RPG Geek coming soon!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:55 pm 

You disect the issue much more eloquently than I could have, Mike.
I would say I have a problem with sites run by ignorant arseholes.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:30 pm 

I hope you stick around here Eryops, I think you have handled the personal criticism you got for bringing this up pretty well.  As to the BGG rpg site (if it appears), I am thusfar sceptical that it will be useful for many people here - considering the depth of experience of many of the long-time contributors.  I suppose the best that could be hoped for is that it becomes a useful rival for ebay.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 am 

Wow...
Just Wow...

Never read this thread until today after KoP led me to it after I asked a question about why some feel that BGG is not worth bothering with.
Even that was a bit misleading, as it looks from reading most of the thread that it was the idea (Concern/Fear?) of a planned RPG Geek Site that had some folks here spitting....

Anyway.... Wow....

From what VERY LITTLE I know of BGG itself (NOT the planned RPGG site) I find it very useful when trying to find data about board games of any type.

Dont know anything whatsoever about the so-called Forums as I have never visited them other than one time to try to find a place to advertise/sell a board game a while back...
Never got anywhere with that as the site was too convoluted and confussing as hell.
At least for my simple mind anyway....
Nothing I saw led me to think that you can even advertise an item for sale in the forums....
Apparently there is one (perhaps many).
I guess I just gave up too soon.
Perhaps I should have spent MANY MANY MANY MANY more hours trying to find what I think I was looking for....

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:38 pm 

I don't think anyone disputes that BGG provides a resource that is useful to many people.  I think it is great for looking up a game and seeing if it is any good or not and I like to see some of the pictures of contents.  I have the Fantasy Unlimited pen & paper game listed there for trade or for sale and have sold 6 or 7 copies through BGG so that has worked out for me too.

I think what most people (at least here) have a problem with is that some view BGG and the future RPGG as the "definitive source" for boardgames and RPGs.  Although it is a great casual site, as far as providing collector type information such as print runs, product variations, etc it really is crap.  I don't think I necessarily trust that descriptions or info are necessarily correct either.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:41 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:one time to try to find a place to advertise/sell a board game a while back...
Never got anywhere with that as the site was too convoluted and confussing as hell.

This isn't too difficult to do.  You can either list it on your trade or for sale lists or link an Ebay auction as well.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:49 pm 

I like BGG: I don't go there often, but when I need a photo or look for comments about a game, it's a great source (albeit often from an ubergamer ;) point of view...). Italian publishers, including Nexus Games (the ones with War of the Ring and Wings of War for example, they make me proud!),   have a great opinion of it: one of their favorite quotes is: "My game got a great ranking on BGG" and another is "My game idea/proposal/prototype got a great response on BGG" especially when playtesting during conventions :roll: and attempting to influence me with their great American success...  

I'll comment on RGG as soon as it exists. Till then, I can surely wait. By the way, I consider The Acaeum a truly GREAT, GREAT community of people  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:48 pm 

The general problem with BBG and RPGG presumably, is that you can't trust the oinformation they post to be correct, and once they know something is incorrect they will lie and stonewall people because they are ars'holes and they can't be bothered correcting their mistakes.

It's that simple, and I don't see how some site aiming to profit from publishing erroneous materials and bullsh't can possibly benefit the community.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:39 pm 

I have always used BGG to try to find out if board games are complete. I collect certain genres of hex and counter boardgames and would be lost without that site. It is often so hard to now if counters are missing or not and BGG has many content scans that make it possible to check.

Reading the start up has amazed me - based on my experience with the Wiki. We've been going for about nine months and have over 1,600 listings and over 3,000 images. Not bad, but the bulk of that work has been done by six or seven people with another 12 or so being very occasional contributors. But when you look at the RPGG startup thread, it looks like hundreds are rearing to go to upload content. They'll probably eclipse us in a couple of months.

