Top 5 non-TSR Rares
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:04 pm 

Mars wrote:
That is one that I want too - I think it might be generic rather than Traveller.  Have you seen one other than the recent auction?  I'm still pooped about losing that one :(  I need to follow up some leads on it after Easter.

Recent auction?  8O   I don't recall seeing one....suffice to say I would have bid on it had I noticed it.  As far as being generic....maybe, but the only place I have ever seen it is http://www.travellerbibliography.org/ct.html#jug

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:11 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Recent auction?  8O   I don't recall seeing one....suffice to say I would have bid on it had I noticed it.

Yep that's it.  Here's the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0339435492

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:36 pm 

Mars wrote:

Yep that's it.  Here's the auction:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Well now I know why I missed it.  Wasnt doing much Ebay searching back in February due to being unemployed.  Had I been employed I probably would have thrown about $100 at it.  Probably won't see another one for a few years.  :cry:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:47 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Had I been employed I probably would have thrown about $100 at it.

When I found the auction, I tried to search for info on it but didn't find any - there was no reference to Juggernaut Press.  After losing though, I wish I had put a bigger bid on it.  I have been trying to pick up some small press or generic Sci Fi stuff lately.  I'll let you know if I ever manage to track down some copies - sometimes I get lucky and find stuff.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:14 pm 

One I completely forgot to list is Hidden Kingdom.  Interesting rules, beautiful maps, and possibly the coolest presentation of any RPG ever made.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:42 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:One I completely forgot to list is Hidden Kingdom.  Interesting rules, beautiful maps, and possibly the coolest presentation of any RPG ever made.

is cool but not so rare phps last listed had also edgren knights of the round table for around $30-40 total

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:59 pm 

wants: 1) 1st pr Tunnels & trolls (used to own one many moons ago) 2) esgaroth herald (listed in heroic worlds-i've never seen a copy 3) 1st pr whimsy cards (referred to as "flimsy" cards in heroic worlds 4) beasts,men & gods 5) about 20 other things would be tied for next.  best: 1) middle-earth line 2) islandia line  3) midkemia line 4) dark tower-what a great dungeon crawl 5) haalkitaine by eidolon studios

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:13 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:If I had to start over again, it would probably be 2nd on my list. Kalifax would be 1st, of course  :)

Doing some comparing and I found out my Kalifax is incomplete :(  Missing 1 page so I think that means I deserve a refund of about $1.10 :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:06 pm 

stratochamp wrote:wants: 3) 1st pr whimsy cards (referred to as "flimsy" cards in heroic worlds

I wasn't aware that there were multiple printings of the Lion Rampant Whimsy Cards.  I know of the later "Story Path" sets from WW, and the expanded edition of Whimsy Cards from "Three Guys Gaming" (published in a VCR case in the middle 1990s), so I'd definitely be interested in more details on other printings of the original LR Whimsy Cards if you (or anyone else) have such, William!

Just in case anyone knows of these, I'm also still looking for a few other oddball non-D&D items:

- Atlas Games:  Bats of Mercille (1st printing), The Races After Dark
- White Rose Publishing:  Medieval France

as well as the aforementioned Pagan Publishing "Courting Madness"

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:43 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:You used to have quite a collection, IIRC. I remeber selling you Whay Price Glory?! back in 2004ish. Was any of your collection nonTSR?

What Price Glory.........

Yes you did.... And thank you for doing so.

I still have it.

Although back then most of my collection was TSR related.

I did have a few other items that are Non-TSR related too.

When I sold my RPG collection, almost NONE of those items stayed with me, as all I kept were a handful of TSR Rares.

A SW'ed Orange B3, a Second Print Woodie a fifth Print White Box Set, a Full Set of Minty First Prints of all five OD&D Supplements, a True First Greyhawk in Pristine Condition, a NM Second Edition Chainmail, all three of the First Print G Monos (Mint SW'ed). And one or two other things.

Plus I had purchased a rather large collection that had not yet been shipped to me that featured an Aussie G series Module (I have since obtained the other 2 G series Aussies).

That collection was not included in that transaction with Mike, and only half of it ever arrived..... (LONG story)

What did go, was a dozen or so other White Box Sets, a complete set of R, and RPGA series modules, plus extras of most of those (Some were SW'ed), all of the Strategic Reviews, a couple of Dragon Issue ones (And a LOT of other early issues), along with HUNDREDS of other TSR Modules, Books and Supplements and other items.

Enough stuff to fill Mikes truck bed to the top, and the cab was so full he could not even see his passenger side window as he drove away…..

After that sale, I did not even look at E-Bay again, or even the Acaeum really, with any regularity for (IIRC) about three years, but since then I have slowly started to re-build a small collection.

Most of the things I now have are not TSR related.

I do not even have anywhere near a complete set of the common TSR Modules, and not eager to get them, though I would not mind having some of them again.

I just have other priorities in collecting now.

For instance: I am far closer to having every DCC 3.x module….

Missing only the three rare GenCon special issues and the DCC 35 Gazetteer.

I also have every Castles and Crusades module in print as of today, two of the C&C Box Sets, along with at least two copies of the Core Rules Books (Both of them), including the Leatherette Limited Editions.

I hope to collect all of the available Town of Yggsburgh Supplements also.

All I have are Vol. 1 (the book), Vol. 2 (Upper Works Box Set), and the East Mark Gazetteer.

Aside from Issue ONE, I now have with every Issue of the Crusader magazine (15 issues), though I do not have a subscription (YET).

