Free RPG Day website?
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 am 

Ordered from Nobleknight again this year, got the typical C&C, Paizo, Wotc items as well as the Goodman Games one.  Also wanted Black Crusade but surprised it was not offered.
With maybe getting the hospital bills lowered somewhat wife allowed the purchase (though one maybe yet to be processed and sent to us), otherwise I would have just picked up Paizo's module for $5 when they sell it.
Hope I can teach first my daughter and then any more children with the Troll Lords Harvesters box set, but that's a ways off.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am 

Happily, I was five-for-five on my checklist, and Free RPG day gave me the excuse I was waiting for to grab that bad boy on the bottom right :)

Was there a Cthulhu item this year?  If so, I must have missed it.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:05 am 

davidc wrote:Was there a Cthulhu item this year?  If so, I must have missed it.

Not according to this years list.  It was most likely the Goodman Games' Age of Cthulhu offering from last year that the FLGS had left over.  Another one that I didnt see was the Tunnels & Trolls book.  I may have to see about finding one of those.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am 

I read on the web-site that the Troll Lord Games & Flying Buffalo books were both one-to-a-kit, I pleasantly surprised to find both.  Probably  won't be many in the left-over piles but Good Luck!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 am 

sauromatian wrote:Hasbro's D&D module came with no map, tile, or other goodie this year. Many of the other regular players (Tunnels & Trolls, Castles & Crusades) seemed to have lowered their production values as well. Signs of a new recession, I suppose.

In the Trolls' case it was supposed to be a quickstart for Amazing Adventures, their pulp RPG using the SIEGE engine. However there was a problem on their end so they couldn't include this quickstart. As a result they had to quickly put out yet another C&C quickstart, thus the low production values. At least they had a reason. The Tunnels & Trolls booklet was just plain sloppy. You can feel the text on the paper, which is a sure sign that it was laser printed. It also was fuzzy, making it difficult to read. Expect the print to start lifting from the paper in time.

I found Free RPG Day this year to be disappointing, despite being able to grab what I wanted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:59 pm 

I didn't feel like going out yesterday, fortunately I made a phone call to my LGS owner, and he kept a copy of Here Be Goblins for me! Especially good of him as he said that most of the items went by 11 am! So I went into town and picked up the copy today! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:18 pm 

Couldn't get a copy of C&C's quick start so I figured I'd look on ebay. Lots of WoTC and Paizo...a few Dragon Age...1 DCC RPG...and none of the C&C or Tunnels & Trolls. Glad I picked up the T&T one.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 pm 

It bugs me to see this stuff for sale.  I get that even freebies become collectible eventually, and people have the right to do it blah blah blah, but it seems like this is abuse of the idea.

If you picked something up and didn't like it, give it to someone else to try.  If you hoarded stuff in order to make a buck, that's definitely in opposition to the spirit of the event.  And if you laid out your own money to get these items and are then selling off the ones you don't want... well I guess that's fine.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 am 

TheHistorian wrote:It bugs me to see this stuff for sale.

What truly bugs me is seeing the stuff up on Ebay the SAME DAY as the event itself (or even before).  There is at least one guy that has nine or ten different auctions going right now and they all started on Saturday.  8O

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:What truly bugs me is seeing the stuff up on Ebay the SAME DAY as the event itself (or even before).  There is at least one guy that has nine or ten different auctions going right now and they all started on Saturday.  8O

Exactly.

And to be clear, my interest this year was zero.  I wanted no items and I got no items.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:What truly bugs me is seeing the stuff up on Ebay the SAME DAY as the event itself (or even before).  There is at least one guy that has nine or ten different auctions going right now and they all started on Saturday.  8O

Yeah. When I spoke with the shop owner on Saturday, he said that most of the items had gone by 11 am, and some people had gone to another nearby shop to pick up everything they could, then tried doing the same at his. Kind of taking the p***, that one!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:19 am 

That is very sad.
I have picked up three items at Noble Knight even if it was not very well advertised (I miss the DCC Quickstart).

Paizo is now selling its module (We be goblins!) at $5. Good idea IMO to avoid the problem you have pointed out.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:49 pm 

Did anyone miss out on anything they were looking for? I didn't get the C&C I was wanting, but at 1 per box, it was unlikely anyways.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:14 pm 

le Rahib wrote:I have picked up three items at Noble Knight even if it was not very well advertised (I miss the DCC Quickstart).

I was kind of surprised that Noble Knight didnt advertise like they did last year when they sent out emails to people on their mailing list about the Free RPG Day deal.  I had to email them to ask if it they were going to do it again.

Strange how when I went to NKG's website, they didnt have the Black Crusade item or the Tunnels & Trolls adventure (I think it was around 10 am CST).  But later on in the day they showed up.  I guess someone forgot to add them until later.  I still got the Black Crusade book from my local store but they didnt have a few of the other items.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am 

Was curious about the DCC, but was too busy to look around. Besides, I don't think anyone around here participates. At least they haven't in the past. I'll track it down somewhere.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:29 pm 

I think Goodman said that they'll have the FreeRPG module available on their website a week after FreeRPG day. I don't know if it'll be a free download or what though.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:30 pm 

GreyM wrote:I think Goodman said that they'll have the FreeRPG module available on their website a week after FreeRPG day. I don't know if it'll be a free download or what though.

$5 for the free adventure pdf. 18 pages including covers.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
$5 for the free adventure pdf. 18 pages including covers.

Not exactly free is it?!  :wink:

Eulaliaaa!!!

PreviousNext