ICE MERP discussion thread
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:07 pm 

...I just looked at some recent sales values for MERP, and my value estimation above is almost certainly too high for today's market.

The low end stuff is slanted toward the $10 end of the range, and the middle range stuff is slanted toward $25. It's too hard to judge the high-end stuff; there wasn't enough of them on eBay to get a good sense. A relative flood of Ardor, but not many of the other higher-end items.

'course if you have a lot of stuff in shrink, that might make up for it.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:44 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Normally I say break it up, but ebay has been crazy with the auction lots lately. Anyone following the merp auctions on ebay?

If you know what you want for them you might consider offering them for sale here or DF or RPGmarketplace with buyouts (since there is no fees).

Actually, I have been monitoring prices on the Acaeum Wiki auction tracker (partly to help grubbiv iron out bugs).

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Prices:MERP

There is heaps of overpriced store stuff on Ebay - I doubt they are selling much as auctions seem to be going for less than half the average store price.

The second edition campaign items, Umbar, Ardor, and the boardgames seem to be maintaining the highest prices.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:15 pm 

GENERALLY speaking, the parts will net more than the lot, unless you get lucky and find a couple collectors who, at that moment, are greatly aided by the convenience of a lot being available.

In this case, based on what you've said, I think I agree with Jason - figure out a price for the lot and see what happens for a bit on some auction site.  If no one bites, you can always split it up later.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:54 pm 

I think that is what I'll do. Thanks, guys.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:41 pm 

I recently read a review of the 1984 8100 MERP boxed set that mentioned the inclusion of "an errata sheet" in the set. My set doesn't include one (but I bought it second-hand many years after release); does yours include an errata sheet?

Here's what the 1984 version of that boxed set looks like:

Guy Fullerton

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:17 am 

I've been surprised lately how much lower MERP are going for compared to store prices. Check out this difference:

Halls of the Elven-King - auction, winning bid $5.50

Halls of the Elven-King - store price, $135.99

The last one I saw in Australia went for $40 to $50.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:02 am 

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22halls+of+the+elven+king%22 shows some between $18-25 USD where one oddball has it listed for $180.

Just a quick search shows that the $136 seller is quite possibly out of his mind  :lol:

I looked through some of his other items, and he's got prices TWICE as high as TROLLANDTOAD at their retail website (Gorgoroth for example).

As with all my posts....just my 2 cents  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm 

I got a good reading copy of Theives of Tharbad last night for $5.98....with the maps this time.

Did I do OK?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 pm 

Yeah $6 is a good price. That's about the low-end ebay price, but you'd have to pay shipping on top of that. And there are stretches when it will sell for $20. (Though not lately.)

Guy Fullerton

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:46 am 

Was looking on Ebay for the ICE MERP Poster Map, but came across these two from 1970. Cool looking posters:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:32 pm 

ICE MERP Lonely Mountain - hefty price though

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:17 am 

I've got about ten MERP auctions ending in about 7 hours or so- check the classifieds section for my link. I'm ericthecleric2009 on ebay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:47 pm 

Aside from the Acaeum Wiki mentioned above, are there any other 3rd party value pages around? The only one I could come up with is this guy's evaluation of his collection, but I have no clue where he gets his price info, nor how current the info is.

CLICK  ME!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:24 pm 

Those MERP values are not accurate, at least not across the board. Most aren't accurate even within one significant digit.

Lords/Creatures/Treasures of Middle Earth, for example, are probably worth only $10-15 on a good day, not $40.

I haven't seen an Ardor go for $150 in a long time, and I can't *ever* recall seeing 1st ed Moria going for $85. (Moria goes for $20-30 on a good day.)

Several of his 2nd edition MERP items appear to be under-valued.

That page looks pretty old on many fronts (it refers to the dead Other Hands web site), and probably reflects prices from more like 5-10 years ago.

Guy Fullerton

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 am 

Moria - Buy-It-Now - around $20 with shipping

Hole punched but otherwise good.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:15 am 

SimperingToad wrote:Aside from the Acaeum Wiki mentioned above, are there any other 3rd party value pages around? The only one I could come up with is this guy's evaluation of his collection, but I have no clue where he gets his price info, nor how current the info is.

CLICK  ME!

I have been doing the MERP valuations on the Wiki for the past three months. It is still being fine tuned by grubbiv, and this exercise is helping smooth out any bugs.

The prices are based on monitoring actual auctions. I still need to correlate the Wiki listings with the Auction Tracker, but when it is all done, the average price will appear on each MERP item page and if you click on it you will be able to see the actual sales. You can do this now by clicking on the number in the 'sales' column on the MERP price page:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Prices:MERP

Guy is spot on with his estimates. These match sales figures quite closely. I think a few years ago there was a surge in interest in the MERP with the LoTR movies but this has dropped off. Many Sellers have store listings of MERP that are way over-priced. If you are patient, you can get most items at auction much cheaper.

PreviousNext