a chance at a normal proxy bid!  I compromised with him and he paid $34.99 (It is on the way!).  

Look again at the auction for the big 77 lot. Peek into the bid history.  He also bid on the books after I had, outbid me, cancelled his bid, then sniped the books at the last moment for presumably just enough to outbid me...odd?

Hmmmm....and my tactics and morals are at issue in his mind?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:31 am 

morgansurname wrote:Hmmmm....and my tactics and morals are at issue in his mind?

Agreed. :?  

Sorry Leonides020, but withdrawing your bid because you found a "better deal" isn't the best way to conduct business on eBay. It's not against the rules, but it's not guaranteed to make you very popular.

Care to explain yourself?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:44 am 

Actually...it is against the "rules".  Your bid is a contract....how many times have you seen/read that statement?  So, not only is it agains the rules...it is in direct violation of a minor law by breach of contract.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:56 am 

morgansurname wrote:Actually...it is against the "rules".  Your bid is a contract....how many times have you seen/read that statement?  So, not only is it agains the rules...it is in direct violation of a minor law by breach of contract.

He won an auction or he retracted a bid?  

It's not against ebay rules to retract a bid, you get a certain amount every 6 months before it resets or youre suspended for doing it too many times.

If he won an auction and didnt pay without some kind of agreement or settlement, thats breaching the contract.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:04 pm 

Terminal_Frost wrote:  

It's not against ebay rules to retract a bid, you get a certain amount every 6 months before it resets or youre suspended for doing it too many times.

Checking his userid, there have been nine retractions in the last six months.  The legality isn't questionable (according to eBay), but in my view, it's the ethics that are questionable.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:22 pm 

He paid $34.99 for Weathertop?!?! Did he at least get a reach-around out of it? An ass-smacking, maybe? "Attaboy"?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:27 pm 

Here ya go:  Right from Ebay

Can I retract or cancel my bid?

You can retract your bid for the following reasons:
You make a typographical error and enter the wrong bid amount. For instance, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95. If this occurs, enter the correct bid amount immediately after you retract your bid. If you do not place another bid, the retraction will be in violation of eBay's policy and could result in your suspension. Please review the retraction guidelines if you need to retract your bid. The description of an item you have bid on changed significantly after you placed your bid.
You cannot contact the seller. This means that you tried to call the seller, but his or her phone number doesn't work, or that you have tried emailing a message to the seller and it comes back undeliverable.

Invalid bid retraction policy

eBay rule
Under certain exceptional circumstances, eBay will allow a buyer to retract a bid.

However, misuse or frequent use of the bid retraction option is not permitted on eBay. This includes any manipulation of the bidding process to discover the maximum bid of the current high bidder.

To report a trading offense:
Contact Us. .
Include the appropriate information, including any relevant emails, with full descriptions in the subject line and complete email headers. Learn more about displaying complete headers for your email program.
Only report a case once—multiple emails about the same case slow an investigation.

eBay: Redirect

Extra help for successful bidding

Go through the Buyer's Checklist carefully to prepare to bid.

Don't bid on identical items in different listings if you are just looking to buy one. If you win both, you'll be obligated to buy them both! Each bid you place enters you in a binding contract.

If you are outbid on one item, wait until that auction has ended before placing a bid on an equivalent item. If the bidder who outbid you retracts his/her bid or becomes unregistered before the auction ends, your bid may become the winning bid. Consider placing the identical item on your list of items you're watching in My eBay.

Your bid is a contract - Place a bid only if you're serious about buying the item. If you are the winning bidder, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before bidding.  (You were right terminal...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:30 pm 

Hey Deadlord...I did also want to ask your opinion on some questions:

1.  What do you think each MERP book is worth?
2.  What makes you belive they are worth that amount in your view?
3.  Where did you find the information to support your opinion?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:31 pm 

Hmmm... I sense an email to eBay is in my future.

Unless leonides020 cares to explain his actions?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:43 pm 

My my, you're a suspicious bunch. Heh. I'm not going to "explain myself" to anybody except to say everything I did was legal, so an email to eBay would be pretty pointless. I will say that the reason I retracted the bid on the 77 Lot was because the seller altered the description, and I wanted to check out what he had changed and talk to him.

I will have a dozen or so doubles after this bid and will offer them to the collectors here first.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:06 pm 

Leonides020 wrote: Heh. I'm not going to "explain myself" to anybody except to say everything I did was legal, so an email to eBay would be pretty pointless.

Yes, it's legal - technically. As morgansurname pointed out, you can retract a bid if you enter the wrong amount (we've probably all done this), the description of the item has changed or you can't reach the seller. You can retract your bid for one of those three reasons. Otherwise, all bids on eBay are binding (except real estate and illegal items).

You had bid on two of my items (Ents of Fangorn and Goblin-Gate). This morning, I find that you retracted your bids, sans explanation. Then you're on here talking about buying a huge lot - which includes the above two items. Seems you don't want them anymore because you found a better deal. Nice work. And I will be following up with eBay on this one.

Next