Amazon: a cautionary tale
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm 

This is all very strange to me.  Amazon is here in Seattle, including their customer service.  One of my close friends works there, in customer service fraud investigation (Germany).  I have worked closely with Amazon in my old job and in a current incarnation selling RPG books myself, with hundreds of transactions.

I have never had any of those problems.

For one thing, when Amazon refunds a customer, that money does not come out of your account.  Part of your seller protection (which is why you pay such a high transaction fee) ensures this, except in rare cases.

Another thing is that Amazon kills ebay for most RPG sales.  You get literally double or more for those items.  I sold a Witchfire Trilogy hardback for $177.50 on Amazon, this doesnt normally sell for over $50 on ebay.  It was only listed 3 days too!  Thats not an outlier; I have sold many Black Library books for $60+ as well.

I think you must have just gotten unlucky.  If you dont have time to make some calls to straighten out an issue, you dont have time to be selling online anyway.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm 

That is not my experience of Amazon.co.uk. Amazon offer no protection to the seller against fraud in my experience, and they also provide little check on the integrity of buyers. It is common knowledge that Amazon is the place to go if you want something for free, because very few sellers will send something recorded, as their shipping fee is already dictated by Amazon, and even if they do send it recorded, you can get a full refund by saying it was not delivered.

There is absolutely no protection to the seller whatsoever as far as I am aware. As a seller, I have to sell safely and protect my investment, and that means pretty much selling privately, selling through eBay, selling through RPGMarketplace, or selling on any website on the planet except Amazon.

I've tried most methods of selling RPG stock over the last few years (as eBay's fees rise), and keep returning to eBay because it's the only show in town. Until Amazon start taking sellers seriously, they will always be the flea market of the online resale trade. Your experience of fraud online with Amazon is not common. You seem to have been very lucky.

I still go to Amazon for new books and DVDs, but there is no way of trusting anything they front fro anyone else, no way of knowing what you're buying, no way of seeing a picture of it, no way of assessing the honesty or integrity of either seller or buyer, and no way of getting Amazon 'customer services' as they like to call it to provide any measurable level of service other than what their stock computer programme answers generate for them.

Let's fave it, the only business on the planet capable of taking on eBay would be either Google or Microsoft, and both would need to buy in expertise, and neither are interested or inclined to move into sales. Amazon is the Yahoo! of the online retail market. Something people are aware of and happy to use, but only for specific tasks. Take-over bate.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:56 am 

Next time, Xax, scan the DC sticker in, send it to the buyer, and inform him you are going to submit him to the PO for mail fraud. You'd be shocked how quickly people change their tune when they know their scam is exposed.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 am 

Surely if the PO have a signature and the seller claims it was not received, it should be reported to the police as a case of fraud? Especially as you can demonstrate financial loss.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Previous