Monsters! Monsters! Print Info
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:16 am 

Mars wrote:The first page looks like it was taken from the FBI second edition.

It then has "second" crossed out and "photocopy 1998" handwritten in.

There is also an additional line written in under the original copyright that says "copyright 1998 by Ken St. Andre".

This copy is not directly signed but you can see that the original version that was photocopied was signed and numbered.  There are traces of the "#" and bits of a number (although tough to make out which one - maybe 1 or 2) just above the picture below the "Flying Buffalo Inc" line.  And in the top right corner there is a partially faded photocopy of a dedication and signature.  Its tough to make out what it says but it you can see the initial "For" and "Ken St Andre" siganture.

I didn't get this one directly from Ken.  I traded a friend for it and I think he purchased it off of Ebay.

You've more or less described my copy to a Tee.  On mine the number is hard to make out, but if you look you can see it is #6.  The dedication is also in the upper right and hard to make out, but eventually you can see "For Mark" then something about a "sword..." with a small hand drawn sword, and then Ken's signature.  Also none of this is directly signed as yours, but photocopied.  I'll put a scan up somewhere.

I am wondering about this and will probably ask KStA, but my impression was he offered this as a "limited" run of around 50 copies back in2002.  So did he print off 50 copies and dedicate each one, or just print off 50 copies of an original that already contained a dedication?  It is strange that our copies are not signed directly, implying they are later copies from this run, or even something else entirely.

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm 

Yes your copy sounds the same as mine except you might be able to make out a little bit more.

As a guess, I think the dedication and numbering could have been on the old FBI version that was the original source of the photocopy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 pm 

Mars wrote:It then has "second" crossed out and "photocopy 1998" handwritten in.

There is also an additional line written in under the original copyright that says "copyright 1998 by Ken St. Andre"..

I have one of the real (Signed & numbered) Photo copied ones somewhere around here. Trollgod (Ken) sold a limited number of these to people on his mailing list. They were $10. If yours isn't signed and numbered then more than likely someone copied it from one of those. I don't know how many he sold but it was very limited.
John

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 am 

Mars wrote:
As a guess, the relationship probably ended because M!M! didn't sell well or well enough so Metagaming dropped it.  Since FBI was doing well with his other items, a more cost effective printing was made through them.

FBI seems like a more natural company to sell M!M! since it is stated as being a streamlined and perverse variant of Tunnels & Trolls.  It seemed a bit strange that two companies where selling the same basic set of rules by the same author.

I remember reading something about this awhile back - and, no, I can't recollect where, alas. Basically, Ken was unhappy with the way SJ had edited M!M! and was not happy with the final product. If I find the reference I'll post it.

Previous