Thinking of selling off my DCCs... need advice.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:43 am 

Well, after buying up a ton of DCCs and grabbing both the Gazetteer and the #30 Tourney box in the last few months (both at regular price) I'm thinking now that that money would have been better spent on beefing up my TSR rares collection... I have a big row of the stuff on my shelf and I find myself bummed that I don't have the cash-flow to pick up the TSR stuff I still need and the Grenadier Gold Series stuff I really want.

I'm sure I'll get hosed on the more common mods and the CW box but I hope that the rarer boxes will make up for it.

I'll prolly keep (and continue to buy) the 1st edition stuff and any of the mods that feature the old TSR artists.

I guess I spread myself to thin.

Am I stupid? should I hang on to this stuff for a while longer? should I move it now?

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 am 

I think you should hang on to it.

The market for DCCs is saturated right now, even the DCC#35 since that one seller sold set after set. DCC #50 I have seen for under $40 and the rest were being dumped by noble knight for chump change.

The DCC#30 boxed set might go for the most. (And if you want to sell it, which I'd say you shouldn't, I know I'd like to get a copy).

If you have the rarer DCC convention modules you can probably get a decent amount for those.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:29 am 

Selling in collector's market is about making the most money out of what you have and using it to buy things that are rare and at a fair price. This is definately not the time to sell, because the value of DCCs will rise over the next few years, and it's not the time to buy rares either, because those who do buy rares are spending just as much as they always did. Whilst there has been a slight downturn in the value of most uncommons, and the market is being flooded by people selling off collections, there has been little or no depression in the value of rares, and even a slight rise.

My advice is to play the waiting game. Sit on what you have untill you can get a good return, and do not covet what you cannot yet afford. Everything always turns up on eBay at some point, or can be had through one or other contact on the boards. It's just a matter of time.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I think you should hang on to it.

The market for DCCs is saturated right now, even the DCC#35 since that one seller sold set after set. DCC #50 I have seen for under $40 and the rest were being dumped by noble knight for chump change.

The DCC#30 boxed set might go for the most. (And if you want to sell it, which I'd say you shouldn't, I know I'd like to get a copy).

If you have the rarer DCC convention modules you can probably get a decent amount for those.

I would totally agree with Jason.  The market seems to be saturated with the more common items at the moment so you would probably take a hit over what you initially paid. :(  If you can afford to wait, the prices might recover in another year or two, but it might be even longer.

If you have the #17.5 or #20.5, they will sell for a pretty good price.  The #30 is more common but will move quickly; however the recent sales of the #35 box set have run down their price temporarily... three to six months at least.

TheMilford wrote:I guess I spread myself to thin.

Happens to us all. :)

Part of the fun of collecting is the hunt to acquire, but if you are not enjoying them or the DCC's are holding you back from other pieces you want more, by all means sell them.  Still, a tough decision either way.

Good luck.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 am 

As stated above; The seller that had all the DCC 35 Gazetteer Box Sets listed them one right after another a couple of months in a row.
The last ones she listed in the Shrink Wrap were selling for around $60-70 tops.... with a couple for a little less than that (John Gaunt won her last complete set for $52 IIRC)
A few months before they were selling for no less than $135 and higher.
She is out of the DCC 35 Gazetteer Box Sets now, but it has been TOO soon since she sold her last one.
She has sold a lot of other DCC items too and has more to sell.

As DOT, Smarmy, and Jason stated, you will definately take a serious hit right now (Most probably for the rest of this year at least) when selling ANY of the common 3.x DCC stuff and I think that even the rares are going to be selling for less than they had been at first.
Several sellers still have rows of shelves filled with common DCC modules and DCC box sets and list them every day.
Not just the DCC 35 set either, DCC 51 (Castle Whiterock) is going for around $20-35 now...... SWed...

If you MUST sell now, the only way to do it (IMO) would be using some very crafty and imaginative forethought along with creative lot management and descriptions in your listings.
Listing them with a high starting price would be E-Bay suicide too.
And right now High would be what YOU paid for them new....
E-Bay fees will eat your lunch as they will not sell....

One seller recently listed medium sized lots of common DCC modules in a way that they formed a Campaign when combined with the lowest  level module (LVL 1 PC) leading to the next level module (LVL 2-3 PC) and so on with 6-9 modules per lot.
This is similar to the DCC Box Sets (Saga of the Dragon Cult and The Heroes Arise) that Goodman once offered that included a handfull of otherwise common modules grouped into a nice neat Boxed Set as a larger Campaign.
His lots of modules sold for decent money, especially when compairing the low amounts other lots of common DCCs have been going for of late.
If I had to sell mine I would do something similar.

I agree with the advice above.
.... wait as long as possible.

I had considered doing the same thing as you, but opted to keep my extras of DCC Modules and sell other stuff instead.
Stuff I have less interest in keeping than I once did, like early issues of some magazines, and other older RPG related items that I have less interest in keeping now.
Those items are not nearly as common on the E-Bay market as DCC modules are, yet even those things seem to sell for less than expected, or not at all.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am 

Nothing too new to add here.  I'm not sure if waiting is really going to improve the price on most of these or not.  Noble Knight probably still has a ton of these and has been regularly selling the bundles on Ebay.  In the bundles, the modules tend to sell for around $3 each and Castle Whiterock in shrink sells for around $40.

If you are looking to sell, it might be worthwhile to sell the DCC modules that are missing from the NK bundles since people picking up those sets might also be looking to fill in the holes.

Also, if you are going to go the Ebay route, stick the high priced auctions in a BIN type auction and accept offers and see what happens.  These auctions only cost 35 cents to list (cheaper if you pay for a monthly store).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:12 pm 

TheMilford wrote:Well, after buying up a ton of DCCs and grabbing both the Gazetteer and the #30 Tourney box in the last few months (both at regular price) I'm thinking now that that money would have been better spent on beefing up my TSR rares collection... I have a big row of the stuff on my shelf and I find myself bummed that I don't have the cash-flow to pick up the TSR stuff I still need and the Grenadier Gold Series stuff I really want.

