CDM boxsets
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 am 

Mars wrote:
I have 3 different prints of CDM1.

I want to beat up the obsessive collector inside me for asking this... but what are the printing differences?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:59 am 

TheHistorian wrote:... but what are the printing differences?

The biggest difference is between the 1st and 2nd prints.  A few of the items in the first print were loose leaf sheets and in later prints were side stapled book format such as the illustrations book.  There are some editing changes in the adventure as well.  I believe there is also a change in the copyright statement on the back of the box as well.

Of the two later prints, the contents seem to be the same but the box is a different size - one is about a quarter inch longer than the other.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 am 

*sigh*

Always more stuff to get. Oh well. Had these on the list already. Good thing I am not interested in different printings. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:43 pm 

Mars wrote:There are some editing changes in the adventure as well.  I believe there is also a change in the copyright statement on the back of the box as well.

Of the two later prints, the contents seem to be the same but the box is a different size - one is about a quarter inch longer than the other.

Cheers for that. I presume this is CDM1 only? Are the editing differenced of any great interest as you recall? Or just spelling mistakes?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:25 pm 

. wrote:Are the editing differenced of any great interest as you recall? Or just spelling mistakes?

From what I recall there was a bit of a rewrite rather than just correcting spelling but I would have to dig them out to double check - or try and find the file where I made my original notes on the difference.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm 

That's a pain. Means I need to PDF both the first and one of the latter editions.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:50 pm 

Nice Price! ... $80.99

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:49 am 

We seem to be seeing a resurgence in the price of the Zhalindor Campaign materials. Tortured Souls! magazine prices went through the roof at the beginning of the year, and it would seem maybe that CDM prices will follow as those who have been buying up TS! want to complete their sets.

A damn good price indeed IMO.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:59 am 

The winning bidder was Lofenloc so not too surprised the price was high.  Also, CDM2 really is the set that most people who have all of the others don't have.  I can only recall about 3 or 4 of them in the last 6 or so years.  For all the other sets, I have probably seen triple that amount.  I doubt the other sets would get this high.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:38 am 

must get my CDM3 out have a good read through it again!

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:24 pm 

Well, I did, after all, get some of these... I was able to obtain 1, 3, and 4. Apparently, 2 is hard to get and 5 virtually non-existent (manuscript only?)

Are there any easy ways to tell the printings apart, as there were, at least in this thread, mentions of variations?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:01 pm 

CDM 1 seems to be about the only one that has significant variations.  I'm sure I've posted a list here before somewhere.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:08 pm 

Here's a link to another thread with the printing differences:

Question about Halls of the Dwarven Kings CDM1

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:44 pm 

I was reorganizing my collection, and dug out my copies of CDM3 and CDM4, both opened and the contents in NM condition, I´d say (not being an expert on that), the box of CDM3 being damaged. But I apparently forgot that my copy of CDM4 came with a german translation of the main text and the handouts, being made in 2001 (a copyright notice in the booklet stating as much) I have no idea why this translation was made, how many there are, and if there are more for the other boxes in the series. I don´t even recall where I bought that, but it was long ago, I´d think. Funny that I had forgotten that completely. I think I´ll try to contact the translator and ask him about it. Strange enough that someone would translate that 15+ years after publication.
EDIT: the translator seems to be very active in the german Runequest community, so that explains why.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:05 am 

Is the translation handwritten or typed? As in, does it look as though it is a one off produced by a previous owner, or did you buy it new, open in, and it was already packaged in the box? It's not something I have ever heard of, and to my knowledge the product was only available in Europe through mail order via adverts in White Dwarf, which itself was not widely available. If this is a packaged translation it is a most interesting curio.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in CDM boxsets:Is the translation handwritten or typed? As in, does it look as though it is a one off produced by a previous owner, or did you buy it new, open in, and it was already packaged in the box? It's not something I have ever heard of, and to my knowledge the product was only available in Europe through mail order via adverts in White Dwarf, which itself was not widely available. If this is a packaged translation it is a most interesting curio.

That's interesting. Have to see whether there is one in my copy.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:38 pm 

Old Man wrote in CDM boxsets:
mbassoc2003 wrote in CDM boxsets:Is the translation handwritten or typed? As in, does it look as though it is a one off produced by a previous owner, or did you buy it new, open in, and it was already packaged in the box? It's not something I have ever heard of, and to my knowledge the product was only available in Europe through mail order via adverts in White Dwarf, which itself was not widely available. If this is a packaged translation it is a most interesting curio.

That's interesting. Have to see whether there is one in my copy.

Checked my copy and no translation inside.

Old Man

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:55 am 

Sorry for totally forgetting about that post for half a year.
So, it is a 32-page booklet (counting the covers), with the covers on sturdier paper. Typewritten or most probably written on a computer. The cover shows a b/w reproduction of the monastery view, with the german title on top. So, either the translator had access to the original art or had the art from the original booklet edited. The booklet is stapled, original paper size DIN A 3, folded and then stapled. There are a number of translated handouts printed on sturdier color paper, and a number of sheets with NPC stats for runequest. All in all, it seems to be semiprofessionally made.

I can´t really recall how I got that. I think I bought it long ago from a now-defunct games shop on a convention, shortly after the copyright note of 2001 given for the translation. I think it was not shrink-wrapped, but it surely came with the translation. I have to get back on track trying to contact the translator.

Guess I gonna take some pictures of this, huh?

PreviousNext