Suspected Modern Reproductions
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:39 am 

As I said already, it might not be a dot matrix (could be a typewriter; hell, it could be a specialized font that makes it appear a certain way), but the point of that was that the copy I bought from NKG does not look anything like what prints when I click Print at home... so, I was trying to authenticate the realism of the purchase, not further throw a wrench into it. But, OK... guess I need to go whip out the electron microscope to ensure it is pointillism and not something else...

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 am 

My concerns about the nature of the paper bonding and the ink placement aside, I accept the provenance of NKG's source and do not question either Aaron's integrity, or his honesty. I apologies for the wording I used when raising the question, which was ill thought out and overly aggressive. For that I am sorry.

It may now be time to lock this thread.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:49 am 

serleran wrote:As I said already, it might not be a dot matrix (could be a typewriter; hell, it could be a specialized font that makes it appear a certain way), but the point of that was that the copy I bought from NKG does not look anything like what prints when I click Print at home... so, I was trying to authenticate the realism of the purchase, not further throw a wrench into it. But, OK... guess I need to go whip out the electron microscope to ensure it is pointillism and not something else...

Your copy sounds quite interesteing.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 am 

Noble Knight Games wrote:Here's some more information guys directly from the seller of the Dundracon and Auranias.  Thanks for your kind words as well!!  I did get two more emails today "warning" me about this thread so if it is possible I would like it retitled as most people aren't bothering to read through the whole thing. -Aaron

Hugh K. Singh, last heard of in Portland, Oregon, will attest that J Tibbetts & Son was made the official California distributor for the Manual of Aurania as of DunDraCon in February of 1978. I will see if I can find the documentation for that.
Plan C would be to notice the groddy shrinkwrap on the Manuals of Aurania as proof of age..

- Jeff Tibbets

I vaguely remember some sort of deal with Tibbetts. We never shrinkwrapped the Manual.

I am indeed, the author (co) of the Manual of Aurania.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:27 am 

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure that there are those here who'd like to ask you questions about your early years gaming and the publication.

I can change the first post to indicate that the question was raised, and also add an edit to that post to state that evidence indicates the Aurania and City Map Modules are legitimate overstock. But changing the title would be erronious as other items mentioned in the thread have been shown to be modern reproductions and are no longer passed off as legitimate.

Can you clarify if there have been any further productions or printings of the product outside of the original '2nd Printing', and if '2nd Printing'  covers a rolling xerox printing run as required from say '78 through '82/3ish as demand required? I had assumed the latter.

>I go and change the first post<

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:59 pm 

No, we had only two printings/editions. Both in or around 1976, perhaps as late as 1978. Note that just because we never shrinkwrapped them does not mean a distributor or retailer did not do so.

The first ed was xerox, I think the 2nd ed was professionally printed for us, but yes, that could have just meant professionally xeroxed of course. The 2nd ed was an edition of 1000 copies. Thus, there were no more than about 1300 copies total.

No one else was given permission to print or publish. We did all that. We did ship boxes off to Jobbers, one of whom was Steve Lucky (I forget his company) who was also part of the IGA. Steve Hargrave (Arduin) also sold some for us.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 am 

Oh;- I was responsible for most of the content, maybe 60%, with Larry doing the typing and several Monsters. Hugh did the sales, arranged the printing and did the Samurai and the Skinshifter classes.

Aimee & Troy did the illos, and maybe a monster each.

There was written, and illustrated a Libram of Aurania. But due to problems, it was never printed.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 am 

and what became of that? In someones possession still?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:42 pm 

I dunno. It was at Aimee & Troy apartment last I saw it, some 30 years ago.

Previous