Free RPG Day website?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm 

I visited a local game store.

This year I chose to avoid the larger game store in town because they liked to play games with Free RPG Day:  It isn't free.  I got so disgusted with them two years ago that Free RPG Day actually worked in reverse for them....since I won't go in there anymore specifically because of what they did.

The store I visited was a small, space with four game tables, mostly concentrated on selling Warmachine miniatures.

They were giving out free items, but only to people who hung around all day and waited to play in one of their games.  I asked for a copy of the DCC RPG Adventure Starter rules.  They gave me a copy because no one was planning to run a DCC RPG game.

All in all, it was possibly, maybe, almost, just short of being worth the gas and time to drive over there.

I'm sending the manager an email to thank him for the DCC rules, anyway.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm 

Hi,

I dont know about in the USA, but in the UK, "free" doesnt actually mean gratis.

The shops have to pay for the kits - they arent given to them.

About $90 or so.

Many shops on a small margin find that a bit much.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:21 pm 

Malc,

I think its the same over here. I'm pretty sure the stores here have to pay for the boxes as well. Its the main reason I try to actually purchase something else from the store while I'm there. Unfortunately, there wasn't much at the first one I hit today so I just picked up a couple of magazines.

I went to the 2nd store. They had all the FreeRPGday items on the counter with a note reading "These items are free but please limit yourself to only picking 3 so that others may enjoy them as well". A lot of the items were already gone when I got there. Almost all of the 1 per box items were gone. I picked up the only Tunnels & Trolls quick start they had (1 per box). The DCCrpg were gone already. The Paizo and WOTC products still had 10 or so each. It looks like this area isn't for WoD as they still had the whole stack of them (but I'll give White Wolf credit...they put out a free 64 page quick start rules for free).

Given the differences between the two stores, I spent roughly twice as much in the second store compared to the first. The first store was mainly a wargaming shop (Warhammer 40k, etc) and seemed like RPGs were just a small add on for them. The second shop appeared to be roughly 50% comics and 50% gaming (RPGs, Wargames, Boardgames, etc) but they had more stuff that interested me including some new OSR items.

Jerry

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:28 pm 

I did buy something from the store I will no longer visit.  I bought $10 of dice.  I didn't like their grudging attitude and their head games.

The point of the promotion is to get customers into brick and mortar stores.  Backfired in their case.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm 

lawrenson wrote:The shops have to pay for the kits - they arent given to them.

About $90 or so.

Its the same here which is why I don't think any of the shops in my area have participated since the first year it was offered.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 pm 

I had a lot of fun playing in the We be goblins pathfinder module. The dungeon master received a copy for himself + a copy for each of the players so playing the module got me a copy of that one.

Then when I was finished word got around about our funny adventures and three other groups formed and started playing the adventure.

I've seen a group playing the Dark Age game, I believe there was a group playing WOD, some 4th edition demo, and others just came in and played their regular campaign in the store.

Since I'm the only collector overthere and good friends with the guys running the store I could pick whatever I wanted. I picked up the DCC rules and the WOTC expansion and told them I'd just wait until the end of the day and pick up some things from what was left. So I ended up with the WOD book and dragon age game as well.

Picked up some Pathfinder stuff as well and when I left the owner also gave me the dice tower.

That must have been my first session in a loooooong time and I really enjoyed being able to play again.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:53 pm 

xRalphx wrote:I had a lot of fun playing in the We be goblins pathfinder module. The dungeon master received a copy for himself + a copy for each of the players so playing the module got me a copy of that one.

:D
Lucky man !
Where is that dynamic store...?
I didn't know there was a chance to find such stores in continental Europe.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm 

http://www.oberonn.be/eng.htm

Hasselt Belgium. That would be only two hours from Lille actually.

There's quite an extensive rpg section but no old stuff. Paizo, Wizards, White wolf, Cthulhu, + a whole bunch of less known rpg's.

And lots of miniatures and board games as well.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:21 pm 

It is great to have some good places like this.

It seems that there is a good store in Liège, but I didn't have the opportunity to go there.

Thank you for the link !

