Free RPG Day website?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:52 pm 

I've had many try...and maybe even some who did it, but we have such a huge database of stores that if you don't have a commercial address, store website and confirmation from an actual game distributor that you are a store, then we will not send to you.  I've had folks use them UPS Store type places, but then we just search the net and see multiple businesses at the address and call the phone number.  I'm sure it has happened, but trust me, I make it difficult!  :P

Best,
Aldo

Mars wrote:I'm just wondering if I could get away with buying a box from the Free RPG Day website or not.  It seems like they will happily take my money anyway.  I could then set up a lemonade stand outside and give them away.

"Planet Mars - lemonade from out of this world"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:19 pm 

Thanks for stopping by and answering the questions.  Mainly curious if there would have been a cheaper way of purchasing a box of stuff (other than through Ebay) because none of the gamestores in my area are participating this year (whereas last year there were 3).

I called one store this morning and they said that they had signed up but nothing arrived so I don't know if they are just covering themselves or if the package is late.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:36 pm 

Tell me the store and I can look it up in case they paid and it did not get sent out.

And I'm sorry but if a store does not join the event then there is no other way except eBay.

Best,
Aldo

Mars wrote:Thanks for stopping by and answering the questions.  Mainly curious if there would have been a cheaper way of purchasing a box of stuff (other than through Ebay) because none of the gamestores in my area are participating this year (whereas last year there were 3).

I called one store this morning and they said that they had signed up but nothing arrived so I don't know if they are just covering themselves or if the package is late.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:39 pm 

Hi,

out of interest, if this is a promotional exercise, why do you include only bricks-and-mortar stores, and not online ones?

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 pm 

It really comes down to getting the consumer out of the house and into a social experience...which is what RPGs are all about anyways.  B&M retailers are really the crux of getting the word out about games so those are the ones we support.  If an online retailer received the items, then all they would do is charge shipping for you to get a hold of them and/or make you buy something.  The other thing is that so many online retailers work from home that it makes verifying if an online retailer is doing more than just 1 sale a month to some friends vs. a store that actively promotes the hobby each and every day.  Some disagree with this decision, but in the end, it is one we will always stick to for this event.

Best,
Aldo

lawrenson wrote:Hi,

out of interest, if this is a promotional exercise, why do you include only bricks-and-mortar stores, and not online ones?

Cheers,
Malc

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:03 pm 

After being in Texas and dealing with Lone Star for two years, I found the stores that I visited to be refreshing.

Castle Perilous - Illinois - I visited this store pre-Free-RPG-Day.  It had a table at the front of the store set up with items.  This was a good idea, as customers can look but not take anything until the 20th.  Arrrgh!  I wonder if the Yu-Gi-Oh players noticed it and got everything today.  :)

I forget their policy, but it was something like 1 free, 1 more if you are a Preferred Customer, 1 more per $20 purchase.  Something like that.

Game Cafe - Missouri - A newish game store stocked with board games, card games, and RPGs.  I did not see any Free RPG Day items; they were in the basement where an RPG tournament for the Q-Workshop dice would be held later.  The store was busy with customers and people playing in some other tournament.

I don't know how many boxes they got it, but they did not limit quantities.  I took some of the common items.

Thompson Productions - Missouri - The store name worried me; was it a real store?  Definitely!  It had metal and plastic minis, comics, RPGs, the works.  Another example of a solid gamestore.  It had a student discount and $10 off RPGs over $29.

It had a take-all-you-want table of last year's Free RPG Day remnants, miscellaneous overstock, and promos.  This year's Free RPG Day items were "Take 1 of an item for a maximum of 5", including the Chessex and Q-Workshop dice.  Kinda slow when I was there, but some items were getting low.

Valhalla Games - Illinois - Another relatively new game store stocked with board games, minis, and RPGs.  Some customers were selling their used games ("indoor garage sale") at tables inside the store.  Brilliant!

The Free RPG Day items were behind the counter.  Pick 1 from this year, pick 1 from last year, and that was it.  The store was medium-busy and also had something going on at the gaming tables.

So . . . each store was able to bring something different to this year's Free RPG Day.  Four different stores, four different ways to run things.  Each store appeared successful --- fresh stock of games, customers in the store, items being sold at the register.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:10 pm 

And so the Ebay frenzy has begun.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 pm 

Mars wrote:And so the Ebay frenzy has begun.

Damned Canadians!  We Americans are too fat and lazy to be the first . . .

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:55 pm 

Wingnut wrote:Yes, the # of stores are down this year.  Last year, we had nearly 400 stores and this year it is nearly 300.  So many stores told us that it was the economy for lack of RPG sales as to their decision not to spend the $65 to participate.

$65 is too much for a gamestore to spend on a promotion?

Free RPG Day creates so many immediate and future sales opportunites . . .

