Dungeon + Poly 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
All 3 19%       19%  [ 7 ]
None of these 3 58%       58%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 36

Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:43 pm 

I ticked complete runs for Dungeon and Ploy (I don't count the membership books as being part of the magazine run), I still need quite a few Dragons under 50.. no big rush for these, more than enough other magazines to collect...

..issue 31.. dam it.. :p

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm 

faro wrote:A rarely employed tactic - can only think of a few others like Concepts (non-TSR) that adopted the approach, unfortunately.

Who else ticked "all three" in the poll; and any hints on trans-dimensional storage solutions for A&Es and suchlike? ;)

I can only think of that 1 copy of that (dam it again)..

A&E collecting is a whole new set of problems.. the shear mass of it more than anything else.. eek...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 pm 

I have no idea what the question is.
So I guessed it was something like "which ones do you have complete sets of?" or something like that.
I went for Dragon and Dungeon (although admittedly both are PDF).

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:15 pm 

@. OP: "(in print)" ;)

Heh... sorry for the digression from the question; friendly ribbing is somewhat inevitable when clicking onto a thread entitled "the magazines" to find that only counts Dungeon, Dragon & Poly.
No Poly PDF, eh?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:24 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:A&E collecting is a whole new set of problems.. the shear mass of it more than anything else.. eek...

Rather glad I wasn't in the room photographing a stack of some of those when that fell down.
(*recycles old pic for fun*)

Yeah, a definite plus for older granite-built houses with thick wooden beams. *jk*

Anyone for a Dragon, Dungeon or Poly balancing act to show how those might compare in dead tree format? :D

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 pm 

yes a nice start to the A&E collection that;)

I was going to mention, the french, japanese, uk (and probably a couple more) versions of Dragon .. or maybe the UK and German issues of Polyhedron, or even the special prints of the Dungeon Magazine.. but then it just starts to get silly..

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:yes a nice start to the A&E collection that;)

Had better resist the temptation to dig out all those here and stack in a single pile as that might reach critical mass, heh... And still that's a long way short of your numbers.
Yeah, 'zine storage is fun even without anything resembling complete runs of Dragons, Dungeons and Polys.

beasterbrook wrote:I was going to mention, the french, japanese, uk (and probably a couple more) versions of Dragon .. or maybe the UK and German issues of Polyhedron, or even the special prints of the Dungeon Magazine.. but then it just starts to get silly..

Mhmm.... true enough. I presume the OP poll refers to "US editions" only. :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:58 pm 

Complete set of Dungeon. Dragon is going to be too costly - especially the low #'s.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:06 pm 

I have been slowly collecting all three for a long time, but my collections are far from complete. The problem is the Australian market is so small. All three generally fetch far higher prices here than in the US where you can get piles of newer issues for next to nothing.

My most complete is Dungeon - from 1 to 60, I am just lacking 3,4 and 5. Someone put these issues in the classifieds recently as part of a lot - but someone here beat me in with an offer  :evil:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:07 am 

faro wrote:#31 followed #30, sorry! Was something of an urban legend at university but it does actually exist.

do you have a copy? I've never seen or heard of it before and #30 seems pretty final, especially when you read the editorial of GM Pubs 1.
If we count pdfs, Dungeon 1~118, WD 1~50 and now a couple of TS! mags... :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:29 am 

This is what I've got:

Dragon 1 - 154
Dungeon 1 - 24
Imagine 1 - 30
WD 1 - 100
TS 1 - 12

...and some fanzines:

Beholder 1 - 25 ,+ TNB 25-28
Trollcrusher 7 - 28
Underworld Oracle 1 - 6 (anyone got a spare #7?)

Plus all the JG periodicals, missing Dungeoneer #4

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 am 

A&E is a bitch to digitize also.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 pm 

It would have been nice to have an option to say "I don't collect magazines" and "Other than rares (i.e. #1s) I don't collect any". I wonder how that would have affected the "None of these 3" option which I defaulted to?

(I have to assume that most who answered 'None...' are not actively seeking issues, but are slowly collecting them regardless)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:34 pm 

. wrote:A&E is a bitch to digitize also.

*lol*. Thanks for the smile, Ian.
Yeah, especially if find someone else has already done so after 50,000 pages worth of RSI.

otherworld wrote:Beholder 1 - 25 ,+ TNB 25-28

26-29?
Smart move on the WDs, btw, Richard, and 'grats on finally picking up #9. (Did Al manage to pick up his missing #1?).

otherworld wrote:Underworld Oracle 1 - 6 (anyone got a spare #7?)

Very, very difficult issue, sorry, and likely to have much competition given the 'zine is well known/respected.

ashmire13 wrote:do you have a copy? I've never seen or heard of it before and #30 seems pretty final, especially when you read the editorial of GM Pubs 1.

The editorial team wasn't exactly chuffed about TSR killing off Imagine and the manner in which that was carried out.
Take in the context of EGG's comments about staff doing what they're paid to do - e.g. giving positive reviews to TSR product - vs. Don Turnbull permitting people to have an opinion of their own to at least some degree. Kinda like the route GW was already heading down at that point in time...

Nope; still on the wish list and if anyone tries to convince someone who does have a copy that it's worth the usual ten bucks despite being "much shorter than usual" I'll be having friendly words with them. ;)

ashmire13 wrote:If we count pdfs, Dungeon 1~118, WD 1~50 and now a couple of TS! mags... :)

Dungeon pdfs?

Eryops wrote:(I have to assume that most who answered 'None...' are not actively seeking issues, but are slowly collecting them regardless)

Reminds me of an auction for 100+ issues of WD from the low 100s up which I won for around £1 and paid the seller to take them to a charity shop rather than mailing them over.
Having said that I'll admit there are a few later Dungeons/Dragons that I do still need to be reading...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:42 pm 

If we count PDFs, Dungeon 1-150, Dragon 1 through whatever (340?), TS!1-12, GM1-5, Imagine 1-31, WD1-96, the list just goes on. Practically every single item ever published by TSR is available illegally for download on the internet, everything for Basic and 1E on a single website, and when you search torrents I'm sure the amount of material is endless. Personally, I only have one PC, and I can't run the risk of what you might happen if you click a zip or rar file off of torrent, even with the most up to date antivirus, so I stay well clear. But Google has it all if anyone wants to take the risk.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:14 pm 

faro wrote:  ashmire13 wrote:
 do you have a copy? I've never seen or heard of it before and #30 seems pretty final, especially when you read the editorial of GM Pubs 1.

The editorial team wasn't exactly chuffed about TSR killing off Imagine and the manner in which that was carried out.
Take in the context of EGG's comments about staff doing what they're paid to do - e.g. giving positive reviews to TSR product - vs. Don Turnbull permitting people to have an opinion of their own to at least some degree. Kinda like the route GW was already heading down at that point in time...

Nope; still on the wish list and if anyone tries to convince someone who does have a copy that it's worth the usual ten bucks despite being "much shorter than usual" I'll be having friendly words with them.  

ashmire13 wrote:
 If we count pdfs, Dungeon 1~118, WD 1~50 and now a couple of TS! mags...  

Dungeon pdfs?

So is #31 real? Any pics ever been seen?? I'd love to read it, even if not own it.
Dungeons pdfs, may (or may not) be available....   8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm 

. wrote:If we count PDFs, Dungeon 1-150, Dragon 1 through whatever (340?), TS!1-12, GM1-5, Imagine 1-31.

Imagine 31? Do you have a pdf copy to for hire??  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:20 pm 

Unless someone shows otherwise, I'll assume that the Special Edition is being counted as 31.

PreviousNext