I also have a lot of the Tunnels and Trolls Solo Dungeons (NOT every Print, just one copy of most of the Dungeons) along with other T&T/FBI items, like the Sorcerers Apprentice Magazine (Missing three issues).

One box full of Judges Guild.

Another box filled with RuneQuest.

A small amount of Powers and Perils.

Dangerous Journeys.

Legendary Adventures.

Some other odds and ends of other Non-TSR RPGs….

A few Fantasy Art Pieces (Most of them were Very recently acquired, from Paul Jaquays).

I did not answer the original posts second question.

Currently, my favorite NON-TSR RPG is easily Castles and Crusades.

There are TWO Main Reasons:

1) The game has a real First Edition (TSR) feel to it with a small amount of Second Edition tossed in, along with a lot of original rules for simplifying the game too.

And……….

2) I have FIVE young grandkids now.

The system is very easy to use for the Castle Keeper and the players.

I hope to get the oldest grandson and his cousin playing a short adventure today.

Also just acquired a box game that I do not recall having seen before.

Tower of the Wizard King:  by Parker Brothers......

6-1/2" x 12" x 18" box.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I hope to convince some of the kids to try the game out with me this weekend if they do not want to play C&C.

As stated above; I am up to FIVE grandkids now.

Two of them are currently too young to play any RPG games, but the other three are often ready to play.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 am 

Also just acquired a box game that I do not recall having seen before.
Tower of the Wizard King: by Parker Brothers......
6-1/2" x 12" x 18" box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT &item=330316331695

I hope to convince some of the kids to try the game out with me this weekend if they do not want to play C&C.

As stated above; I am up to FIVE grandkids now.
Two of them are currently too young to play any RPG games, but the other three are often ready to play.

Dang, I need more grandkids!  Only have two, and they are too young to play anything yet!!! Your grandkids have to think you are way cool, playing C&C and cool looking boardgames with them.

Wizard King looks interesting. I looked it up on Board Game Geek, very nice looking board and pieces. I've never seen this one on the shelf.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:25 am 

Perhaps You just need to baby sit the grandkids more often and encourage the grown up kids to go out on more romantic dates and such...  :wink:  

It was easy for us though.

The wife and I have just the One kid and she LOVES kids herself (perhaps in part due to her having been raised as an only child)
I suppose she did not want any of her kids to be lonely at home with no one to play with. 8)

I stated in another NEW thread about playing the game Tower of the Wizard King".
It is a LOT of fun to play.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:48 am 

I'm a d20 / OGL fan, so . . .

1. What 5 non-TSR products are highest on your want list?

Book of Fiends [Green Ronin Publishing]
Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works [Troll Lord Games]
Love & War [Atlas Games]
Tome of Horrors III [Necromancer Games]
War of the Burning Sky: The Complete Campaign (Deluxe Edition) [E. N. Publishing]

2. What 5 non-TSR products that you own, are your favourites?

Beyond Countless Doorways [Malhavoc Press]
City State of the Invincible Overlord [Judges Guild]
Classic Monsters Revisited [Paizo Publishing]
Crime and Punishment [Atlas Games]
The Pirate's Guide to Freeport [Green Ronin Publishing]

Honorable Mention: White Robes, Black Hearts: Enigma of the Arcanexus [Dark Portal Games]
-- I helped co-write this book.  :D

I don't know how "rare" these products are considered but that's my list, regardless.

Robert Blezard
"I write; therefore, I am!"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:15 pm 

grodog wrote:- Atlas Games:  Bats of Mercille (1st printing), The Races After Dark

Aren't both printings of Bats actually Lion Rampant?  It's one of those ones I never expect to see, so I don't keep it in my mind.

Anyway, top 5 that I'm looking for:

* Whimsy Cards (Lion Rampant)
* Bats of Mercille (any printing, Lion Rampant or Atlas Games -- see above comment)
* Waves of Time CD (Rubicon Games)
* Realms of the Sun 1 (Rubicon Games)
* Realms of the Sun 2 (Rubicon Games)

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Last edited by g026r on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:45 pm 

g026r wrote:Aren't both printings of Bats actually Lion Rampant?  It's one of those ones I never expect so see, so I don't keep it in my mind.

Yes, that's right, and "Races After Dark" is also LR, and not AG.  Thanks for the correction, g026r!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:10 am 

Knightfall wrote:Love & War [Atlas Games]

These and other Atlas hardbacks were plentiful at Half-Price Books a year ago. That doesn't help you, since you are in Canada.  However, new copies are available on Amazon (U.S.) for less than $10.  Maybe Amazon Canada has some.
I don't know how "rare" these products are considered but that's my list, regardless.

If you want it and can't get ahold of it easily, then it might as well be an expensive rare to you.  :)

[Edit: In the last 24 hours, eBay seller rpg**anonymous*store put up at least two of your Top 5.  I wonder if he could put up a Crimson Cutlass for me.  ;)  ]

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:42 am 

grodog wrote:Yes, that's right, and "Races After Dark" is also LR, and not AG.  Thanks for the correction, g026r!

Hrm.  What's "Races After Dark"?  I don't think I know that one.

"Reader, Carthegena was of the mind, that unto thoſe Three Things, which the Ancients held Impoſſible, there ſhould be added this Fourth ; To find a Book Printed without Errata's."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:33 pm 

Want:

Brotherhood of The Bolt - to complete Islandia
Calthonwey

Favorites
1. Starstone
2. my other copy of Starstone
3. White Dwarf Archive
4. Thieves Guild
5. Islandia

(Note: In my mind, Judges Guild isnt 'non-tsr'. Its 'Judges Guild')

PreviousNext