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm 

One per customer at my LGS. I got the Paizo module as it seemed to have the best production value. Making me wonder whether Paizo-era Dungeon magazines might come into demand someday, as they basically have similar content. Maybe when they're old enough.

Everybody brought their kids, from screaming toddlers to protesting teenagers. Apparently to claim more items.

I guess I'll go hunting for the rest online. $5 seems to be the going rate. Any recommendations?

Hasbro's D&D module came with no map, tile, or other goodie this year. Many of the other regular players (Tunnels & Trolls, Castles & Crusades) seemed to have lowered their production values as well. Signs of a new recession, I suppose.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:58 pm 

I got the Paizo adventure, the DCC quickstart (also with two short adventures), the WOD one (my local CBG clone*), and the 4E item.  Tried to score the Dragon Age, Cthulhu, and C&C ones but the guy was being appropriately thrifty since it was early.

Sunrunner44 - knows his semi-reputable corporate scumbag look frightens most CBGs**.

* and yes, he's the cliche of cliches, down to the stench and t-shirt with authentic, non-pre-ripped holes.

** in their mind, I know they see me and think: "dammit, sales tax audit"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:21 am 

Rolled in the door about 30 minutes ago.  Long day.

Overall I decided to not take the rarest Free RPG Day items.  I made exceptions for the Free RPG Day dice (1) and Laser Squid Nemesis (1).  I left the dice towers, and I left the other one-per-box items if the store had bought only one box.  Why gorge myself when others may want a shot at them?  I did spend money in each store, though I spent less than $50 total this year.

The common items were common enough that I will feel no guilt in eBaying them to partially recoup gas costs.  The 4E and Pathfinder modules were definitely not in short supply.  I don't know if eBay will be flooded with sellers this year or if buyers will be willing to pay anything for the common items.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:46 am 

Ordered from Nobleknight again this year, got the typical C&C, Paizo, Wotc items as well as the Goodman Games one.  Also wanted Black Crusade but surprised it was not offered.
With maybe getting the hospital bills lowered somewhat wife allowed the purchase (though one maybe yet to be processed and sent to us), otherwise I would have just picked up Paizo's module for $5 when they sell it.
Hope I can teach first my daughter and then any more children with the Troll Lords Harvesters box set, but that's a ways off.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 am 

Happily, I was five-for-five on my checklist, and Free RPG day gave me the excuse I was waiting for to grab that bad boy on the bottom right :)

Was there a Cthulhu item this year?  If so, I must have missed it.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:05 am 

davidc wrote:Was there a Cthulhu item this year?  If so, I must have missed it.

Not according to this years list.  It was most likely the Goodman Games' Age of Cthulhu offering from last year that the FLGS had left over.  Another one that I didnt see was the Tunnels & Trolls book.  I may have to see about finding one of those.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:13 am 

I read on the web-site that the Troll Lord Games & Flying Buffalo books were both one-to-a-kit, I pleasantly surprised to find both.  Probably  won't be many in the left-over piles but Good Luck!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:10 am 

sauromatian wrote:Hasbro's D&D module came with no map, tile, or other goodie this year. Many of the other regular players (Tunnels & Trolls, Castles & Crusades) seemed to have lowered their production values as well. Signs of a new recession, I suppose.

In the Trolls' case it was supposed to be a quickstart for Amazing Adventures, their pulp RPG using the SIEGE engine. However there was a problem on their end so they couldn't include this quickstart. As a result they had to quickly put out yet another C&C quickstart, thus the low production values. At least they had a reason. The Tunnels & Trolls booklet was just plain sloppy. You can feel the text on the paper, which is a sure sign that it was laser printed. It also was fuzzy, making it difficult to read. Expect the print to start lifting from the paper in time.

I found Free RPG Day this year to be disappointing, despite being able to grab what I wanted.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:59 pm 

I didn't feel like going out yesterday, fortunately I made a phone call to my LGS owner, and he kept a copy of Here Be Goblins for me! Especially good of him as he said that most of the items went by 11 am! So I went into town and picked up the copy today! :)

PreviousNext