[AD&D] Review: Black Blade: The Secret of Smuggler's Cov
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:01 pm 

Yeah but no DM would tell the players those stats.  So when they attack they can only assume those are more powerful Kobolds.

I'd think you may want to stay away from Pathfinder RPG, because they've added to and changed some of the 3.5 rules.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:38 am 

Jon, Allan, and the whole team at Black Blade Publishing, congratulations for producing a wonderful module. :D

As others have mentioned, the production values are outstanding:  the mono cover and the blue and white maps had me smiling before I read the adventure.

Unlike the negative review above, I was thrilled by the lack of stat blocks, and didn't blink once throughout the entire module.  Story, not stats, should drive the adventure, and the lack of burdensome, extraneous material was refreshing.

What makes an AD&D module wonderful is that it leaves enough blank canvas--a rough sketch--for the DM to play around and add their personal touch.  This inherent flexibility is why AD&D modules are so fondly remembered and played repeatedly.  Moreover, if the adventure is good, the DM is creating and adding to the adventure as he reads:  I found myself brimming with ideas.  

The ability to inspire creativity is the sign of a very good module, and Black Blade's, The Secret of Smuggler's Cove, checks every box.  I could run or play this module tomorrow with little or no time to prepare and have a blast. 8)

I'm looking forward to Black Blade's release of DCC #32 The Golden Palace of Zahadran, and everything else that follows.  Keep up the excellent work and, once again, congratulations!  

Thanks for sending my copies tacojon, they arrived in perfect condition.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:21 am 

....swack attack and dumpster dive....

:lol: Awesome.
Sounds like some fearsome Kobolds....

Rules light is the way My games are run.
And most of the games I have playd in over the years were (are) the same way too.

My two coppers:
In any Edition the rules are not the game.
The story is the game.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Previous