I have more than one copy, and one has only three 7%       7%  [ 1 ]
I have more than one copy and they all have three 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
I have more than one copy and they all have four 27%       27%  [ 4 ]
GTF! Mine's in shrink and I ain't opening it to find out 0%       0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:44 pm 

Direct from TLG, I think there were 4. Can't recall for certain, as I take all maps out of boxes or books and unfold them (never to be refolded). And I had the Eastmark folio, as well as a couple of freebies from the LGGC.

Love maps!  :)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - William Shakespeare

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:35 am 

JasonZavoda wrote:I bought 20 copies.

Way to go, Jason! That's a nice tidy profit. An easy $2K even after everyone's fees are paid. I wish I'd done that when RAR was released but I didn't have the confidence back then. I hope you're right about DCC#51, but I only have the one copy, and a lonely DCC#35 beside it.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:00 am 

Just looked at mine - purchased at their booth at Gencon (not shrink-wrapped)

One double-sided Wilderness map (colour) - Player's on one side, CK on the other

One single-sided b&w castle precincts

One single-sided b&w "Mouths of Madness and The Storerooms (level one) also includes castle fortress cellar."

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 am 

Seems to be a Gencon and pre-November thing.
Wonder if we should all bin the MoM maps and pass then off as first printings?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Way to go, Jason! That's a nice tidy profit. An easy $2K even after everyone's fees are paid. I wish I'd done that when RAR was released but I didn't have the confidence back then. I hope you're right about DCC#51, but I only have the one copy, and a lonely DCC#35 beside it.

Well, you are one of the main reasons I bought so many.

I was impressed by the sheer detergent box size of DCC#51 (and have fond memories of detergent box war games). I missed out on DCC#35

Ive gone through the first book of DCC#51 and while incredibly sparce in things to kill and loot I think it has a good core of an adventure. Havent gone through the next three booklets. Night Below was better but suffered from a similar sparseness. Personally I prefer long campaigns when adventuring from 1st lvl to 15th but I do understand the motivations to rush. And the DCC line is filled with material to flesh out the boxed set.

As far as the future...  DCC#51 still has my vote on good investment status. I just view normal investments in five year intervals.

In that way I think DCC#35 suffers from being a collectable but of much less useful desirability than DCC#51. It is a campaign setting not an adventure (though with two adventure included). DCC#30 boxed is a much more grail like item.

But Upper Works is a legend. Ive been waiting for almost 30 years to see it published, and Gygax passing away leaving it unfinished, 4th edition and other events conspire to see that this version of it is unique. A bad economy, bad time for pen and paper RPGs... investing alarm bells start going off. Im sorry I didnt have the money to buy 200 copies.

But honestly you came down on DCC#51 so hard, along with other events, and what money I did have went from Goodman games material to Upper Works. Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 am 

In the 5 year thing, I don't think DCC#51 will rise much beyond $100. But I suspect we'll see CZ:UW top $300 before the end of the year. You see, DCC#51 is hampered by the fact that it was thrown together in a hurry to fill the gap. It has no protracted developement of playtesting, and you can sense it. Now in time, 10-15 years, that won't matter. People buy absolute shite now at premium prices, just because they want to have them 'cos they're rare. A huge chunk of non-TSR D&D from the late 70's and early 80's is crap product. Those that aren't (Starstone for example) are legendary, but the prices aren't all that different from the legendary and the crap. It's an age thing, and you pay for the fact that it survived in small quantities.

Now, with the eBay Generations, I don't know how long you need to wait to be able to cash in on pure age and condition, but I suspect for the short to medium term DCC#51 will be handicapped by it's writing.

As for CZ:UW, you have done pretty damned well. I suspect you're not the only one sitting on a tidy little pile of these. There aren't that many on the board who have the money and the will to splash out for 20 copies, but there are probably one or two with similar (maybe larger) stashes. Time will tell. Myself, I bought all the copies I could get my hands on that made it this far across the globe. I have ten left, but maybe a slight edge on resale being far removed from the US.

All this can come crashing down the minute Gail agrees to republish with TLG for the income stream. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened sooner than anyone thinks. You never know.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:All this can come crashing down the minute Gail agrees to republish with TLG for the income stream. Wouldn't be surprised if it happened sooner than anyone thinks. You never know.

As another collector said to me, the Troll Lords boxed set is the original printing, the original edition.  Anything that follows is at best a second printing, possibly edited and changed in appearance to become another edition.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 am 

I think such a scenario would only boost the value and collectibility (?) of the original.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:22 am 

Three months down the line, if they started reprinting now with no differentiation, maybe I could se dilution in  the market. But you're right. It ain't gonna happen. Would like to know what's happening behind the scenes with this though. People know there's money to be had in this project, and writers are sitting on shedloads of unpublished work. It's money in the bank for someone if they can get their act together.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Three months down the line, if they started reprinting now with no differentiation, maybe I could se dilution in  the market. But you're right. It ain't gonna happen. Would like to know what's happening behind the scenes with this though. People know there's money to be had in this project, and writers are sitting on shedloads of unpublished work. It's money in the bank for someone if they can get their act together.

Anything coming out this year will be 4th edition, and this set is C&C

There is a dramatic difference between the two. Anyone changing Upper Works to fit 4th edition will change the very life and blood of this set. Unless they simply reprint the set as is no future set is going to capture what makes Upper Works so unique.

This set is a piece of gaming history that I do not see being recaptured in any form in the near future.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:48 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Anything coming out this year will be 4th edition, and this set is C&C.

Good point.
CZ:UW does take you back to the early 80's, doesn't it?

Previous