ICE MERP discussion thread
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:18 pm 

I have a question about the individual map releases that came with MERP.

The old valuation site (long since vanished) and the icewebring site both list these maps but have no product details. The items that seem to be hard to find are:

1st Edition:

2100 Middle-earth poster map (flat)

2100A Middle-earth poster map (folded)

4000 Northwestern Middle-earth map set OR Campaign Atlas????

2nd Edition:

2008 MERP Poster maps

2024 Lord of the Rings Poster Map

Now I know shaggymatt just sold two second edition items. I was the second highest bidder on both. Unfortunately they closed at 5:30am my time and I will not get up at that ungodly hour unless i am hyper-desperate to make the purchase.

the 2008 poster nap set in triangular box agrees with item 2008 above:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0421209676

but the single map in a box was listed with the number 2004, rather than 2024:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Anyway, were those two boxes just sold the only way 2nd edition maps were individually released?

Also does anyone know anything about the 1st edition products listed above? How they were released, format, etc?

I have long wanted to clarify this.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 pm 

Regarding the 2100 vs 2100A 1st edition maps, I've been unable to visually confirm details about those. I've been watching MERP stuff on ebay for the last 3-4 years, with another 1-2 year observation period several years prior to that, and I don't recall seeing copies available with appropriate packaging.

However, there is a relevant anecdote here:
about893-0-asc-40.html

2100A is a product code used as late as 1992, and possibly later. Take a look at the product list scans for River Running or any other 1992 era products on my MERP printing & edition reference site:
http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/Print ... rence.html

If you look at the product lists for the early products (starting in 1982), they only reference 2100, and it's listed as shipped in a mailing tube.

The 2100 tubed vs. 2100A folded distinction is corroborated by the catalog pages (specifically page 8) for the "1984 Black Title" version of the 8000 MERP rulebook. (Scan available from the aforementioned site.) There are probably more clues in the various other catalog page scans.

Regarding 4000, it's supposed to be a combination of 4001 and 4002, but you probably knew that already. (I think that info is on icewebring.com.) I haven't seen a sealed copy of that to confirm.

I don't collect 2nd edition MERP stuff, so I'm probably not the best person to comment on the 2024 vs 2004 thing, but product #2004 is already in use by the 2nd edition combat screen, so I imagine it's a typo in the auction listing OR a printing error on the map packaging.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:55 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:2100A is a product code used as late as 1992, and possibly later. Take a look at the product list scans for River Running or any other 1992 era products on my MERP printing & edition reference site:
http://homepage.mac.com/guyf/MERP/Print ... rence.html

Absolutely Brilliant site!!

I will dig out some of my pieces to see if I can help with your questions.  I also think I have a different variation Lorien as well (goes off to check).

Guy Fullerton wrote:..... but product #2004 is already in use by the 2nd edition combat screen, so I imagine it's a typo in the auction listing OR a printing error on the map packaging.

Agree with that.

HermitFromPluto  Sorry I have never seen 2100 and 2100A falt/folded map sets on ebay.  Now, just not seeing them doesn't mean they don't exist, but it makes them much less likely to exists (given certain parameters anyway :))

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:35 pm 

slightly off topic, but looking for advice.

I've the chance at a stack of MERP items but I just have no clue about what is rare/valuable - any pointers appreciated greatly.

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm 

gyg wrote:slightly off topic, but looking for advice.

I've the chance at a stack of MERP items but I just have no clue about what is rare/valuable - any pointers appreciated greatly.

Just off the top of my head I would recommend the following if you are looking for top values.  They traditionally sell for more than the other 1st edition MERP items.

Umbar
Ardor
Gorgoroth
Grey Mountains
Dunland
Trolls of the Misty Mountains

The Fortresses of Middle-Earth (Calenhad, Elven Halls, Teeth of Mordor, Weathertop) usually do well.

Pretty much anything 2nd Edition is a good idea to pick up but especially:
Lake Town
Dol Guldur
Northern Waste
The Shire

I don't keep track of MERP stuff like I used to so some of these may not have the interest that they did in the past.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:36 pm 

gyg wrote:slightly off topic, but looking for advice.

Gyg, as long as the color maps are present (some attached, some not) in the items they are supposed to be in, I would go for it no matter what. Especially Grey Mountains, Umbar, Ardor, and of the "big" Merp 2E books.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm 

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess the 2100 / 2100A enigma may be one of these details that may prove impossible to ever solve. I mean, who would have bought a map back then and kept it folded as they bought it? Perhaps one should hunt for old store stock photos.

Just wondering, did the first edition map have the number 2100 printed on it - and did this differentiate it in any way from maps that were included in other supplements?

