Castles & Crusades printings
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 pm 

I wonder if the C&C hardcovers Player's Handbook and Monsters & Treasures have any tricks to identifying their printings...

I picked up both recently... neither are say they are 2nd or later prints, so I assume they are firsts?

If so, are first print C&C books hard-to-find or rare?

BTW, I'm glad to own them and will be playing a game with my girls verrrryy soon  :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:03 am 

Its very easy.

PHB -- look at the spine. If the # says TLG8010 it is 1st print. If it says TLG80102 it is 2nd. If it says TLG80103 it is third. The 4th print will be dramatically different cover-wise.

M&T is similar. If it has TLGXXXX it is a 1st print. If it says TLGXXXX2 it is 2nd. The 3rd print of M&T has a green cover and also has TLGXXXX3. In this case, for M&T, XXXX is 8011.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:40 am 

As far as I know, None of the Print Runs of those books are rare and I do not think that there is anything printed for C&C that is actually rare.....
With the obvious exception of the first White Box Sets, which were limited to 300 copies.
As for uncommon, perhaps some of the Castle Zagyg Stuff (The CZ: Upper Levels for instance) and some of the earlier adventure modules are tuff to find now.

Of course the first 300 White Box Sets were followed up by another 1000 copies of the same white box set (I obtained 2 of them, and gave one to my oldest grandson).

You can still get the Personalized Leatherette Edition PHB and M&T directly from the TLG Web Site, and you can even order the new CKG Personalized too.

The Third Print M&Ts are available now (As stated above, the Green Books) and soon the long awaited Castle Keepers Guide, and Of Gods and Monsters will be there, with the new PHB available for Pre-Order now.

I started the grandkids playing C&C about a year ago, and we are having loads of fun with it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 am 

and I do not think that there is anything printed for C&C that is actually rare.....

Well, I guess that depends on what one means by rare or at least, obscurity. The GenCon printings of certain books (notably Castle Zagyg works [and no, I have not forgotten to do the "complete list of differences]) are pretty difficult to find seeing as those unsold were destroyed (usually used as packing material.) Also, Crusader #1 seems to be difficult to find and then suddenly 2 will pop up on Dragonsfoot.... and, if we go just a little from printed C&C materials, then the C&C promo prototype miniatures are rare. Were not many made in total and only 4 figures comprise the set -- hell, I was at the GenCon they debuted, working in the TLG booth, and I don't have them. :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:42 am 

What company did the Castles & Crusades miniatures?  I seem to recall seeing them somewhere.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:31 pm 

Mars wrote:What company did the Castles & Crusades miniatures?  I seem to recall seeing them somewhere.

According to one of my DCC mini packages, production was by Iron Wind Metals.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:23 pm 

Mars wrote:What company did the Castles & Crusades miniatures?  I seem to recall seeing them somewhere.

I could not remember what company did them, so I asked Steve Chenault. He said this (cut and pasted from a message):

well technically we made them

so they are manufactured by TLG

your not going to find any except on ebay. they were never sold into distribution

i have the greens so we will make the[m] eventually

I do think they had somebody do the sculpting, but I don't recall who.

I'm trying to wrack my brain.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:41 pm 

I found this website that lists the original drawings and the greens:

http://www.satyrsculptingstudio.com/pag ... 005-q4.htm

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:34 pm 

Mars wrote:I found this website that lists the original drawings and the greens:

http://www.satyrsculptingstudio.com/pag ... 005-q4.htm

THANKS FOR THE LINK!
Those are just cool as heck. 8O  :!:
Wish I had a set or two. :(

Ummmnnnnn...... any hope for that in the furture? :)
Perhaps a second edition make?

FWIW: When we had our Reaper Factory Tour (Through the North Texas RPG CON)  they said that they often cast minis and other small items through special orders all the time.
Short runs, large runs, and everything in between.  :!:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM