Free RPG Day website?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm 

Might want to take a look at the DCC Quickstart, but from what I've heard, it's not really my game style.

Nothing else catches my eye.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Might want to take a look at the DCC Quickstart, but from what I've heard, it's not really my game style.

Nothing else catches my eye.

Ditto.  I'll go check out the stores to see if anything looks good flipping through, but nothing really jumps out this year.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:46 pm 

Can anyone get a DCC Quickstart rules for me?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 am 

I'd be really appreciative if someone could get a copy of the WotC module, Pathfinder module and DCC quick start and adventure for me. The closest store to me is 10 hour round-trip drive :( as none of my local stores are participating. I'd happily pay postage costs.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:01 pm 

Just a bump to remind people about FRPGD. Look forward to reading about the trials and tribulations of the day (hopefully more tribulations). And again hoping someone can pick me up a copy of the WotC, Paizo and DCC adventure.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 pm 

Drove to the first of two stores by me that are doing it this year. Got there at 10AM when they opened (according to their website). All lights are off. Big CLOSED sign on the front door. The hours sign states "Open at 11AM on Saturdays". Guy comes by and opens the door at 10:05 or so. He says he forgot to put up signs yesterday and they'll be open at 11. Didn't want to wait for an hour so looked up directions to the other store. Drove over there (they were open at 10). Talked to the owner. This early on FreeRPGday, he limits people to 1 item only. He said if I make it back down later in the evening, he'll open it up more. I look around to find something to buy just to support them for supporting FreeRPGday. Couldn't really find anything...asked about the funky dice for DCCrpg. No luck. Asked about anything RPG non-WoTC or non-Paizo related....no luck. Found it a little funny that I can get the free items from various manufacturers, but if I wanted to buy their core products, I couldn't at this store. Ended up picking up a few magazines. Looked at the clock and had to run back home to take my son to t-ball game. Got home...t-ball game has been cancelled.  :twisted:

Getting ready to load him up and hit the first store ... last year I had better luck on getting multiples on the days after.

My 2 cents on running around on FreeRPG Day 2011.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 pm 

Since the local stores here in Dallas are so far apart from each other, I went ahead and put in an order with Noble Knight.  For every $15 you spend in the store you can grab one of the Free RPG Day items.  I had been meaning to make an order for the last couple of months anyway but wanted to wait to maximize my haul.  Of course, one item I had on my want list was gone (was there yesterday though) so I had to grab something else instead.  :(

But for some strange reason, Black Crusade wasnt among the items available so I guess I'll have to drop by one of the stores after all.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm 

Hi,

got my kit today.

No wonder the dice are going fast - hardly any in there!

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:12 pm 

I visited a local game store.

This year I chose to avoid the larger game store in town because they liked to play games with Free RPG Day:  It isn't free.  I got so disgusted with them two years ago that Free RPG Day actually worked in reverse for them....since I won't go in there anymore specifically because of what they did.

The store I visited was a small, space with four game tables, mostly concentrated on selling Warmachine miniatures.

They were giving out free items, but only to people who hung around all day and waited to play in one of their games.  I asked for a copy of the DCC RPG Adventure Starter rules.  They gave me a copy because no one was planning to run a DCC RPG game.

All in all, it was possibly, maybe, almost, just short of being worth the gas and time to drive over there.

I'm sending the manager an email to thank him for the DCC rules, anyway.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm 

Hi,

I dont know about in the USA, but in the UK, "free" doesnt actually mean gratis.

The shops have to pay for the kits - they arent given to them.

About $90 or so.

Many shops on a small margin find that a bit much.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:21 pm 

Malc,

I think its the same over here. I'm pretty sure the stores here have to pay for the boxes as well. Its the main reason I try to actually purchase something else from the store while I'm there. Unfortunately, there wasn't much at the first one I hit today so I just picked up a couple of magazines.

I went to the 2nd store. They had all the FreeRPGday items on the counter with a note reading "These items are free but please limit yourself to only picking 3 so that others may enjoy them as well". A lot of the items were already gone when I got there. Almost all of the 1 per box items were gone. I picked up the only Tunnels & Trolls quick start they had (1 per box). The DCCrpg were gone already. The Paizo and WOTC products still had 10 or so each. It looks like this area isn't for WoD as they still had the whole stack of them (but I'll give White Wolf credit...they put out a free 64 page quick start rules for free).

Given the differences between the two stores, I spent roughly twice as much in the second store compared to the first. The first store was mainly a wargaming shop (Warhammer 40k, etc) and seemed like RPGs were just a small add on for them. The second shop appeared to be roughly 50% comics and 50% gaming (RPGs, Wargames, Boardgames, etc) but they had more stuff that interested me including some new OSR items.

Jerry

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:28 pm 

I did buy something from the store I will no longer visit.  I bought $10 of dice.  I didn't like their grudging attitude and their head games.

The point of the promotion is to get customers into brick and mortar stores.  Backfired in their case.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm 

lawrenson wrote:The shops have to pay for the kits - they arent given to them.

About $90 or so.

Its the same here which is why I don't think any of the shops in my area have participated since the first year it was offered.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 pm 

I had a lot of fun playing in the We be goblins pathfinder module. The dungeon master received a copy for himself + a copy for each of the players so playing the module got me a copy of that one.

Then when I was finished word got around about our funny adventures and three other groups formed and started playing the adventure.

I've seen a group playing the Dark Age game, I believe there was a group playing WOD, some 4th edition demo, and others just came in and played their regular campaign in the store.

Since I'm the only collector overthere and good friends with the guys running the store I could pick whatever I wanted. I picked up the DCC rules and the WOTC expansion and told them I'd just wait until the end of the day and pick up some things from what was left. So I ended up with the WOD book and dragon age game as well.

Picked up some Pathfinder stuff as well and when I left the owner also gave me the dice tower.

That must have been my first session in a loooooong time and I really enjoyed being able to play again.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:53 pm 

xRalphx wrote:I had a lot of fun playing in the We be goblins pathfinder module. The dungeon master received a copy for himself + a copy for each of the players so playing the module got me a copy of that one.

:D
Lucky man !
Where is that dynamic store...?
I didn't know there was a chance to find such stores in continental Europe.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:03 pm 

http://www.oberonn.be/eng.htm

Hasselt Belgium. That would be only two hours from Lille actually.

There's quite an extensive rpg section but no old stuff. Paizo, Wizards, White wolf, Cthulhu, + a whole bunch of less known rpg's.

And lots of miniatures and board games as well.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:21 pm 

It is great to have some good places like this.

It seems that there is a good store in Liège, but I didn't have the opportunity to go there.

Thank you for the link !

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 pm 

One per customer at my LGS. I got the Paizo module as it seemed to have the best production value. Making me wonder whether Paizo-era Dungeon magazines might come into demand someday, as they basically have similar content. Maybe when they're old enough.

Everybody brought their kids, from screaming toddlers to protesting teenagers. Apparently to claim more items.

I guess I'll go hunting for the rest online. $5 seems to be the going rate. Any recommendations?

Hasbro's D&D module came with no map, tile, or other goodie this year. Many of the other regular players (Tunnels & Trolls, Castles & Crusades) seemed to have lowered their production values as well. Signs of a new recession, I suppose.

PreviousNext