Does anyone know if they operate by the same rules - i.e. that you need to own the item and scan it yourself and not copy from other sites?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 am 

I'd think/hope they own the items they put up, but from what I have seen in places on BGG, there will be pictures and descriptions very, very 'similar' to items elsewhere on the Interweb...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 am 

If they get anything for contributing pictures I suspect a lot of image stealing.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am 

Contributors to any listing get "Geek Gold", which IMO leads to a lot of image and description stealing as well as repetition and superfluous images.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 pm 

Badmike wrote:Contributors to any listing get "Geek Gold", which IMO leads to a lot of image and description stealing as well as repetition and superfluous images.

It can. To be fair, though, the admins over there do, from time to time, remind users to steer clear of outright theft from other sites. We'll see.

As far as repetition goes: prepare yourselves. There will be endless variations of images from the more easy-to-find products. As Mike says, when you offer incentives for content, but then don't really police the content, you get 88 versions of the B2 cover.

(GeekGold, BTW, is one of the two false economies over there that have really helped to turn the place into a haven for self-important OCD tight-asses. It's pathetic to watch grown men worry about things like avatars and little itty-bitty badges that you have to squint to see even on a gigantic monitor.)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:55 am 

http://rpg.geekdo.com/

It's begun.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:33 pm 

Plaag wrote:http://rpg.geekdo.com/

It's begun.

ShaneG.

Wow.  It could be a full time job just correcting the entries that are already up there....

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:02 pm 

They will never correct the entries that are posted. They don't give a f'ck who posts what so long as you post a picture. They don't even care if it's the same picture as everyone elses. At least some users post their names and pictures. That way when you meet them at a Con' you know what an AH they are before they open their mouth. Still, at least Eryops is all excited about it. That's cool.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:59 pm 

The information looks generic with no more information than Amazon has.

And the information is just so . . . wrong.  Does the back of the 4E DM Screen really have this many typos and other errors?  If a current product like the 4E DM Screen is this frelled-up, what about OOP products?

from the cover:

Keep the Action Moving

This Dungeon's & Dragons Roleplaying Game accessory provides the Dungeon Master with a collection of tables and lists useful during game play, this screen speeds play and keeps the action on track

The heavey cardstock, four-panel Dungeon Master's Screen also kereps players from seeing what's coming up in the adventure--use it to hide your encounters, maps, miniatures, and even dice rolls from prying eyes!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:01 pm 

. wrote:They don't give a f'ck who posts what so long as you post a picture. They don't even care if it's the same picture as everyone elses. At least some users post their names and pictures. That way when you meet them at a Con' you know what an AH they are before they open their mouth. Still, at least Eryops is all excited about it. That's cool.

Right little hive of positivity about the hobby in general we are tonight... :)
The site co-ordinators and contributors obviously care about something and even presuming that 100% of them only give a damn about their own "score" you'll still have to convince me that what's being produced is totally worthless and cannot be "rescued" in any way.

. wrote:They will never correct the entries that are posted.

Tell you what. You pick four corrections to make to their site and I'll pick four for the Acaeum's listings and we'll see how many have been amended online within the week... fair enough?

d.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:03 pm 

. wrote:They will never correct the entries that are posted. They don't give a f'ck who posts what so long as you post a picture. They don't even care if it's the same picture as everyone elses. .

Yeh.  Apparantly you get rewarded for making an item submission or uploading a scan, but not for correcting an item, or even for making sure the item info is correct. So the accuracy is abysmal, as a reference this this is absolutely horrendous.  I was able to log on and make a couple dozen corrections to entries OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, and some more after consulting either the module at hand or Heroic Worlds.  Like I said, it could be a full time job for anyone willing to take the time.

For example, check how often stuff like publisher, page number, size, etc are left off descriptions.  IMO, that means either the lister is simply stealing the image from somewhere and posting it to get a reward, or is too fucking lazy to even open the thing to make the listing correct.

Notes about items (for example, if an item has a map or handout) are non-existant.  Mostly because you don't get rewarded for saying so.

This could actually be quite a nice reference place in about 10 years or so after all the hastily slopped up entries are finally corrected by knowledgable sources.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

PreviousNext