Why is WEG d6 Star Wars rpg relatively worthless?
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 425
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Last Visit: Apr 12, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 pm 
 

While searching eBay last night, I noticed that the West End Games version (i.e., the d6 version) of the Star Wars rpg does not sell well at all. There are excellent condition rulebooks that don't sell for $2 + reasonable shipping. Ditto for many of the supplements. I find this strange, given how popular the game seemed to be (to me, anyway) back in the day.

Why don't these sell well? Clearly, supply exceeds demand, but I'm looking for more insight than that.

Did the back-in-the-day popularity just not translate to popularity today?

Is it that lots of non-gamers (but still Star Wars collectors) bought copies, and so the sales-to-play ratio was skewed?

Is it that the folks who would otherwise want to buy the WEG stuff are perfectly happy with the WotC offering?

Is it that the SW rpg just hasn't hit its stride yet in terms of the rpg collectors market? It's about 15 years younger than D&D, so perhaps the would-be-collectors haven't quite reached the right point on the disposable income scale, nor the point where nostalgia kicks in?

Something different?


Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Mar 22, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:36 pm 
 

I think many people who want the game have the game, and there just is not a strong market for this, in any version, whether WEG or the d20 double crap.


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6236
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 12, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 pm 
 

It was crap.


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3339
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 12, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:05 pm 
 

. wrote:It was crap.


:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Without even seen the item, I was guessing that!


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7949
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Apr 11, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:42 pm 
 

Guy Fullerton wrote:While searching eBay last night, I noticed that the West End Games version (i.e., the d6 version) of the Star Wars rpg does not sell well at all. There are excellent condition rulebooks that don't sell for $2 + reasonable shipping. Ditto for many of the supplements. I find this strange, given how popular the game seemed to be (to me, anyway) back in the day.

Why don't these sell well? Clearly, supply exceeds demand, but I'm looking for more insight than that.

Did the back-in-the-day popularity just not translate to popularity today?

Is it that lots of non-gamers (but still Star Wars collectors) bought copies, and so the sales-to-play ratio was skewed?

Is it that the folks who would otherwise want to buy the WEG stuff are perfectly happy with the WotC offering?

Is it that the SW rpg just hasn't hit its stride yet in terms of the rpg collectors market? It's about 15 years younger than D&D, so perhaps the would-be-collectors haven't quite reached the right point on the disposable income scale, nor the point where nostalgia kicks in?

Something different?


Some of the items (Tramp Freighters or Stock Ships, for example) used to go for quite a bit....and can still get a couple more times than cover price.  I think the newer version of the Star Wars RPG took a lot of the wind out of the sails of the older Star Wars RPG, I noticed prices started dropping a bit as soon as the reprints came out for that edition.

A few items are still harder to find for the dedicated collector and go for decent prices...the aforementioned Stock Ships, a few of the later Adventure Journals, Alien Encounters, the Fantastic technology books, one book on special forces or something similar, all go for $25-$50 range.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2332
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2017
Location: Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 pm 
 

WEG had first edition Star Wars, then a second edition, and then a second revised edition.  Three editions makes for a lot of potentially incompatible material.  I don't know if any were underprinted; WEG had the license for quite a while.

Some of the books are tied pretty tightly into the Star Wars Universe, so they aren't useful in a different science-fiction setting.  Some of the books are for the LARP.  Still others are for the miniatures.  Unless you are a completist, you can skip to the gaming category that you like and ignore the other books.

However, some of the books are more generic, and those get a higher price --- books about aliens, bounty hunters, pirates, spaceports, bars, etc.  I don't know if the collected aliens and collected planets books are worth more than the individual books.

The rarer/harder-to-find items are the boxed sets (Lords of the Expanse, The Darkstryder Campaign, etc.) and miniatures (boxed and otherwise).

Here's a site with a list of the WEG books.  A lot more titles exist than you may think . . .

. . . http://www.rancorpit.com/WestEndGamesBooks.html

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6236
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Apr 12, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:04 pm 
 

If you've got some wallpaper paste too, you can make sith and yoda masks from paper mache. :D


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1293
Joined: Nov 24, 2002
Last Visit: Apr 05, 2021
Location: Brescia, Italy

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:37 pm 
 

JohnGaunt wrote:Here's a site with a list of the WEG books.  A lot more titles exist than you may think . . .

. . . http://www.rancorpit.com/WestEndGamesBooks.html


Great site, bookmarked already.

About the value of Star Wars D6 books, it could be they are not worth much - especially the core rulebooks - because they printed a lot of copies and so they are amazingly easy to find. Not everything is easy to find, but much is indeed. I like the Star Wars D6 and I have put aside some books for my groups (especially the various Galaxy Guides) and I never warmed to the new version of the game, despite being in Italian too.

  


Active Collector

Posts: 93
Joined: Apr 26, 2008
Last Visit: Jul 19, 2009
Location: Seattle

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:13 pm 
 

Alexander1968 wrote:About the value of Star Wars D6 books, it could be they are not worth much - especially the core rulebooks - because they printed a lot of copies and so they are amazingly easy to find.

This is very true. Copies of the core books often show up in the $1 bin at the local Half Price Books in Seattle. I've seen them on multiple occasions (but only picked them up once).

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 pm 
 

When I first saw the West End Games version of the Star Wars RPG in our local game store I said, "Wow! Exactly 10 years too late!"

It was also, possibly, exactly 10 years too early.

Kids inclined to play this RPG (and I am assuming that most of the players were under 15) were likely to buy the D20 version which was actually in the stores after the second trilogy of films came out.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6070
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Mar 29, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:48 pm 
 

I think it is cheap because most books had a high print run.  In a reference to a study in 1999, WEG Star Wars was ranked as the 3rd most played RPG with a market share of 20% or so.  Its not D&D but that is still a large market with lots of copies and books produced.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:21 am 
 

Mars wrote:I think it is cheap because most books had a high print run.  In a reference to a study in 1999, WEG Star Wars was ranked as the 3rd most played RPG with a market share of 20% or so.  Its not D&D but that is still a large market with lots of copies and books produced.


Where did the rankings come from?

20% of the market sounds too high.  Was it 20% of the non-D&D market?

I'm thinking that the average Star Wars RPG player probably played for a very short time after getting the books for Christmas.

I've never heard of a nostalgic former Star Wars RPG player.   :scratch:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1