Type of binding on books in 1985 Stormbringer boxed set?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:44 am 

For any of you with the 2nd edition Stormbringer boxed set from 1985, how are the three separate rule books bound? I presume they're saddle-stitched, but I haven't found confirmation of that on the usual sites.

Thanks!

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 am 

This thread had extensive discussion on the different versions of the Stormbringer boxed set:

viewtopic.php?t=7329&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:10 am 

Unfortunately, I don't think we got into a discussion of bindings on the 2nd edition in that thread.

However, from the page counts of the various booklets (24, 32, and 64), I'd wager that they were saddle-stitched/staple-bound.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:52 am 

That would be consistent with Chaosium's CoC books of that era, but I don't think I have a boxed Stormbringer to compare to.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:42 pm 

grodog wrote:That would be consistent with Chaosium's CoC books of that era, but I don't think I have a boxed Stormbringer to compare to.

It would be.  It would also make sense for a trio of stapled books to be cheaper to produce than a single square-bound one, and I seem to recall Greg stating that a number of changes to boxed sets during that period were often made in order to keep production costs down.  (If I'm remembering incorrectly on that point, somebody please correct me.)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:07 pm 

Yeah, Greg talks about such changes here:
viewtopic.php?t=4109&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stafford&start=40

Though for the 1 book vs. 3 smaller books, he says 1 is cheaper than 3, but given that 3 smaller books was actually the later case (and supposedly cheaper case), it's possible he got some details wrong in that post.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/