Who are the experts for particular games?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 am 

Lemurs.  And even then, not really.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:53 am 

I am always willing to throw in my two-cents on Call of Cthulhu items.
The caveat would be that I am not up on the current price on many of the items since I have a near complete collection and have not been watching the auctions.
When Deities & Demigods was first released a ran an AD&D campaign based on the Cthulhu Mythos. That was before Chaosium released Call of Cthulhu.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 pm 

Other than Castles and Crusades, I could likely answer many questions regarding Shadowrun 1st or 2nd edition, as well as Earthdawn 1st edition. However, I would not say I am an expert... just someone who has too much stuff.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 pm 

serleran wrote:However, I would not say I am an expert... just someone who has too much stuff.

I think that is how I feel too.  I learn more with each new purchase but my want list is still so huge, I'm not sure I really know much at all.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:52 pm 

I'd say, if you have a large private library, even if you do not have intimate knowledge of evertything that's in your library, then to a certain degree, provided you understand and use the knowledge base therein, you have expertise.

If I have a particular question about a particular product that is not published by TSR, or would like to compare printings from within a product line, I can go to Mars and ask my questions. Whether that results in him going and looking and then coming back with his analysis, or whether he can answer off the top of his head is neither here nor there. To me the expertise are there because it's where I go with the questions I have.

Similarly, I find people come to me with questions about PDFs and occasionally about values for certain items. These are based solely on my own perceptions and experience, and I feel I am in no way expert in either Adobe Acrobat, ot the valuations of non-TSR D&D products.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:55 am 

Nicely stated
8)

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:19 am 

So are Mars and Guy Fullerton the experts on MERP and Rolemaster items?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:10 am 

ericthecleric wrote:So are Mars and Guy Fullerton the experts on MERP and Rolemaster items?

Whale Tagger (Frank/Deadlord) and a few others, phps. If you were fishing at the start of this thread that's only a fair result, I guess. ;)
BYOA

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 am 

ericthecleric wrote:So are Mars and Guy Fullerton the experts on MERP and Rolemaster items?

I know a reasonable amount on MERP and Rolemaster now. Though Guy and Mars probably know more.

Why not just ask away here and see who answers? There are threads on just about every RPG. Rather than having bona fide experts, there are a lot that know a little and when that collective knowledge is put together on a thread .... voila! Sites like this one, through our Wiki and ToT are working to build a foundation of expertise on all RPG collectibles.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 am 

I definitely wouldn't call myself an expert on MERP or Rolemaster.  I have never really "actively collected" these but if there is a sale that seems to be going cheap I might put in a bid.  I have accumulated maybe 50 or so such books.  Small Press RPG items are probably more my strongest area - ICE being too big of a company.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 pm 

I'm certainly more in the "guy who has too much stuff" than the "expert" category.  And I don't follow price fluctuations very closely.

I know a thing or two about lead figures, but for expert advice I'd point to leadjunkie and JohnGaunt.  Similarly, I know a bit about Runequest and Chaosium products, but I'd say jasonw1239 and g026r have more expertise.

Shanghai fun & friends!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:31 pm 

I have only passing familiarity with Rolemaster stuff. I rely on Brent Knorr's site for my RM info; if anybody's a Rolemaster expert, it's Brent, although I don't know that he posts here.

I'm pretty familiar with 1st edition MERP, but I don't know if I'd go as far to call myself an expert; I don't pay attention to valuation as much as I should, for example. I do have a goodly amount of experience with the print variations of MERP stuff, though, and I enjoy answering MERP q's.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm 

My Expertise (experience) in 1st / 2nd Ed AD&D would be anything with the Living City Campaign, and/or products.

I played in the LC campaign for 15 years [1988-2003]

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:34 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:I played in the LC campaign for 15 years [1988-2003]

While you mention it, do you have copies of:

LC5 A Player's Guide to the Living City
LC6 Procampur Packet

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm 

and can I have them... :P

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 pm 

Mars wrote:
While you mention it, do you have copies of:

LC5 A Player's Guide to the Living City
LC6 Procampur Packet

I have what's called LC5, although to the best of my knowledge it never had that number officially.

I'll see if I still have the e-mail of the guy that ran the Procampur campaign setting within LC, and see what he has...

And no, my LC items are NOT tradable, or for sale (unless you offer some really stupid trade.... no no no... it's not for trade at all...  :lol: )

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 pm 

trade? I just want you to give em to me;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 pm 

Stupid in whose favor?

PreviousNext