More Vintage-Style Miniatures for your Role-Playing Games...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:
Miniatures can also be useful to emphasize the size of combat.  For example, if the sadistic DM sends a wave of 20 - 30 bandits down the road at my party, that number of minis makes clear the sheer number of combatants.

Larger pre-painted plastic D&D minis can show the relative size of creatures.  I'm not arguing that this is unimportant.  If the same demonic DM sends two Fomoran Giants at the party, then the two huge PPP minis can show that these are pretty big opponents.

Both situations sound very.....familiar  :lol:

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:18 pm 

Yes, I have a large collection of 25mm minis in lead, and I have used my Ral Parthas many many times.

I don't really worry if minis are the wrong size ie: if I have a 28mm monster and it's the only one I've, it's get's used... yes it's a bit larger than it should be... but it's like the"bubba" of the family... he was born over large... why can't it be the "hero" from that clan ?

In any case I'd have rather seen a new line come out in 25mm scale, but when coming out with a new product, I guess you need to try and follow trends that might help sell, especially in the current economy.

The 3mm difference doesn't kill the interest at all

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm 

The pre-sale on the Dragolisk ends tonight at Midnight...so if you're interested, please take advantage of the discount while it's still available.

Thanks to everyone here on Acaeum who's supporting this little venture with their purchases and kind words. Below, you'll find a painted picture of this critter ...

CSM-001, Dragolisk
Painted by Chris Wilson.

For those of you who pre-ordered, I'm picking up the initial batch of castings tomorrow evening and am just waiting on the clamshells so I can begin shipping. The artwork for the clamshell packs has been "done proud" (vintage style, of course!) by none other than Jaybird, of Three-Headed-Troll Studios.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:15 pm 

Thanks for all who purchased the Dragolisk and supported CSM's initial release. Tell your friends more are available.  :D

Our next release is CSM-002, Sea Devil Guards, pre-sale at NTRPGCon. It's a blister of two miniatures, retailing for $8.95. I'll have about a dozen on hand at the con, as well as some Dragolisks.

Some previews of the greens are here. I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos. Both were sculpted by Simon Summers.

Image Image

CSM-003 is a Lamia, sculpted by newcomer Oscar Pinto. In September, another blister of Sea Devils will make its appearance - this one containing a Sea Devil Champion (by Simon Summers) and a Sea Devil High Priestess (sculpted by Jason Wiebe).

I have pictures of the Lamia green also, which I'll post after the Sea Devils are released.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:45 pm 

Ooooh, cool!  Sahuagin have always been an underrepresented monster race.
Haven't gotten around to ordering the dracolisk, but I will soon; the quality of these two monsters bodes well for the Lamia -- I can't wait to see her!

Shanghai fun & friends!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:43 am 

Due to unforseen issues in the casting of CSM-002, Sea Devil Guards, this release has been delayed until mid-July.

Center Stage Miniatures prides itself on producing professional-quality metal miniatures for the vintage role-playing gamer. It is with our customers in mind that the decision has been made to halt production until these issues have been resolved.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and support as we resolve this issue.

Best,

Matt
Center Stage Miniatures

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:32 am 

I like some of the more modern miniatures by a number of companies. The probem I have is that some companies make you buy three miniatures for say $12, but won't package or sell the miniature you want on it's own. If they have one good model of a bugbear for example, and two so-so models, why force someone to buy all three?

This is an issue I've had with a number of modern miniatures companies, and that is why I do not buy from them. In the example above for instance, I would buy a dozen of the casting with the spear, but I wouldn't go near the other one, and if I were forced to buy 12 twin packs, I can find other places to spend my money. It'd be refreshing as a startup company if you could offer sales of miniatures individially as well as in prepared lots.

Just my 2c.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:32 pm 

BITD, minis companies would bring open stock to conventions, and you could buy singles from blisters that had been opened, some of the figures damaged, etc., etc.:  yet another good reason to go to conventions :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:59 pm 

Thanks to both of you for some very good points.

I definitely will take your suggestion and make these miniatures available on an individual basis. As a miniature collector myself, it's been my experience that most companies package similar models together (i.e. 3 orc models, etc.) and that was the way it was done.

Shame on me for not thinking "out of the box."  :oops:

The idea of selling individual miniatures also would allow for people to "customize" their encounters - or in this case, since more are forthcoming this fall - their Sea Devil lair!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 am 

serleran wrote:At my table, if the orc is bigger than the ogre, the orc becomes the ogre... problem solved.

yeppers.  8)
Now that is old school thinking right there.
I like it!

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:48 pm 

The Dragolisk arrived and it looks great.  I can't wait to paint it.  Wonderful debut, Matt.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 pm 

Well, it's taken two weeks, but I've finally got my bearings following an amazing three-day convention in Texas. Doug and Mike, you guys outdid yourseves!

Pre-orders are now being taken for Center Stage Miniatures next release - two Sea Devils, sculpted by Simon Summers. Regular retail price is $4.25 each, but for a limited time, pre-order price is $3.99 per figure.

You can preorder the Sea Devils from the online store at www.centerstagerpgs.com. Or to check out more CSM news, please visit our forums at http://centerstageminis.lozt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16.

Thanks again to everyone on the Acaeum and in the old-school gaming community for their support!

Matt S.
Center Stage Miniatures

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:27 pm 

Cool - order put in.  I really like my new dragolisk, btw.  Am actually considering trying to paint it.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:48 am 

The Dragolisk is really awesome looking.  (Too bad I can't paint to save my life.)  Anyway, it might be a nice steed for the crazy beast wandering in the Watery Caverns under the Dark Chateau. :twisted:

Also, I'm very much looking forward to the Sea Devils.  Next time I run U3, they are definitely hitting the table.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:12 pm 

Thanks for all the kind words. And since several people have requested some better pictures, here are the painted versions of CSM-002a and CSM-002b.

CSM-002a - Sea Devil w/Conch (Painted by Chris Wilson)

CSM-002b - Sea Devil w/Trident (Painted by Chris Wilson)

Both are available in the CSM online store. CSM-002a is on hand, and CSM-002b will be cast shortly along with August's CSM-003, Lamia.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:55 pm 

smarmy1 wrote:The Dragolisk is really awesome looking.  (Too bad I can't paint to save my life.)  Anyway, it might be a nice steed for the crazy beast wandering in the Watery Caverns under the Dark Chateau. :twisted:

Good call, smarmy!

smarmy1 wrote:Also, I'm very much looking forward to the Sea Devils.  Next time I run U3, they are definitely hitting the table.

Or some CoC, of course ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:22 pm 

It's been awhile, but Center Stage Miniatures newest release (actually it's been in the works for some time) is CSM-005, Peryton, sculpted by Jason Wiebe.

Casting begins next week, and once the castings are in the mail, I'll be taking pre-orders at 10% off retail price for a very short time.

I hadn't planned to release this guy for awhile, but after listing two masters on eBay, a small torrent of emails once they sold prompted me to get them into production ASAP.

Painted by Joe Wiedeman of Studio Minidragon. The Peryton is $10.50 USD but will be available for $9.45 in the limited pre-order.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:22 am 

That's a cool-looking Peryton! My only critique is that it is not holding the still-beating heart of some poor adventurer (just kidding). Jason Wiebe does great work (check out some of his Reaper work, for example).

And $10 is about $90 less than what the RP 11-series Peryton is usually listed for on eBay, so if you need a Peryton, I would be inclined to go with this one.

Great paint job on the one pictured.

Edit: Just added CSM to my list of manufacturers on my blog.
Edit 2: Now with blog post regarding the Peryton.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

PreviousNext