Concerning rarity, I would agree with kingpfpain's account. Umbars and Ardors still seem to be the premier items. For second edition 'The Shire' seems to be the rare one. One turned up in an obscure Aussie lot recently and went for around $85.

That asp.merp.com site that disappeared ages ago was a great site as it has an auction tracker. We could now replicate that on the wiki and get some current average valuations. I may give that a try after my thesis is done.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:

2nd Edition:

2008 MERP Poster maps

the 2008 poster nap set in triangular box agrees with item 2008 above:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

BTW, I have a beautiful set of the #2008 maps still in the triangular box...they have been taken out and looked at a couple of times since I bought them about 10 years ago.  I'm tired of tripping over this box all the damn time and I'm not going to put them up on my wall...anyone want the set for $50 plus shipping? Just remember that the cost of buying a nice tube to hold the box and maps will be added to shipping so that may be costly (especially overseas....)

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:54 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I guess the 2100 / 2100A enigma may be one of these details that may prove impossible to ever solve. ... Just wondering, did the first edition map have the number 2100 printed on it - and did this differentiate it in any way from maps that were included in other supplements?

Perhaps. To partially answer that question, and also add to the potential for confusion, there are a number of variations of the map detailed here:
http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/vi ... 2d267f9367

Guy Fullerton

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:05 pm 

Badmike wrote:
BTW, I have a beautiful set of the #2008 maps still in the triangular box...they have been taken out and looked at a couple of times since I bought them about 10 years ago.  I'm tired of tripping over this box all the damn time and I'm not going to put them up on my wall...anyone want the set for $50 plus shipping? Just remember that the cost of buying a nice tube to hold the box and maps will be added to shipping so that may be costly (especially overseas....)

Mike B.

I am interested PM'ed you!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:07 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote:Perhaps. To partially answer that question, and also add to the potential for confusion, there are a number of variations of the map detailed here:
http://www.tomeoftreasures.com/forum/vi ... 2d267f9367

Yeah, that's some great sleuthing by the ToT guys. Not a complete answer, but a big part of the puzzle.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:56 pm 

A question this time about the Hobbit Adventure Game, ICE stock# 2222

I am just curious to compare the number of tokens with someone else who has the set. All the contents of this set are specified in number except for the small and large black and yellow tokens.

My set has:

Black large (7 tokens)
Black small (16 tokens)
Yellow large (10 tokens)
Yellow small (26 tokens)

Curious to see if the numbers are standard or if they vary between sets.

I have put this game on the Acaeum wiki:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/The_Hobbit_ ... _Boardgame

Incidentally, I have all five ICE MERP board games up now - see at the bottom of the third gallery page:

http://wiki.acaeum.com/wiki/Gallery:MERP_Other

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 pm 

I have a copy of 8090 Brigands of Mirkwood, with the errata.

I am just wondering if this was printed again, or is this the only copy. I know that Guy has a copy, so wondered if anyone else has one, or knows the story.

Thanks.

Mary

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:25 pm 

Hi Mary,

I have come across two newish 'Brigands of Mirkwood' and both had the errata sheet. As far as I know there is only one print. To confirm if they were released without the errata sheet, someone would have to open a new copy and confirm it was not included!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:39 pm 

I was thinking more of a copy that had the items in the errata actually included in the magazine. But, guess they all came with it. Thanks!

Mary

HermitFromPluto wrote:Hi Mary,

I have come across two newish 'Brigands of Mirkwood' and both had the errata sheet. As far as I know there is only one print. To confirm if they were released without the errata sheet, someone would have to open a new copy and confirm it was not included!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:35 pm 

Help needed: Question about MERP 2nd Edition The Shire

I understand that this comes with a colour map, although I have spoken to some who seem unsure whether it did. If anyone has this, can they please confirm the size of the colour map that came with The Shire? What it depicts? And whether it was attached to the book or included loose inside the cover?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:Hi Mary,

I found some evidence that it was released without the errata sheet.

Iron Crown Quarterly #7 ("Ides of March" Issue, March 15, 1990) has a letters to the editor section where Stuart Butterfield from Leeds asks some questions. One of the questions is as follows:
"What's the story on Brigands of Mirkwood? Were the typesetters drunk? Who is who on the NPC table?"

To which the editor responds:
"Actually, the Editor was drunk. We're sending along an errata sheet with the correct names."

(Note that the module's copyright date is 1987, but this particular Q&A session is from late 1989 to early 1990. This doesn't necessarily establish a time-frame for when the sheets started being included, however, due to the fact that the person could have bought a module that had been sitting on a store shelf for a couple years.)

Guy Fullerton

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:57 pm 

The pdf I have (from a recent horde of MERP pdfs I turned up) has no errata sheet... but that doesn't really prove anything, I suppose.

Next