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:$65 is too much for a gamestore to spend on a promotion?

Free RPG Day creates so many immediate and future sales opportunites . . .

Maybe, maybe not. The stores I've gone to for Free RPG Day don't seem to get much bump out of it.

I went to RIW Hobbies (Livonia, MI) for the first and second Free RPG Days, and they were never busy. (In contrast, the "busy" store in the area, Pandemonium doesn't participate, possibly because they're crazy busy every Saturday already.)

This year, I had to go to New World Comics & Games in Oklahoma City (because I was traveling for my job).  The store was busy with two gaming groups there, but neither of them seemed to care about the Free RPGs.  When the owner saw me looking at them, he told me to go ahead and take one of everything!

Local gaming markets can be quirky. Some neighborhoods, gamers are set on what they play, and don't seem motivated to try new games, even if they get a free introduction. I can totally believe there are stores that don't see any benefit from giving away copies of second- and third-tier games like "Hollow Earth Expeditions."

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Damned Canadians!  We Americans are too fat and lazy to be the first . . .

This guy seems to be the first to Ebay with 3 copies of 4e D&D module:

eBay listings

Price of one is already at $26.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:34 am 

Hi,

this is all OK in countries where floor space is reasonably cheap, but in the UK only a handful of rpg shops actually have any playing space, as most are smaller than my sitting room.

Ho hum...

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:54 am 

Was fortunate to have a FLGS participating this year.  Took the advice of the Friday night chat folks and took my two teenagers - my daughter will be 16 next month and my son is 18.  The store is very hard to find, and exists primarily as an internet store.  In fact, to buy anything there one had to utilize one of the many computer monitors lined up on the counter, find the item, and they would pull it from the back storeroom.  Its main function is a gaming site, and it is wildly successful.  There were at least 20 large tables, all going full bore with 4th edition games.  They had the free rpg stuff strewn haphazardly near the register.  Very friendly folks, their policy on the free stuff was one per customer. I tried to find something to buy just to give them props for participating.  Unsuccessfully, I'm sorry to say.  But they were very nice and chatty, and I will pass along their website: http://www.coolstuffgames.com/

After we got back in the car, my daughter said "Someone called me baby!  I've never had anyone call me baby!"  She had been in line holding the nifty C&C Primer, and a gamer had approached her.
"Hey baby, are you into Castles & Crusades?  I hear it's brutal."  She sort of stammered that she would look forward to learning about it, and scooted toward the exit.  My son said that if he had heard the guy, he would have "given him a look."  So, exciting time for my sheltered daughter.

I also got the Q-workshop dice and Kyber's Harvest.  I did promise a certain person from this forum that I would share, so am waiting to hear what you want.  Oh, wait - I remember now... everything.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:01 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:"Hey baby, are you into Castles & Crusades?  I hear it's brutal."

8O

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:51 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:After being in Texas and dealing with Lone Star for two years, I found the stores that I visited to be refreshing.

Refreshing?  Did they serve lemonade and iced tea?  :P

I was able to drop into my local Lone Star Comics right after they opened at 10 am and pick up the Eberron adventure.  I looked over the other offerings and nothing really seemed all that interesting.  I will be back in on Wednesday to pick up my weekly comics and if they have anything left over I might grab up a couple.  The Paranoia book looked like it might be worthwhile but I really didnt have time to peruse it in detail.  What I did have hope for was the Rogue Trader giveaway and I didnt care for it.  I guess I was expecting something different.  At least it was in full color.  :)   The Pathfinder Bestiary was useless and the Hollow Earth intro and adventure was the exact same one they had last year.  :?   I didnt even see any of the Mongoose items (A mini Traveller adventure would have been perfect for Free RPG Day IMHO) and didnt bother with the Goodman flipbook.  I have zero interest in Amethyst and really wished they had released something that has to do with Death Dealer or even Eldritch instead.

I'll have to ask the manager how busy they were on Saturday to see just how much interest there was or if it was just a typical weekend for them.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Refreshing?  Did they serve lemonade and iced tea?  :P

IIRC, one Lone Star did have that for Free RPG Day 2007 and 2008.

I didnt even see any of the Mongoose items

Mongoose put out Corporation, Dragon Warriors, and Paranoia.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:23 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Mongoose put out Corporation, Dragon Warriors, and Paranoia.

OK, the Paranoia I saw.  But the other two werent on the table.  They were displaying everything on a card table in the middle of the store.  I guess they didnt have enough room to put everything on there at the same time.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:43 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:
After we got back in the car, my daughter said "Someone called me baby!  I've never had anyone call me baby!"  She had been in line holding the nifty C&C Primer, and a gamer had approached her.
"Hey baby, are you into Castles & Crusades?  I hear it's brutal."  

Worst....Pickup Line....EVAH!!!
:D
Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext