More Vintage-Style Miniatures for your Role-Playing Games...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:51 pm 

Hi, everyone. As some of you know, I've been working for the last year or so on establishing a line of miniatures reminiscent of those we used in the vintage days of role-playing gaming.

Please check out the result below, and feel free to chime in with your thoughts either here or on the forums. Input is always welcome and certainly appreciated!

http://www.centerstagerpgs.com

Thanks, all!

For those of you who would prefer to not navigate outside of The Acaeum, here is a picture of the finished green....

CSM-001 Dragolisk, Sculpted by Dave Summers

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:54 pm 

Howdy,

Looks fantastic!

What scale are your figures going to be cast in, 25mm or 28mm? It would be nice to see a line of 25mm to be compatible with all of the old school miniatures that are available in auctions and in existing collections.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 pm 

Thanks, Paul, for the kind words.

The decisions of scale and slotted versus integral bases were the two most difficult choices to make.

While my original intention was to stick with 25mm scale, so that CS minis would be compatible with true old-school miniatures, I decided to stick with 28mm. After consulting some industry folks for their opinions, 28mm scale would keep my figure lines compatible with not just modern miniatures, but modern map tools (Dundjinni, WoTC map tiles) etc. that players are currently using.

If it is any consolation, the Dragolisk was sculpted with the instructions that it should be equal in scale to dragons from the 11-series Council of Wyrms line - so there is some old school continuity there. Human-sized figures (from the CS "Age of Heroes" line, debuting this fall) will be 28mm scale, but will have the old school versus World-of-Warcraft look so present in the industry today.

As for slotted versus integral bases, the second and third releases in the monster line are designed for slotted bases - but later releases will feature an integral base which can easily be glued or attached to a Warmachine-style slotted base for those who wish to have their miniatures on slotted bases.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:03 pm 

The Center Stage Miniatures website is now up and running, and I'd cordially like to invite any and all Acaeum members who are miniature enthusiasts to sign up!

Pre-orders for the first miniature, the Dragolisk (CSM-001) began yesterday, and the miniature will be discounted by 10% for pre-orders until May 1st. The initial casting run is set at 50 pieces, and more will be cast only if demand warrants it!

Here's a link to the news item on TheMiniaturesPage...

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/490616/

And to the Center Stage home page:

http://www.centerstagerpgs.com

Hopefully, I can share a little bit of old school metal goodness with our fellow vintage gamers.

Thanks as always to the great folks at Acaeum for your support! (And special thanks to Jaybird, Smarmy1, and ScketreWhisp, without whom this venture would have been MUCH more difficult!)

Last edited by Magelin on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:47 pm 

Order placed---I'll need this when I run S4! :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:50 pm 

It looks pretty slick.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:37 am 

Wow, that dragolisk looks awesome!

2 questions, out of pure curiosity:

1) Are you doing your own casting?

2) What type of metal are you casting with?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 am 

Nice looking, Matt!  I hope you bring these when you come to Texas in June!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 am 

Great stuff, Matt. The dragolisk looks fantastic. So good in fact, that one is winging its way up north.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 am 

Thanks, everyone for the comments and input.

Black Orc Games, right here in Northeast Ohio, is doing the casting at this point. They seem like a capable bunch of guys, and the quality of their castings looks great. I am not certain of the breakdown of their metal, but it looks very clean and is indeed lead-free. To me, it looks comparable with the metal used by the major mini-makers. I will request a breakdown today (if that's possible) and forward the info.

Badmike - I'll be bringing two down to NTRPGCon for the raffle, and might have some extras and perhaps even the next pre-release in hand for the show. Since it's more of an active gaming con than a dealer con, however, they'll be stowed away in a suitcase for anyone who might ask.... :)

Doing my own casting at this point is not in the budget, but if the releases over this year do well, I may consider buying some equipment next year...and taking a crash-course in moldmaking and spincasting.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm 

Center_Stage wrote:While my original intention was to stick with 25mm scale, so that CS minis would be compatible with true old-school miniatures, I decided to stick with 28mm. After consulting some industry folks for their opinions, 28mm scale would keep my figure lines compatible with not just modern miniatures, but modern map tools (Dundjinni, WoTC map tiles) etc. that players are currently using.

Don't let anyone give you grief about scale, or tell you 28 mm is somehow not old-school.  

I don't claim to be typical of mini-buyers in general, but I can't get worked up about the 28mm / 25mm disparity.  I mix my figures as recklessly as I did when I was 12.  If I want a female elf, I dig out a female elf; who cares if she's 3mm taller than the cleric?

In the 70's & 80's every manufacturer said their figures were 25mm scale, and every one of them was fudging it.  What do they say about a rule honored more in the breach than the observance?  Just put a Tom Meier (Ral Partha) sculpt next to a Neville Stocken (Archive) or a Heritage Dungeon Dweller for an idea of how elastic that 25mm scale could be.  

As long as the monsters are big and scary, you're doing OK in my book. :)

Shanghai fun & friends!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:08 am 

Howdy,

stumbling tiger wrote:As long as the monsters are big and scary, you're doing OK in my book. :)

The problem is when your orc is bigger than your ogre or when your fighter towers over the clay golem that just crushed his head in.

Sorry, but for those of us who've been collecting for awhile the 28mm scale is a deal breaker. I have 6,000 miniature in 25mm scale and I'm not about to start over at 28mm.

It does matter and if someone is considering making miniatures in an "old school" style, the size should match as well.

There is a reason why Ral Partha 25mm AD&D 11-series miniatures sell for 3 to 10 times what Reaper offers and 3 to 100 times what the plastic mini's go for.

So, again, I state the need for such a line of 25mm compatible miniatures.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:
I have 6,000 miniature in 25mm scale and I'm not about to start over at 28mm.

Holy cow! How the hell do you store these? (and doing some silly maths, if each of your minis had a 20mm base width (a guestimate as presumably many are preslotta), if you lined them up they would stretch 120 meters - blimey :D )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 am 

Actually Paul, should you get a few minutes spare - could you line them up as suggested and take a picture (and put them in height order as well so they look neat) :D  :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:43 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

The problem is when your orc is bigger than your ogre or when your fighter towers over the clay golem that just crushed his head in.

Sorry, but for those of us who've been collecting for awhile the 28mm scale is a deal breaker. I have 6,000 miniature in 25mm scale and I'm not about to start over at 28mm.

It does matter and if someone is considering making miniatures in an "old school" style, the size should match as well.

There is a reason why Ral Partha 25mm AD&D 11-series miniatures sell for 3 to 10 times what Reaper offers and 3 to 100 times what the plastic mini's go for.

So, again, I state the need for such a line of 25mm compatible miniatures.

Futures Bright,

Paul

I understand your stance, but a brand new, great looking, well-crafted miniature is hard to find.  And let's face facts, this dragolisk is friggan awesome.  The slight turn of the head with the open jaws, the raised claw, and the motion of the middle leg makes me want to use it.  It looks like a kitten about to bat a ball of wool or, in this case, the head off one of my players.

I've used terrain or other objects to solve the height issue, and never had a problem.  

Besides, this critter is going to be a blast to paint.  I've already got the paint scheme in mind.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:20 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:The problem is when your orc is bigger than your ogre or when your fighter towers over the clay golem that just crushed his head in.

Well, they are miniatures that represent imaginary characters and not the "real" imaginary characters themselves.  So as long as my imagination works, the clay golem (or whatever) is as large as it "really" is compared to my character.

Yes, my imagination does not need as much of a workout if all of the miniatures are the same scale, but that's not a reasonable expectation.  Didn't one of the Dragontooth dragons crack and fall apart because it was a huge solid casting?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 pm 

Howdy,

JohnGaunt wrote:Well, they are miniatures that represent imaginary characters and not the "real" imaginary characters themselves.  So as long as my imagination works, the clay golem (or whatever) is as large as it "really" is compared to my character.

Why use miniatures at all if you don't care how they look on the table next to each other?

Futures Bright,

Paul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:13 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:

I have never, repeat, NEVER seen anyone actually use the Ral Partha's in game play...I thought they existed for the sole purpose of selling back and forth among collectors for ever increasing prices!!!  :wink:

As someone mentioned, scale isn't a gamebreaker for me unless it's just ridiculous (ie, the orc bigger than the ogre, etc).  And in a lot of cases I use "generic" monsters (say, a bagload of unpainted minis, or WOTC plastic orcs) when the characters face a horde of baddies.  It doesn't diminish the game in any way shape or form.  Besides, I've been collecting minis since the late 70s and I have plenty of example of "official" creatures or characters from those days that are totally off-scale and I never worried about it much.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Next