CDM boxsets
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:01 am 

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if the original CDM and revised GW boxes were similar enough to use?

I've recently purchased CDM3 and reading through it has been good fun. I know the other boxes rarely come up (or do at a price) so wondered if the later GW stuff is worth having instead?

I've found the following out, but would like a valued opinion from the guys here

CDM1 Halls of the Dwarven Kings - GW Fire in the Mountains
CDM2 Lost Shrine of Kasar Khan - GW Blood in Darkness
CDM3 The Watchers of the Sacred Flame - GW Death Rock
CDM4 The Feathered Priests - GW Dwarf Wars

cheers
Dave

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:38 am 

The GW books (Doomstones) are similar to CDM but they have been reordered and retooled for use with WFRPG.

Your correspondence between them isn't quite right:

CDM1 Halls of the Dwarven Kings - Dwarf Wars
CDM2 Lost Shrine of Kasar Khan - Blood in Darkness
CDM3 The Watchers of the Sacred Flame - Fire in the Mountains
CDM4 The Feathered Priests - Death Rock

It would be difficult to try and combine the CDMs with use with the GW ones.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:56 am 

ah, thanks I got the listings from tomeoftreasures I think. But can the GW boxes be used for AD&D campaign, or converted to it, are they any good?
I dont recall much about Warhammer, but wasnt that more tabletop armies?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 am 

The beauty of the original CDM boxed sets is the tie ins with Tortured Souls! magazine and the Zhalindor campaign. Together, Zhalindor constitutes the single largest campaign world to have come out of the UK for D&D/AD&D.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:21 am 

The GW items are books not boxes and lose the generic/D&D feel in their GW form.  In comparing the two, names, places, stats, sequence of events, motivations for the PCs to do stuff, etc are changed so although the story is roughly the same it has undergone change.  You could of course redo monster stats, etc to convert the GW items for use with D&D (and your own campaign) but it would take some work.  My preference is of course the original CDM series but it is very difficult to find some of the boxes.

I'll have to take a look at the Doomstones info on ToT.  I haven't had a chance to input my CDM series items yet - there are a few different prints of some of the boxed sets and a manuscript for CDM5.  Tortured Souls #6 and #12 also have some adventures that fit in the campaign as well.

Also, there is a good article in Warpstone #16 with the history if the series and its transfer from generic to WFRPG:

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mdtpetri/sa ... warp16.jpg

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:55 am 

I don't have the CDM sets, but I do have all the Doomstones material as part of my WFRP collection.  That material isn't highly regarded in the Warhammer community.  I think it's a little underrated, but it's still not super.

As with anything, I think you could convert the material, but it would be a lot of work.  I agree with Mars on this.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:59 am 

TheHistorian wrote:That material isn't highly regarded in the Warhammer community.  I think it's a little underrated, but it's still not super.

I haven't really heard that before.  In the scheme of things, I think The Enemy Within Campaign is one of the best out there WFRPG or otherwise but I don't think Doomstones is dreadful.  I think it is stuff above average for Warhammer stuff.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:58 pm 

I happen to have just discovered a copy of CDM2 (opened).  Any idea the approximate value in the USA?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:15 pm 

Maondas wrote:I happen to have just discovered a copy of CDM2 (opened).  Any idea the approximate value in the USA?

UK appear to be anything from £8 to £25 for opened to SW and dependent on the actual CDM boxset.

I'd say it's around $15-20?? maybe..  :?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:28 pm 

Thanks - I'll list it up on Ebay and mention on the classifieds here and I guess we'll see!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:14 pm 

You may be surprised.
CDM2 is the hardest of the four to find. The only thing standing against you is the floorplans being cut up. Still, should top $20 easily. Would be surprised if it saw $40. All depends on how many people want to complete their sets.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:50 pm 

. wrote:You may be surprised.
CDM2 is the hardest of the four to find. The only thing standing against you is the floorplans being cut up. Still, should top $20 easily. Would be surprised if it saw $40. All depends on how many people want to complete their sets.

I bow to your knowledge on these, most certainly.. Didn't realise this one was worth that much more.

Good luck on the auction

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:00 pm 

. wrote:Would be surprised if it saw $40.

I wouldn't be all that surprised to see this hit $40 but you never know.  This really is the one that most people don't have.  All of the others would be considered common in comparison to this one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:02 am 

I've never seen a CDM1 or CDM2 mint in shrink.
Anyone know if such a thing exists?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:45 am 

. wrote:You may be surprised.

I have to agree, its the last one I am missing... there was a glut of shrnked 3's and 4's not so long ago..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:47 am 

. wrote:I've never seen a CDM1 or CDM2 mint in shrink.
Anyone know if such a thing exists?

I haven't seen CDM2 in shrink but I seem to remember that one of my CDM1 sets was initially in shrink (then I ripped it off since it was a different print).  The Endless Plans boxed sets were also in shrink.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 am 

Mars wrote:
I haven't seen CDM2 in shrink but I seem to remember that one of my CDM1 sets was initially in shrink (then I ripped it off since it was a different print).  The Endless Plans boxed sets were also in shrink.

Different print?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:22 am 

TheHistorian wrote:Different print?

I have 3 different prints of CDM1.

Next