I'm sure I'll get hosed on the more common mods and the CW box but I hope that the rarer boxes will make up for it.

I'll prolly keep (and continue to buy) the 1st edition stuff and any of the mods that feature the old TSR artists.

I guess I spread myself to thin.

Am I stupid? should I hang on to this stuff for a while longer? should I move it now?

Hey, Milford:

I would advise you to list what you have for sale right here on the Acaeum, with prices or a price range or whatever.  (I suppose you shoud list them in the classified forums and just point people to that from here.)

I'm sure there will be higher bidders for some of the more collectible DCC stuff, but I still need to fill some basic collection gaps and there are probably others here as well.

You might actually make some quicker cash back than going Ebay.  Aside from some typing time I can't see what you have to lose.

Oh - and if you're stupid then all of us are.  :x   Spending too much on RPG collecting is what we do.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 pm 

Here's what I got:
Saga of the Dragon Cult Box (#2, #6, #10, #17)
Heron Arise Box (#7, #8, #12, #43, #45)
#3 The Mysterious Tower
#4 Bloody Jack's Gold
#11 The Dragon Fiend Pact
#20 Shadows in Freeport
#21 Assault on Stormbringer Castle
#24 Legend of the Ripper
#30 Vault of the Dragon Kings -- Tournament Edition (Boxed) SHRINK
#34 Cage of Delirium
#35 Gazetteer of the Known Realms (Boxed) SHRINK
#39 The Ruins of Castle Churo
#48 The Adventure Continues
#49 Palace in the Wastes
#50 Vault of the Iron Overlord
#51 Castle Whiterock
#51.5 The Sinister Secret of Whiterock

1E Modules
Tower of the Black Pearl/The Golden Auroch
Saga of the Rat King
Saga of the Witch Queen

I would like to maybe keep any of the Erol Otus stuff and the 1st E stuff... But it seems the boxed sets might go for a decent price...

Still thimnking... when I decide to let them go i will post them in Classifieds.

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by TheMilford on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm 

Not a good time to sell.
I bought them all in PDF so that I didn't tie up money in stock.
Still, DCC#30T and DCC#50 are good investment pieces. I'm sure someone in the US will give you the going rate ATM because they are surefire profit makers in the medium term.
Is you Saga of the Rat King a GenCon one or a NKG one?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:04 pm 

. wrote:Not a good time to sell.
I bought them all in PDF so that I didn't tie up money in stock.
Still, DCC#30T and DCC#50 are good investment pieces. I'm sure someone in the US will give you the going rate ATM because they are surefire profit makers in the medium term.
Is you Saga of the Rat King a GenCon one or a NKG one?

NKG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:06 pm 

Unfortunately, the later print 1E stuff is only just scraping it's cover price.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:02 am 

Why does everyone think that DCC 50 Vault of the Iron Overlord is something special?
I dont get it....

Did you mean DCC 51 the HUGE Box Set? Whiterock Castle?
Listed price was something like $79.99, sells for around $40 these days (more or less)
If so, many here feel that it is nothing special either, have you read the reviews on this forum?
(I dont think its nearly as bad as some do and I have read it all).

As for the 1E DCC modules, I think they all sell at or better than cover price.
I would buy the Witch Queen Module as I am still looking for a copy of that one.
If not too expensive, I would buy all three of them.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:34 am 

I think the idea is that DCC50 has a couple good things going for it - tournament module and by Monte.  Personally, I doubt it will increase much since it was so massively produced.  Noble Knight still has over 50 copies of DCC50 for sale.

Similar for DCC 51, too many copies easily found for a cheap price - again NK has 53 copies available.

The 1E items, have a better shot at retaining/increasing in price since their quantity on the market is much more limited.  However, when something like 10 copies successively on the market is enough to drop the price by more than 50% (as with DCC 35) it seems evident that the market does not have much depth.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:09 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Why does everyone think that DCC 50 Vault of the Iron Overlord is something special?
I dont get it....

This was discussed at some point after DCC #50 was released.  Besides being written by Monte Cook as Mars pointed out, it also has the rotating map on the cover interior which is affixed to the cover by a metal stud.  If the module becomes compressed during shipping it can cause damage to the cover.  Not to mention the possibility of the map being damaged or removed being a possible issue.

Regardless of those factors I dont see it becoming any more valuable that any other common DCC module.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:09 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote: Not to mention the possibility of the map being damaged or removed being a possible issue.

Not to mention that mine has the top cut at an angle... as many of them did (I hear).

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the explanation guys.
Did not see that other discussion.

I have a few copies of that module and did not find them tough to find at all.
Most of them came to me from E-Bay lots I purchased while I was trying to build my DCC set.
D20 3.x Edition modules that is.
In those lots, DCC 50 was not one of the modules I was trying to get.

I was totally unaware that some folks felt the module valuable; although, I can see the pin and layered spinning maps being a concern.
Makes perfect sense... Appreciate it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:42 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:DCC #50 I have seen for under $40 ...

Yeah, so have I: Amazon, for one, is selling them for $15. That price drops to less than $8 for anyone willing to buy from an Amazon Marketplace seller.

DCC 50

What's the deal with DCC #50 around here? It's a decent item by a name-brand author, but it's never been particularly rare or difficult to get. I've ended up with three of the damn things myself without hardly even trying.

I'm not sure if this is wishful thinking or if the general consensus is that it's just a cool little item, but as far as collectibility goes, I'd guess we're talking many, many years before #50 becomes a hot commodity. If it ever does.