Interesting news from Goodman Games about 3.5 DCC pdfs
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 pm 

Got this in an email from Goodman Games yesterday:

Our 3.5 products are available again! Well, some of them are, and the rest are coming. Recent changes to the 4E license (the GSL, for those of you who follow it) have allowed us to re-release our third edition products with certain revisions. We've begun the slow process of revising prior products to make them compatible. In the past week we made the first wave of revised 3.5 PDF's available! This includes roughly the first dozen Dungeon Crawl Classics as well as our Judges Guild adventures. We'll be releasing the rest slowly over time as we revise the original files.

I can't find any news about any 4E license changes, and I know this is 3rd edition news which many here will not care about, but hey, I warned ya in the thread title. :-P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:40 pm 

This:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20090302

...mentions the removal of section 6, which seems relevant. I have no insight as to why Goodman Games would need to revise their existing OGL products before making them available again. (But that may be made clear by the latest GSL, which I haven't read.)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:49 pm 

Any idea if the revised adventures will be available in print form or just as PDFs?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm 

Any idea if there is any difference between the products at all?
The two PDFs of DCC#1, old and new, appear to be identical in every way, right down to the fine print in the OGL license. Curious to know what the differences are, or whether they are exactly the same and GG are just advising people that they are available again.

The comment about amending things appears spurious, and it would be good if GG could tell us what the implications are, what changes are made, and whether or not is just am legal thing they've got to say, that doesn't actually amend the product in any way. At the moment it seems like a smoke screen to encourage people to spend money on their products.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:34 am 

Guy Fullerton wrote:I have no insight as to why Goodman Games would need to revise their existing OGL products before making them available again. (But that may be made clear by the latest GSL, which I haven't read.)

I believe they have to remove the d20 logo that was on the DCCs. Other than that, I'm not sure if they have to do anything. If there is more, I imagine it would be mostly cosmetic (changing a few words here and there, and making sure the final product is OGL rather than d20-esque).

EDIT: After actually looking at a DCC, I believe that the "Requires the use of the D&D PHB..." statement also needs to be removed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:54 am 

The current files up on RPG Now still contain both of those references.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:56 pm 

. wrote:The current files up on RPG Now still contain both of those references.

Huh. Then I have no idea what they needed to change. Maybe nothing...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:24 pm 

Eryops wrote:Huh. Then I have no idea what they needed to change. Maybe nothing...

Or maybe RPGNow just have the wrong files up.
They have about twenty odd up at the moment.